Military Families
Options

Is it a Yellow Ribbon?????

Hi! We are getting ready for our second deployment and I want to be even more supportive than the first. I like finding different ways to show Dh we have his back. He told me he would like us to tie a ribbon on our tree for him. I just wanted to double check on the color. Several members of our church has also agreed to tie ribbons on their trees as well. T.I.A. for any info you can give.
DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is it a Yellow Ribbon?????

• Options
    Yes yellow. If you buy your ribbon at a craft store they will usually tie it into a big beautiful bow for free (they did for us whenever we did it for deployments).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    As sweet as this idea is, I am wary of advertising that my DH is deployed. It just makes you too easy a target for criminals.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, it's yellow.

That said, keep in mind it isn't unheard of for crooks to target houses where they know or suspect the "big bad manly figure" might be gone.  A yellow ribbon on the tree could tip that off, and it wouldn't take much surveillance after that for them to figure out there's a single mother with a young child inside all alone (assuming you're not moving home with your parents or something). 

Long shot, yes, but still it's a better safe than sorry situation, and something our FRG's have always preached against because of the risk. 

As a compromise, I hang any deployment related stuff up indoors. 

ETA - Not "single mother" inside, but you know what I mean.

• Options

I second the thing about having it at my own house and have never hung the ribbon on my own tree or door. But, my parents and my in laws have done it for each deployment with no problems. I think it probably also depends on where you live. Where we live now I wouldn't worry about it as much, but in the past I never would have even considered it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    As it is a nice gesture for your DH, think outside the box and look at it from the outside as what it looks like for other, i.e. "the bad guys". Like PP have mentioned this could draw attention to you and your home and that your DH is deployed. There are so many other ways that you can support your husband during deployment and "have his back", like you say. I personally would not do this as we live off base and not too many other military families in our neighborhood and do not have any family living nearby.
    TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
  • Options
    imageleslie13510:

Yes, it's yellow.

That said, keep in mind it isn't unheard of for crooks to target houses where they know or suspect the "big bad manly figure" might be gone.  A yellow ribbon on the tree could tip that off, and it wouldn't take much surveillance after that for them to figure out there's a single mother with a young child inside all alone (assuming you're not moving home with your parents or something). 

Long shot, yes, but still it's a better safe than sorry situation, and something our FRG's have always preached against because of the risk. 

As a compromise, I hang any deployment related stuff up indoors. 

ETA - Not "single mother" inside, but you know what I mean.

I totally agree with Leslie.

• Options
    I work in the criminal justice system in interviewing offenders pre-trial and we have seen a large increase in criminals targeting homes with military deployment ribbons and flags showing support for a deployed member. :( Sad but true trend.
  • Options

Couple ideas - hang it inside the house, maybe on a family photo or something else that makes you think of him.

Also, I know it sounds silly, but I would always take a little oragami he made with me on trips and have it in the photos some how (son holding it, me, etc). Maybe you could bring a small yellow ribbon and "include" him if you take any trips?

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Maybe light a candle each week either at church or at home in honor of your hubby. 

I would save the yellow ribbon for the day of Homecoming. I agree with everyone else. You don't want to make yourself a target. This also includes what is on your car. You don't want someone following you because they know hubby is gone.

Always better safe than sorry.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDJB2010:

Maybe light a candle each week either at church or at home in honor of your hubby. 

Always better safe than sorry.  

I got a Battery operated candle that has a sensor on it and I will be having it in my window until he gets home. Not too many people know about what that means so its less noticeable that your Husband is deployed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"