Houston Babies
Options

what did the hospital provide?

FTM and at 35 weeks. Been packing our hospital bag all week and the duffle bag keeps getting heavier and heavier (luckily we got a rolling one!). DH asked if we were planning to move there, lol.  I'm trying not to over pack, but it's difficult especially since I don't know what to expect. Can any of you ladies recall which items the hospital provided and which items I would need to bring from home?

Here's what I have so far, please tell which items are not necessary:

Two black sweatpants in case I don't like the hospital gown and want to change after delivery
Tank tops x 2
Socks x 2 pairs
Black granny panties x 2 
Nursing bras x 2
Going home clothes (actually going to wear 1 of the sweatpants and a t-shirt)
Comfy robe if I need to cover up for visitors
Slippers in case I need to roam the halls during labor 
A handful of overnight pads if I don't take to the hospital grade
My own pillow with non-white pillowcase
Small fleece blanket for DH
PJs for DH
Going home clothes for DH
Going home outfit for LO 
A swaddler for LO 
Crossword puzzle book to keep me distracted

Items to pack last minute:

Laptop/charger
Cell phone/charger
Camera/charger
Hair brush
Hair ties
Headband
Lotion
Chapstick
Toothbrushes for DH and I
Toothpaste
Mouthwash 
Glasses for me
Contact solution for DH
Snacks for DH

Re: what did the hospital provide?

• Options

The necessary things were given to me by the hospital (Memorial Hermann):

*Dermoplast

*mesh underwear

*huuuge pad which were needed

*Tucks

*abdominal binder

*squirt bottle

*nipple cream

*extra pillows (didn't want to haul the boppy)

*clothes for LO as well as aspirator (don't forget to grab), Pampers, wipes and formula if desired

I was happy to have brought:

*ear plugs and sleep mask

*IPAD

*nursing gown plus robe

*old flip flops for the yucky shower

*hair dryer

*toiletries including make up

* change for vending machine

*warm socks and chapstick

*games for the time when the contractions are still bearable

*cardstock for footprint (make sure it's big enough)

*cameras, phones incl extra batteries and chargers

*notepad to write down questions for doc/nurses

I brought way too many clothes which I ended up not wearing. Since they check you a lot in the first 24 hours after delivery I think the hospital gown or your own would be the most useful. HTH

• Options
    imageAmyFTM:

FTM and at 35 weeks. Been packing our hospital bag all week and the duffle bag keeps getting heavier and heavier (luckily we got a rolling one!). DH asked if we were planning to move there, lol.  I'm trying not to over pack, but it's difficult especially since I don't know what to expect. Can any of you ladies recall which items the hospital provided and which items I would need to bring from home?

Some hospitals will tell you to leave the overnight bag in the car until you are moved to the recovery room, otherwise, it's just in the way - so don't stress if you don't get the bag out of the car when you guys are getting out at L&D.  I would make a small bag with the things you know you might need in L&D and bring that, and leave the rest in the car.  DH can always get it and his bag later.

Two black sweatpants in case I don't like the hospital gown and want to change after delivery - I stayed in the gown - the nurses are constantly checking you down there, and pants would be annoying to be taking off and putting back on all of the time, not to mention it gets pretty messy, so you don't really want to do laundry once you get home. 

Tank tops x 2 - I didn't wear anything on top the first time around, but sometimes I did feel strange being braless under my gown when ppl would come visit the hospital, so this time, I am going to bring a couple of nursing tanks to wear under the gown just for some support.  However, it was nice having automatic skin to skin w/o any tank, though - so I'll have to see how I like it.  If you bring tanks - I would suggest nursing tanks (if you are BFing).

Socks x 2 pairs - I can't remember if they provided this? 

Black granny panties x 2 - I wouldn't bother - you will likely be in the mesh panties with the HUGE pads the whole time in the hospital.  Your granny panties will likely be stretched out with all of the padding - and you will have to wash or throw them out when you leave.  I would save them for at home.

