April 2011 Moms
Options

XP: Ear Tubes/Tongue Tied/ And a whole mess...

Ear Tubes/ Tongue Tied/ And a whole mess..

-->

I took LO (4-29-11) to the ENT for her ears and tongue on Friday. They clipped her tongue. All good.   Gave her a hearing test and she's deaf on the right side and about 50% on the left. She's had 5 (FIVE!) ear infections so far, and working on a 6th. They are going to put tubes in in about 2 weeks. Anyone else facing this? I'm concerned that it will not restore all of her hearing. Poor BABY!! And I think I need a hug.... Crying

Advice? Thoughts?

Re: XP: Ear Tubes/Tongue Tied/ And a whole mess...

• Options

I am a speech therapist, and tubes are soo soo important if little ones have recurrent ear infections.    It allows the infected/thick fluid out of the ears and they can hear better-- which in turn helps them learn to talk and communicate. 

I myself had tubes and my sister had them twice- I dont remember it, my mom says it was the best thing ever, because we never had ear infections afterwards. 

Good luck- I am sure your little one will feel better when she doesnt have an ear infections all the time! 

• Options

I have a friend (her son is an April 2010 baby!) whose son went through so many ear infections in his first year I can't even count. He had tubes put in around age 1 and suddenly started talking and actually *hearing* things. I am sorry you are facing this but the tubes make a world of difference and I hope your LO starts feeling better soon!

Also, I have a couple friends who are partially deaf, and they lead perfectly normal lives, so even if LO is partially deaf, her life should not be majorly impacted, especially since you know about it from so early on and can do therapy and things to help her out. GL.

Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tubes rock!  I was really concerned like you the first time we went through the experience w/ DD1.  It's a very common procedure and literally took less than 15 minutes.  The recovery is super easy when they are an infant and any pain can be controlled w/ OTC meds in the first 24 hrs.  After the initial tubes, we flew on planes w/ no worries and went through a winter w/ no more ear infections. DD1 was more alert b/c she could hear more noises and she did not have any speech delay.  I was sad when they fell out 10 months later. Especially since two weeks after they fell out she got another ear infection.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    (((((Squishyhugs)))))
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    Thank you everyone so Much for the stories and hugs! I will keep you posted!
  • Options

I had my THIRD set put in last week (as a 32 year old) it is the best thing in the world! I had a bad infection and lost 58% in my right ear and 62% in the other. I could hear IMMEDIATELY after they were installed. 

Although the procedure is slightly different for adults (no anesthesia) it is a wonderful thing to do for LO. I suffered severely from ear infections as a child. 

Best of luck to you and LO. 

Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"