3rd Trimester
Options

90% effaced and 1cm dilated

At my doctor appointment on Monday I was told that baby is dropped and head down. She also said I was 90% effaced and 1cm dilated and that he could come 1-2 weeks earlier than my December 13th due date. Anyone else had this happen?

Re: 90% effaced and 1cm dilated

• Options

That's very exciting! Just try to remember that some people walk around dilated eve more than that for weeks at a time...or the opposite. I had zero progress at one appointment, swore I'd go late, and DS was born two days later (a week early) and I was 4 cm by the time we got to the hospital with no pain or signs that anything had changed other than my water breaking.

I'm not trying to squash your hope of going early, it just may make your last few weeks go slowly if you're waiting for LO to come at any moment. For your sake, I hope it's true though! 

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesturley87:
    At my doctor appointment on Monday I was told that baby is dropped and head down. She also said I was 90% effaced and 1cm dilated and that he could come 1-2 weeks earlier than my December 13th due date. Anyone else had this happen?

I was at that point two weeks ago with a due date of Dec 1.  So if that's the case and I have my baby within this next week, great.  That's what I want anyway.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

At my 36 week appt on Monday I was 3cm and 75% effaced

OB said it really isn't any indication of when labor will start, but she guessed that he may be a little early. She said that she based that off of effacement, not dilation.

ETA: pp is right, you can stay at a certain dilation/eff. point for WEEKS. OB told me with my progress I could go tomorrow or weeks from now, there's no way to know for sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I've been dilated 1, 75% effaced and baby dropped for 4 weeks now....due date is on Tues.  I just hope I start making more progress soon!!

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • Options
    I am 1 cm dilated, over 80% effaced for 2 weeks now.
  • Options
    I am dilated to 2.5 and 80% effaced. Dr. said that he wouldn't be surprised if he got called in on Thanksgiving to deliver haha but I am not going to hold my breath.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    at my 37 week appt I was not dilated, but 70% effaced and cervix is "very soft" but she still told me it means almost nothing.  She said I could go into labor at any day or I could go to/past my due date (which is Dec 6th).  She said the only thing it means is that the more progress I make on my own, the better my chances are of a successful induction if we have to do one.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I have been 1 cm dialated and around 30% effaced for 3 almost 4 weeks now :(
  • Options
    It really means nothing as I have been walking around at nearly 4 cm and 80% for over a month and I am now 8 days overdue... 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Effacement and dilation mean nothing until you are in labor.  Your Dr. has NO way of knowing if you are going to go into labor early based on these two factors.  He is just guessing (and getting your hopes up in the process).

Save yourself some stress later on and don't put too much value in these measurements.   It is better to assume your baby will come on the later side and be pleasantly surprised if he come early than stressing every day you go past your Drs unscientific prediction.

GL

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    With my first DS at my 36 week check up I was 90% effaced and 1/2 a cm dilated. The doc told me he so low that he could feel his head. I was 36 weeks and 5 days at that appointment. Two days later when I was 37 weeks and 0 days my water broke, 18 1/2 hours later my little one was here!
  • Options

imageJulybride_07:
    The doc told me he so low that he could feel his head. I was 36 weeks and 5 days at that appointment. Two days later when I was 37 weeks and 0 days my water broke, 18 1/2 hours later my little one was here!

I wish.  They've been telling me they can feel my little girl's head for probably two months now.  Of course I wouldn't have wanted her here two months ago, but now would be nice. :-)

• Options

imageJulybride_07:
    With my first DS at my 36 week check up I was 90% effaced and 1/2 a cm dilated. The doc told me he so low that he could feel his head. I was 36 weeks and 5 days at that appointment. Two days later when I was 37 weeks and 0 days my water broke, 18 1/2 hours later my little one was here!

The doctor told me she could feel his head so I'm hoping that does mean he'll be early. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"