Trouble TTC
Options

SA

Ok, so the post below got me thinking about my DH's numbers. The reason why I am kind of concerned is when we should the resident at the RE his numbers she scrunched up here face and said well this doesn't look that bad.  The actual dr said nothing about it.  I am a little concerned because they said nothing to him, nothing about trying to improve or how it will affect us.  I know there are different scales but his count was 14 mil motility was 20% and Morph was 5% or 4% I can't remember exactly.  Do any of you think this should be a concern?   If so, it makes me think we really need to find a diff. clinic.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
TTC since April 2010
Diagnosed w/PCOS as a teen
Aug 2011 dx MFI
Oct 2011 referral to RE 1500mg Met
5 Rounds of Clomid
On waiting list for injects/IUI
P/SAIF Welcome

Re: SA

• Options
    Your lines are running together.. You mean Count was 14mill/ml, motility was 20% and Morph was 5%? Or you mean there was 14million motile sperm from the 20% motility of the original sample? If you meant the first one, I'd be concerned. 20% motility is fairly low (normal is 50%) and 14 million/ml is low (20-40million + is most norms). The morph is low but 5% isn't awful. 
    imageimage. image 

|| 4 years TTC, 2 M/Cs image 4 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF || 

|| DIA brought us our beautiful daughter || 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, both count and motility are a concern. I would ask to have it looked into further.

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMsGMChick:
    Your lines are running together.. You mean Count was 14mill/ml, motility was 20% and Morph was 5%? Or you mean there was 14million motile sperm from the 20% motility of the original sample? If you meant the first one, I'd be concerned. 20% motility is fairly low (normal is 50%) and 14 million/ml is low (20-40million + is most norms). The morph is low but 5% isn't awful. 

Sorry, I had meant the first one.  Thanks for the input.

TTC since April 2010
    Aug 2011 dx MFI
    5 Rounds of Clomid
    P/SAIF Welcome
  • Options
    Probably no one is still reading this, but just in case.  At what point do they usually say to go to IVF or IVF with ICSI? I know it probably is case by case.  I just don't want to waste time or money on things that have very little chance. 
    TTC since April 2010
    Aug 2011 dx MFI
    5 Rounds of Clomid
    P/SAIF Welcome
  • Options
    Iuis have a decent chance at working with 10 million post wash and may work with 5 million post wash. Only the progressively motile sperm survive the wash. So you figure if 20% of 12 million are motile, not all of those are progressive either. I would ask to be referred to a uro and have a repeat SA done before you decide on treatment though.

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Options

imagesbrowns08:
    Iuis have a decent chance at working with 10 million post wash and may work with 5 million post wash. Only the progressively motile sperm survive the wash. So you figure if 20% of 12 million are motile, not all of those are progressive either. I would ask to be referred to a uro and have a repeat SA done before you decide on treatment though.

Yes, all of this. With less than 10 million post wash, the success rate is very low. I definitely recommend getting to a uro.

TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR
  • Options

imagesbrowns08:

This exactly..our numbers are very similar, with a slightly higher # at usually 20-24 million..we have seen a Uro as you can see in my siggy

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well, at least none of the numbers are absolutely terrible... they're just all moderately low.  It's definitely a concern... so you definitely need another clinic.

In general, (every place is different), IVF with ICSI is done when the count is less than 15 mil/ml, the motility is less than 35%, or the strict morphology is less than 5%.  If all the numbers are higher than that, then it's regular IVF.

In my eyes, if ICSI is needed, then fertilization rates would not be high for regular IVF (putting the eggs and washed sperm next to each other).  So, TI or IUI is very unlikely to result in anything. 

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"