Military Families

Ft. Bliss?

I was just wondering if anyone is currently or has been stationed at Ft. Bliss?  My DH just got orders for Ft. Bliss and I have no idea what to expect.  Any advice, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

Re: Ft. Bliss?

• I was stationed at Holloman AFB for a few years, which is about an hour from El Paso.  We used to go to EP alot on the weekends.  El Paso is a big city, and is right on the border with Juarez.  Like, there is a chain link fence and the border gate separating you.  Its been about 5 years since I was there last, so I cant tell you about crime rates and what not, but its a typical big border city.  When I was there, drugs were a huge problem coming over the border (not to scare you!).  It is also in the middle of the desert.  New Mexico is about 20 mins north.  Very hot and dry, lots of people.  April-May is monsoon season.  Strong winds, 30 mps+ every day and rain storms.  It will rain really hard for about 20 mins, then blue skys again.  I would try to get a house on the side of the city opposite the border, because it is such a crime ridden city.  I have been on the base a couple of times.  It seemed nice, but again, this was 5 years ago.  I know this isnt  much help!  Sorry! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecowgirltu:
    I was stationed at Holloman AFB for a few years, which is about an hour from El Paso.  We used to go to EP alot on the weekends.  El Paso is a big city, and is right on the border with Juarez.  Like, there is a chain link fence and the border gate separating you.  Its been about 5 years since I was there last, so I cant tell you about crime rates and what not, but its a typical big border city.  When I was there, drugs were a huge problem coming over the border (not to scare you!).  It is also in the middle of the desert.  New Mexico is about 20 mins north.  Very hot and dry, lots of people.  April-May is monsoon season.  Strong winds, 30 mps+ every day and rain storms.  It will rain really hard for about 20 mins, then blue skys again.  I would try to get a house on the side of the city opposite the border, because it is such a crime ridden city.  I have been on the base a couple of times.  It seemed nice, but again, this was 5 years ago.  I know this isnt  much help!  Sorry! 

Unfortunately, I am stationed at Holloman AFB now. Everything is basically the same, except I think crime rates have gone down a bit. It's not my favorite city, but nicer than this place. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We just PCS'd from Fort Bliss. 

The Pros: Huge base, brand new commissary, amazing PX and movie theater, lots to do...

The Cons: Housing shortages, very brown, dust/sand gets everywhere, hard to find a job if you don't speak spanish, beware of all the horrible drivers without insurance...

For housing I would suggest trying to get a house on post but if you can't look for houses on the east/far east side of El Paso.  

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageRosebud2587:

We just PCS'd from Fort Bliss. 

The Pros: Huge base, brand new commissary, amazing PX and movie theater, lots to do...

The Cons: Housing shortages, very brown, dust/sand gets everywhere, hard to find a job if you don't speak spanish, beware of all the horrible drivers without insurance...

For housing I would suggest trying to get a house on post but if you can't look for houses on the east/far east side of El Paso.  

Thank you.  I refuse to live on post. I am scared of the job hunt though.  I don't speak Spanish.  However, I am former military and am waiting to hear back on my VA claim- hopefully I get at least 30% so I can get disability preference and I do have the Veteran's preference.  I am PCSing from Germany and it was a nightmare trying to find a job here.  All this information is great.  My husband will be in school during the PCS move, so I will pretty much be doing it all by myself with a 2 year old.  I'm not looking forward to it.

• We've been at Bliss for five years now and really enjoy living in El Paso.  Contrary to what a previous poster wrote, the crime rate here is ridiculously low.  We usually rank in the top 3 safest metro areas in the nation!  It's counter-intuitive due to our proximity to Juarez, but unquestionably true.

Expect hot, dry weather, friendly people, and fabulous Mexican food.  PM or page me if you have any other questions about living here. 

• Awesome, thank you.  I just sent you a PM.
  • just sent you a reply.
  • Check out the blog Hormonal Imbalances, they got stationed at Bliss this summer.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"