Nursing bras x 2 - I would just combine the bra and tank and just bring nursing tanks, if anything.  A nursing bra plus a tank on top would be cumbersome to nurse, especially if you end up wanting to do skin to skin and have to strip down completely.

Going home clothes (actually going to wear 1 of the sweatpants and a t-shirt) - I brought an actual outfit b/c usually you are taking pictures of "going home" and leaving the hospital, so I didn't want to be too frumpy. Bring maternity jeans and a larger shirt, though b/c you most likely won't fit in your old stuff, yet.  It will be like you are around 5 months PG, probably.

Comfy robe if I need to cover up for visitors - Usually the hospital will provide a robe thing, or a second gown to wrap around your backside if you are just worrying about covering up, but if you have a comfy one that you like, you can bring it. Also, some hospitals are pretty cold - so if are cold natured, might be good to bring something, if it's warm.

Slippers in case I need to roam the halls during labor - If you are trying to pare down your bag, you can skip the socks if you are going to bring the slippers or vice versa.  It also depends on what your plan was - I got drugs, so I wasn't roaming anywhere - so I didn't really need them.

A handful of overnight pads if I don't take to the hospital grade - this is fine, but likley they have all kinds to try if you don't like one type.

My own pillow with non-white pillowcase - meh - I didn't bother - they had plenty of pillows there, and I am not particular with pillows, but I have heard of some ppl doing this.

Small fleece blanket for DH - hospital will likely have additional blankets, but if he is particular, then this is fine. 

PJs for DH - yep.

Going home clothes for DH - yep.

Going home outfit for LO - yep.  you may want to bring a few sizes of things - a newborn and maybe a 0-3.  Depends on how big baby is and the brand of clothes in what will fit.  (Gerber brand stuff is super small, just FYI)

A swaddler for LO - They wrap them pretty tight with blankets while in the hospital, so I wouldn't bother.  And you won't be able to swaddle them in the carseat when you go home, so I would just leave it at home.

Crossword puzzle book to keep me distracted - eh - maybe, but the time went pretty fast while I was in the hospital.  Either I had visitors, I was trying to get some sleep or eat, or I was with the baby, so I didn't feel like I had a lot of "boring" downtime.

Laptop/charger - yep
    Cell phone/charger - yep
    Camera/charger - yep
    Hair brush - yep
    Hair ties - yep
    Headband - I dont' have bangs, so unnecessary for me - but if you are used to them - yep
    Lotion - I am particular with my lotion, so yes.
    Chapstick - yes - your lips will get dry, especially while pushing when you can't have water, etc.
    Toothbrushes for DH and I - yep
    Toothpaste - yep
    Mouthwash - yep
    Glasses for me - yep
    Contact solution for DH - yep
    Snacks for DH - yep.  He should be able to go to the cafeteria to eat, but it would probably good to have a few things in the bag, just in case he can't get down there right away.

I am also throwing a toiletries bag in with travel shampoo/conditioner, soap, razor, etc.  The hospital probably provides these, but if you like your own things, then you might bring them.  Also, if you have hair products you want to bring (hair dryer, flat iron, etc.).  Some people don't bother, but if you feel like you want a refresher - sometimes it's nice to take a shower and "get ready" for the day with hair and makeup to feel better, especially for visitors, since otherwise, you are in a hospital bed all day.

If you have a Boppy (or My Brestfriend-type BFing pillow), I would recommend bringing that, as well (if you plan to BF). 

Know how to work your carseat.  The nurses are not "allowed" to help you, (although ours did), but we felt clueless when we got to the car at the end.  We had installed the seat, but didn't really practice loosening/tightening the straps, etc., so we felt dumb trying to get him in the seat for the first time!  lol

HTH!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with pp on a baby book or something to get the baby footprint - usually the hospital will tell you to bring it.
  • Options

Thanks Ladies! This was all very helpful. I knew I was over packing just didn't know which items were excessive. I'm delivering at Methodist in TMC so we'll be in the same room for both L&D and recovery. When we did the hospital tour, they suggested that we valet park since the cost of 24 hour parking in the garage (across the street) and valet is the same. This would mean though that we would need to take everything with us since we wouldn't have access to our car (no in-and-out privileges).

