Georgia Babies
Options

Let's discuss Hand Foot Mouth...

We have a Dr's appointment at 2 today but I'm pretty sure this is what Sophie has.  When Gavin had it, he only had the mouth sores inside his mouth.  He had a fever and drooled and basically screamed for a week.  So that's what I was expecting but Sophie has a different set of symptoms.  No fever, sores OUTSIDE her mouth and in the diaper area.  Some red spots on one hand- but no sores.  Her sleep has been a little restless but nothing like what I remember with Gavin.  She is also teething something fierce at the moment- at least 3 teeth at once.  So my initial thought was that this was a teething/drool rash- especially since there was no fever.  That's why I sent her on to school.  But after just 2 hours they called and said that I had to pick her up.  So what do you guys think- could this really be HFM even w/o a fever?  Is she going to start screaming soon or maybe we might dodge that bullet this time?  What were the symptoms for your LO?  I guess I'm just hoping that it won't be so severe this time.  I cringe at the thought of what we went through with Gavin. 

Re: Let's discuss Hand Foot Mouth...

• Options
    Oh and PLEASE tell me that Gavin can't get it again???

• Options

For us, it wasn't that bad.  Our symptoms were low grade fever, poor sleeping, and no appetite.  She didn't seem too concerned about it at all once I figured out to give her milk and fruit/veggie pouches because that's all she wanted to eat. 

I hope that's not what it is, but if so, it isn't always unbearable.  No idea if kids get immune to it after having it once but if you find out, report back because I'd love to know.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Geneva had it twice. Never presented with a fever. First time, only had one mouth sore and some spots on her hiney. Second time, only had the spots on her butt. I, on the other hand, got the ulcers, spots on my hands AND spots on my feet.

Both times with Geneva, I didn't realize she had it until AFTER she was past contagion. If Sophie is presenting symptoms, she's already probably past contagion. They're usually most contagious a few days before it's evident. Same with flu and colds. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemyrall:

Both times with Geneva, I didn't realize she had it until AFTER she was past contagion. If Sophie is presenting symptoms, she's already probably past contagion. They're usually most contagious a few days before it's evident. Same with flu and colds. 

Oh wow.  The other moms at our church are really going to HATE me.  Sophie always starts showing symptoms after she's there... like within hours.  This was the case w/ strep and now this.  She was there on Friday and Sunday.  Oops.

• Options

Ethan and Jack both had it and fortunately for us, it was never really bad on either of them.  They both had fevers and poor appetites and sores on their feet, hands and mouth (just a few, though), but Jack had them on his bottom, too.  Jack's cleared up quicker than Ethan's and he was back in school after 48 hours.  When Jack came down with it, I called the pediatrician's office and asked if Ethan could get it again or was he immune since he had it when he was a baby.  They told me that he definitely could get it again.  Luckily, he did not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We just had it 2 months ago or something like that.  I took him to the pedi right as 1 sore appeared in his mouth, but at that point she didn't say it was HFM, just a virus, that was a Thursday afternoon.  Then Friday he was sent home from daycare with a fever, by Sunday because he wouldn't eat, we noticed more sores in his mouth I had enough and just took him to urgent care for an answer, they diagnosed HFM.  As others have said, once the fever is gone, and any blisters/sores on hands and feet are dried up, then she's no longer contagious. I thought I had read online that sometimes a fever may not be present with HFM.  But I could be making that up.  Luckily his sleep wasn't disrupted but boy he was a handful and a half when he was awake.  Mama couldn't do anything to make him better.  I am glad we crossed that bridge, however Fifth Disease was going around his class...  I think that's the rash he's finally showing now.  I swear my kid gets EVERYTHING! 

• Options
    Diagnosis confirmed- HFM.  Although the doc said she could totally see why I was thinking teething and that would have been her first instinct as well.  Since she doesn't have a fever, its going to be hard to tell when she is no longer contagious.  Basically, we have to wait for the spots to stop appearing (they are currently multiplying before our eyes!)  She thinks she'll be fine by Thanksgiving.  But I have two pregnant SIL's and I'm not sure if its ok to be around them.  I should have asked but I forgot.  Oh and yes... Gavin CAN get it again.  Crossing fingers he doesn't!

• Options
    Stacie, as best I know, if your SILs are in the first trimester, it's NOT okay for them to be around HF&M. It's bad news. It's a herpes virus that can cause complications. As always, check with your pedi to be sure.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagemyrall:
    Stacie, as best I know, if your SILs are in the first trimester, it's NOT okay for them to be around HF&M. It's bad news. It's a herpes virus that can cause complications. As always, check with your pedi to be sure.

They are both late 2nd tri but even so, I think we're going to sit this one out just to be safe.  As my mom put it, this is my pay back for all the times I got sick on a holiday and ruined her party plans :o P

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"