VBAC

US c/s rate did NOT increase for first time since 1996

Preliminary data for 2010 births shows that the c/s rate was 32.8%, down from 32.9% in 2009.  Yay?  

https://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/11/17/us-cesarean-rate-drops-for-first-time-in-more-than-a-decade.html 

I don't think the VBAC data has been analyzed yet, it will be interesting to see if the VBAC rate has gone up at all. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: US c/s rate did NOT increase for first time since 1996

• Well that's a very good start, now lets hope it snowballs in the right direction, same with VBACS!
  • At least it's not going up...that is probably cause for celebration.  Of course I wish it would be going down more than .1%!  

Do you know how these stats are compiled?  I just wonder if my birth center VBAC will be a part of the 2011 numbers, or if only hospital births are accounted for?  On some of the paperwork I filled out when she was born (may have been birth certificate papers - fuzzy memory of those details), I only had to check vaginal or cesarean, there was no VBAC option. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBrownie_222:

At least it's not going up...that is probably cause for celebration.  Of course I wish it would be going down more than .1%!  

Do you know how these stats are compiled?  I just wonder if my birth center VBAC will be a part of the 2011 numbers, or if only hospital births are accounted for?  On some of the paperwork I filled out when she was born (may have been birth certificate papers - fuzzy memory of those details), I only had to check vaginal or cesarean, there was no VBAC option. 

The CDC data is every birth registered in the US.  If your baby has a birth certificate, your birth data should be included.

Your midwife might have filled out a longer form with more information.  After my home birth, my OB filled out a portion of this long questionnaire and then my husband I filled out the rest and took it to our local health department.  Did you actually file for the birth certificate yourself, or did your birth center do it? 

ETA On our paperwork, there was a box to check for whether the mother had a prior cesarean. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Baby steps, I suppose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageiris427:

The CDC data is every birth registered in the US.  If your baby has a birth certificate, your birth data should be included.

Your midwife might have filled out a longer form with more information.  After my home birth, my OB filled out a portion of this long questionnaire and then my husband I filled out the rest and took it to our local health department.  Did you actually file for the birth certificate yourself, or did your birth center do it? 

ETA On our paperwork, there was a box to check for whether the mother had a prior cesarean. 

They sent it in.  You know, it may have had a prior c/s box.  Hard to remember because she was born at 4:51AM and I'd been up the night before and I was still pretty absorbed with having had a VBAC/oh my gosh this is my new baby.  I am glad to know that my birth counts.

• imageBrownie_222:
    imageiris427:

They sent it in.  You know, it may have had a prior c/s box.  Hard to remember because she was born at 4:51AM and I'd been up the night before and I was still pretty absorbed with having had a VBAC/oh my gosh this is my new baby.  I am glad to know that my birth counts.

The form I filled out had a ton of questions that usually the hospital fills out and the mother never even sees it.  I'm sure it varies by state but I think that is pretty standard.  They basically asked my entire ob/gyn history LOL 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

The form I filled out had a ton of questions that usually the hospital fills out and the mother never even sees it.  I'm sure it varies by state but I think that is pretty standard.  They basically asked my entire ob/gyn history LOL 

Funny the things you learn when you go the less traveled route.  I found it pretty interesting. 

• That's really interesting.  Almost every baby in my family was born via c-section, so it's interesting to see the rates over time.  My sister was born around the 5.5% in 1971, I was a 1979 16.5% ish baby, and my son was in 2010.  At least it's going down a little. 
  • Now if only we could get to the world average! :)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"