I'm not going with a boppy but instead we're using the Leachco Podster lounger since it has more uses. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIXOTQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER 

Do you still think I should bring this to the hospital? Or will extra pillows be enough? 

• Options
    imageAmyFTM:

Thanks Ladies! This was all very helpful. I knew I was over packing just didn't know which items were excessive. I'm delivering at Methodist in TMC so we'll be in the same room for both L&D and recovery. When we did the hospital tour, they suggested that we valet park since the cost of 24 hour parking in the garage (across the street) and valet is the same. This would mean though that we would need to take everything with us since we wouldn't have access to our car (no in-and-out privileges).

I'm not going with a boppy but instead we're using the Leachco Podster lounger since it has more uses. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIXOTQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER 

Do you still think I should bring this to the hospital? Or will extra pillows be enough? 

I brought my Boppy for BFing - not to put the baby in.  Can you use the Podster for BFing? I didn't see how it can wrap around you, but I didn't really look at all of the functionality.  If you can't use it for BFing, then I wouldn't bring it - the baby will be in the hospital bassinet or people's arms most of the time.  They will have plenty of pillows to prop up your BFing holds.

• Options
    imageAmyFTM:

Two black sweatpants in case I don't like the hospital gown and want to change after delivery-The first time I took my own clothes, but wasn't in the hospital long enough to really need them. I stayed longer with my second baby so I ended up wearing my yoga pants the second day and the day we went home. 
    Tank tops x 2-See above
    Socks x 2 pairs- I wore flip flops when I was walking around and never wore socks, but I generally don't like to wear socks ever.
    Black granny panties x 2 -Use the mesh panties they provide. It sounds horrific now, but I promise you that you will want them vs your own.
    Nursing bras x 2-Definitely useful.
    Going home clothes (actually going to wear 1 of the sweatpants and a t-shirt)
    Comfy robe if I need to cover up for visitors-If you're going to be in your own clothes I don't think this will be necessary. I found the hospital gown to be sufficient, but I did wear a tank underneath my hospital gown. The second and third days I wore my yoga pants/tank tops and a hoodie
    Slippers in case I need to roam the halls during labor -I wore flip flops, but slippers would work if you prefer.
    A handful of overnight pads if I don't take to the hospital grade- Similar to the mesh panties they provide, the pads they provide are the size of a lifeboat, but SO useful. Hoard those suckers and take as many as you can home. My nurses probably thought I was bleeding out because I asked for so many, but they're huge and great for when you're at home (overnight especially). I packed my own, but didn't use a single one of them. Hoarding also applies to Tucks, Dermaplast, the squirt bottle, and the pads you lay on in bed.
    My own pillow with non-white pillowcase- I took my own as well.
    Small fleece blanket for DH- Mine suffered with hospital blankets, but we asked for extra. If you're going to take something for him I'd take a pillow over a blanket.

PJs for DH- yep
    Going home clothes for DH- yep, although DH ended up going home the second night because someone needed to take care of our dogs
    Going home outfit for LO - agree with PP that you might want something in different sizes and Gerber stuff is meant to fit little people. My DS wears 9 mos stuff in almost every other brand, but wears 18 mos onesies from Gerber.
    A swaddler for LO -The hospital will provide (pretty nice) blankets that give a good, tight swaddle. I would leave your swaddle blanket at home.
    Crossword puzzle book to keep me distracted- I agree with PP, I didn't find I had a lot of boring down time, especially if you have a computer/tablet with you

Laptop/charger
    Cell phone/charger
    Camera/charger
    Hair brush
    Hair ties
    Headband
    Lotion
    Chapstick
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash 
    Glasses for me
    Contact solution for DH
    Snacks for DH

I think your last minute list is pretty close to mine. I also brought my flat iron and make up because I felt better "getting ready" in the morning and I didn't feel like death when I had visitors. I was also induced and it took FOREVER, so they stopped the pictocin the first night and started again the next morning. I actually got up early and took a shower and got ready like normal (minus makeup) the day I actually gave birth. Which, looking back, I'm thankful I did. I took a shower that morning at 4 am and DS wasn't born until 11:20 that night. I would have felt like crap if I hadn't been able to shower for 2 days.

