Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Open sore diaper rash?

My DD had this severe rash a few weeks ago. She had all these little open sores between her cheeks. Sometimes, they would even bleed. The pedi gave a burn cream (sylvidine?) and told me to rub that in, then apply vaseline over it to keep it in place. After a day or two, the rash went away but I have no idea what it's from.

I found it again today. This time, it's going the entire way up her crack to her back. I've been applying the cream for almost 3 days now but and it's not getting better. I called the pedi and they just said to keep using the cream. Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't know what to do. 

Re: Open sore diaper rash?

• Does it look like yeast? If it is the silvadine will help some but will not clear it up, she needs nystatin cream to help yeast.  Its a perfect environment warm, moist & dark to grow it.  We use silvadine al the time in my nursing practice, when all the wound protocol creams fail, I get an rx for it. Honestly I would love to have a pint jar of it all the time.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Sounds like yeast to me. DS1 was prescribed Nystatin for his. He is two, though. I am not sure if your LO is too young for it. Good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Loading the player...
  • We do have that Nystatin cream. We alternate between that and the other cream. They said the last time that it didn't look like yeast but I've still be using it. Nothing seems to be helping and my poor LO is in pain. I just don't know how to help her. I tried rapid relief desitin and it didn't help either. I guess I'll just have to put another call in to the pedi tomorrow. :(  They basically said today that if it's not filled sores, just open sores, to just use the cream they gave me but it isn't helping. :(
  • imagefairy_diva:
    Does it look like yeast? If it is the silvadine will help some but will not clear it up, she needs nystatin cream to help yeast.  Its a perfect environment warm, moist & dark to grow it.  We use silvadine al the time in my nursing practice, when all the wound protocol creams fail, I get an rx for it. Honestly I would love to have a pint jar of it all the time.

This 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you tried just sitting her in warm water?  I do this for DS1.  I also go back and forth between Nystatin, Triple Paste and Caldesene (it's a powder in a pink bottle in the diaper cream aisle). I also let him snooze diaper-less (I put a towel under him). I think all of this stuff combined with time is what gets rid of it. Good luck!

P.S. I said it before, but want to say again that my DS is 2, so your LO may be too young for some of the ideas I suggested.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Aww, poor little girl.  My guy has had some sores as well.  I find that actually using less cream works for me.  But if I do use anything, I make sure he is completely dry before I put it on.  I usually pat him with a towel or toilet paper.  Also, I know some might find this gross but if he just pees and he's been red and sore I don't wipe or hardly do.  The wipes are irritating and my pedi said that wiping just pee is really irritating and not necessary.  It sounds gross but pee is sterile and I'd rather him not be so sore.  Plus we also soak him at night in a bath and then do some diaper free time and make sure he is completely dry.  I hope it gets better!
  • My DD had a similar rash. I used cornstarch powder for a few days and it cleared right up.

• What diapers are you using? What you are describin sounds a lot like what my friend's LO had. They were able to determine it was the pamper dry max diapers they were using. They switched diapers and haven't had any problems since. GL!!
  • my baby hasnt had this luckily, but my mom told me that me and my siblings did and she said lotrimin it what worked, its supposed to be for athletes foot,but thats also what my doc told me to use on the corners of my mouth that are cracked and open
  • imagesxyhrdrssr:
    What diapers are you using? What you are describin sounds a lot like what my friend's LO had. They were able to determine it was the pamper dry max diapers they were using. They switched diapers and haven't had any problems since. GL!!

THIS!

DD had a horrible diaper rash that bled, from the day she was born (they used Pampers in the hospital) until the day I switched to Huggies. I tried every cream (RX and OTC) under the sun and nothing cleared it up. Finally one day it clicked in my brain...Hmmm, maybe it's the diapers? I had some Huggies on hand. After 2 diaper changes using the Huggies, her rash was almost completely gone. Her little bum has been nice and clear ever since!!

• We use huggies. I didn't want to use pampers because of the previous bad reports on them so I started with huggies and never changed her. I was beginning to wonder if it was the diapers. Maybe I should try pampers and see if that clears her up. I have a call into the pedi. I'm waiting to hear back from them now. 

I also do let her sit diaperless and make sure she's completely dry before putting cream or a diaper on her. She loves to be naked so I let her play like that for a while to let things air out.

Once I figure it out, I'll be sure to update in case any other mommies run into this problem. 

• My LO had that after a week of being home from the hospital. Her pedi gave us tons of sample of this cream that is basically for bed sores. I don't remember the name of it and I don't know if they sell it in stores either. But her pedi said it was just her skin not used to the poop yet. So I would see if you could find something for bed sores. Because what we had worked really great and it was gone within 2-3days. Hers was also bleeding. Use a wet wash cloth to wipe your LO and then pat it dry or let air dry before applying anything. Also let your LO sit in some warm water to help soothe the area. This is everything our pedi told us to do. I hope this helps you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • I have another suggestion; try Resinol cream.  Our CVS carries it but its behind the pharmacy counter. You can buy over the counter without an RX but for some reason they keep it behind the counter.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• This will sound odd but it works! My LO had a really bad rash it would bleed from how raw he was. I could not wipe him at all. Every poop I had to wash him. Nothing would work, desitin, balmex, butt paste, neosporin. I finally called my pediatrician worried thinking it may be yeast and the nurse told me to try this for a few days and if it didnt work to come in and she warned me it sounds odd but will work I promise:

She told me to pour a capful of maalox on his rash every pooped diaper then apply the diaper rash ointment on top. The reason the rash doesnt heal fast enough is because the acid in the poop keeps irritating the rash. Maalox keeps the acid away from the babies skin which then allows the diaper rash ointment to do its job. With every poop diaper i did the maalox the diaper rash ointment mixed with a bit of neosporin and I saw a major diferrence as early as 12 hours later. It was completely healed 48 hours later.

Repeat C-Section on 10/25/11 @ Noon
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"