June 2012 Moms
Options

Questions about elective ultrasounds

I didn't want to steal anyone's threads but I'm kind of confused about these elective gender prediction ultrasounds. I looked up a couple places in my area that do them. One will do it at 16 weeks and another place will only do it at 18 weeks. My question is: Why would I pay $50+ for a gender prediction US just so that I could maybe know the gender 2 weeks earlier than my paid-for-by-insurance anatomy scan would tell me?

Doesn't everyone get that anatomy scan? Or do those 2 weeks make that big of a difference to you? To be fair, I'd probably pay $50 to know 4 weeks earlier, but not just 2... probably.

Re: Questions about elective ultrasounds

• Options
    lol thanks for pointing this out, cause I was so close to falling for it, but it is really only a two week difference. My doctors will do one during my 18th week and the other ones some MIGHT do it at 16. 
  • Options

For me (IF I did it) its about my sisters who are anxious to buy baby stuff for Christmas. If finding out before the holidays wasn't part of it I would totally wait until my 18-20week ultrasound. 

My friend went to one of those places later in her pregnancy for a 3d/4d ultrasound. They spend a set amount of time looking at the baby and really focus on getting good facial pictures etc. So I can see the allure of them later in pregnancy.  

I'm not totally sold on it before Christmas. They will buy regardless...they don't need Christmas. But you know how family can be!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most of those places also do 3d or 4d ultrasounds which give a clearer picture of your baby's features. I think its just one of those mommy-experiences that people look forward to. Yes, my OB does an anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I'll pay the $65 to find out 4 weeks earlier.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekendrawp:

For me (IF I did it) its about my sisters who are anxious to buy baby stuff for Christmas. If finding out before the holidays wasn't part of it I would totally wait until my 18-20week ultrasound. 

My friend went to one of those places later in her pregnancy for a 3d/4d ultrasound. They spend a set amount of time looking at the baby and really focus on getting good facial pictures etc. So I can see the allure of them later in pregnancy.  

I'm not totally sold on it before Christmas. They will buy regardless...they don't need Christmas. But you know how family can be!  

So you would be doing your elective at 16 weeks? I can kind of understand those ones, but not 18 weeks.

I guess my other thing is that the 3d/4d ultrasounds kinda creep me out. :x So I would ONLY do it for gender prediction. 

• Options
    My doctor won't do my anatomy ultrasound until 21 weeks. So for me the 45.00 for 5 weeks and to know before Christmas is worth it to me. I know it's not for everyone but I am excited to tell my family what we are having on Christmas!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageambiep:
    My doctor won't do my anatomy ultrasound until 21 weeks. So for me the 45.00 for 5 weeks and to know before Christmas is worth it to me. I know it's not for everyone but I am excited to tell my family what we are having on Christmas!

Ah yes, good point. I didn't realize there were wiener doctors out there that would make you wait past the 20 week mark. Jerks. 

• Options
    Mine says they get a better look at some of the things they need to see. I am fine with it. I am also glad we will know the gender so I can focus more on the other things in the anatomy ultrasound. There is just so much to see and it is kind of confusing. It really is so sureal. I don't think it sunk in totally until we watched the video a couple of times.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure if I would pay or not. I was talking about u/s today with my DH's cousin and she told me she went to the technical college here and was a model for the sonography students. She got some really neat pics of her baby! Didn't cost her a dime and they got a model to work on. Sounds neat to me. I will probably think about this as long as my dr. is okay with it. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    My OB doesn't do the a/s until 20 weeks, so it is worth it to me if I can find out 4 weeks early.  However, since 16 weeks hits the week between Christmas and New Years, I don't if the business will be open so I'm trying to decide if it is worth it for 3 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Where I live u/s are only done in hospital's, not Dr's offices, and at elective places.  The hospital u/s will not tell you the gender, they are for anatomy only.  It's weird but it's our provincal policy that our health care will not pay for it, so if you want to know if it is a boy or a girl you have to go to an elective. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"