I also took my boppy, but didn't use it. I didn't look closely at the functions of your baby pillow, but I would probably leave it at home. The baby spends a lot of time in the bassinet when you're not holding them, so unless it's helpful for BF'ing and you think you'll really need it, it's just one more thing to keep track of. 

They'll also provide diapers, wipes, t-shirts, blankets, formula (if you're FF) and pretty much any other baby necessity you could need, so I would really only take a couple going home outfits for the baby. Hoarding also applies to baby stuff. =) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageAmyFTM:

I wouldn't bring that. Where would you put it? Is it purely somewhere to stick the baby? If your baby is lying down, he/she will be in the bassinet or with you in the bed. I wouldn't put it on the small couch/bed in the Methodist rooms, and I wouldn't use it on the bed because that would mean I'd have to be standing up!

• Options

Stay in a gown after birth. Preferably the hospital's gown. They will be checking you several times no matter if you have c/s or vaginal birth. You won't feel like lifting your hips and shimmying your pants down. And you will likely leak out of your diaper-like pad and mesh panties, so why stain your own clothing when you can just stain theirs? (And overnight pads are not big enough. You really do need the industrial-strength hospital ones.)

I wouldn't bother with a swaddler. The nurses know how to actually swaddle a baby and you might want to take the opportunity to learn how. Done correctly it really works well.

Both hospitals I was in provided DH with a blanket and pillow.

I'd bring a pad of paper  and pen - you never know what you'll need to write down. Random thoughts, instructions from the pedi, lactation consultant's phone number,  etc.

Change for the snack machine.

- Jena
  • Options

I packed fewer items when I delivered the second. I had two c-sections, so I knew I would be there for at least 4 days. Delivering vaginally means fewer days, typically. That's something to keep in mind.

The hospital (Woman's) had all the necessities: gowns (fine with this), socks with skid resistant bottoms (replaces slippers), pads, water bottle for cleaning, pain medications ;), sheets, towels, pump.

A toiletry bag is important. You'll want to brush your hair and teeth.

Here are some comments on the items you're packing you could consider for elimination and as general thoughts.

I sent my husband home to change, shower, etc.; he did not need stuff up there in our experience. All husband things are optional, imo.

Are these sitting on the waist high enough in case you have a c-section? - Two black sweatpants in case I don't like the hospital gown and want to change after delivery 
    They have these and they're skid-proof; ask for them: Socks x 2 pairs
    Good to have: Black granny panties x 2 ; Nursing bras x 2
    Unnecessary; two hospital gowns worn simultaneously, one opening front and one back, provide privacy/modesty: Comfy robe if I need to cover up for visitors
    Unnecessary;use hospitals skid-proof socks: Slippers in case I need to roam the halls during labor 
    Unnecessary; hospital provides plenty: A handful of overnight pads if I don't take to the hospital grade
    They'll give you more pillows; optional; nice to have if you're particular, though: My own pillow with non-white pillowcase
    You're being nice; they'll give you one, if you ask probably: Small fleece blanket for DH
    I sent him home to change; it is not that fun to be up there; sleep is poor for husbands and someone needed to feel human: PJs for DH
    Again, he's free to come and go; consider he can go shower somewhere real: Going home clothes for DH
    This is nice, but I did not do this with the second; I figured out that I had no idea what size he would be; he was cute in anything: Going home outfit for LO 
    Didn't need this; used hospital blankets: A swaddler for LO 

I agree with the importance of all electronics and toiletry items, except if your husband can go home, let him go take a real shower and take care of himself at home:

Nailclippers? Make sure you're all nail clipped, if that ever annoys you. This is something I keep in my toiletry bag. 

Laptop/charger
    Cell phone/charger
    Camera/charger

Hair brush
    Hair ties
    Headband
    Lotion
    Chapstick
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash 
    Glasses for me 

Contact solution for DH
    Snacks for DH

Leave room to take some things from the hospital: 

On another note, take all those cotton mesh cleaning cloths the hospital will grant you; ask the nurse for another pack; I find them very useful for newborns, especially if they have a clogged tear duct that requires warm compresses - these are handy and clean. 

There will be other items they give you. Keep that in mind when packing. 

• Options

With my second baby, I really liked having our own blankets (big enough to swaddle) and our own hats. This may sound silly, but I take a lot of pictures, and it was fun to be able to dress him in those each day. I didn't bother with actual clothes for the hospital stay though because they are pretty much always swaddled if they aren't getting a diaper changed or getting checked out/bathed. The hospital-provided shirts were fine for him.

My husband preferred to shower at home, so he went home in the clothes he wore the day before and freshened up at home. So he didn't require much at the hospital other than something to sleep in and a toothbrush. He did always have a sweatshirt or fleece with him because those rooms are cold. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think you've got it covered.  We didnt have a bag packed because I went into labor early.  I'd suggest just putting one comfy change of clothes for your DH for if he has to meet you from work or something.  Unless you live super far from the hospital, he will probably want to run home and shower/change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

For DS's delivery I brought:

-my own pillow

-my own robe (I had a thin maternity one)

-I did bring sweatpants and nursing tanks, I wanted out of that gown ASAP and was much more comfortable in my own clothes.

- I did not bring underwear, I used their mesh ones.

- I brought slipper socks, thin enough to have on in bed and have the traction for walking the halls.

I wouldn't bring a Boppy or anything for the baby.  They are most likely going to be held or in the bassinet the entire time.

I brought the Gerber side snap shirts for DS and was so glad that I did.  The hospital only had clothes that went over his head so I liked having these to put on him.

Bring extra warm clothes for you DH.  They kept that room sooo cold and DH was freezing even in a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and my robe. :)  The hospital has plenty of blankets so I wouldn't worry about bringing one.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Options
    imageayersfam20:

For DS's delivery I brought:

-my own pillow

-my own robe (I had a thin maternity one)

-I did bring sweatpants and nursing tanks, I wanted out of that gown ASAP and was much more comfortable in my own clothes.

- I did not bring underwear, I used their mesh ones.

- I brought slipper socks, thin enough to have on in bed and have the traction for walking the halls.

I wouldn't bring a Boppy or anything for the baby.  They are most likely going to be held or in the bassinet the entire time.

I brought the Gerber side snap shirts for DS and was so glad that I did.  The hospital only had clothes that went over his head so I liked having these to put on him.

Bring extra warm clothes for you DH.  They kept that room sooo cold and DH was freezing even in a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and my robe. :)  The hospital has plenty of blankets so I wouldn't worry about bringing one.

This was me! DH only stayed at the hospital with me 1 night though. And he preferred to shower at home. So he didn't need much. Also... Just FYI- the whole getting checked thing varies. I had a CSection and was not checked  (only my incision area). Yoga Pants, Mesh Panties, Nursing Sports Bra, Tank Top, and Light Robe is all I wore. I was actually very comfortable the entire time in this outfit.

Photobucket
  • Options

I would ditch the panties, robe, pads, pillow, swaddler, and crossword puzzle book.

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Options
    It's not a bad idea to bring things for your husband.  We lived 30+ miles from the hospital, so we really didn't think he'd be going home without us.  Turns out our daughter spent 8 days in the NICU and I was recovering from major abdominal surgery.  Our joyous 2 day hospital stay that we planned turned into a week long nightmare.  We could have lived next door to the hospital and he would not have left either of us there for any reason.  Not saying this to scare you - it just doesn't hurt to be prepared because things may not go the way you plan. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"