C-sections
Options

c-section and claustrophobic panic attack

I had an unexpected c-section.  As they were preparing me I completely freaked out that I was paralyzed.  The needle was not a problem, the numbness was not a problem, it was the paralysis.  My brain would NOT STOP trying to move my legs and FREAKING out that I couldn't . I started screaming and panicking "I NEED TO MOVE MY LEGS NOW!!!".  Half of my brain was like "what are you doing!? You're fine"... the other half -- out of control panic.  They eventually calmed me down by distracting me, talking to me, pinching me.  The 2 hour recovery period before I could move again was really tough.

I am terrified to do this again but do want another child and know that it's probably unlikely that I'll be able to do VBAC. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, any advice on how to avoid it the 2nd time around?  When you do a vaginal birth does the epidural make you paralyzed or just numb?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: c-section and claustrophobic panic attack

• Options

With an epidural you can usually move your legs a bit but you don't have full control of them.  For example you'd need help to roll from side to side. 

Why do you think you can't do a VBAC?  That may be your best choice if you have this problem again.  But I think that you were probably just really freaked by the c/s in general.  Having an unexpected c/s is so so stressful and scary, trust me I know!  If you had to have another c/s you would have way more time to be prepared and probably wouldn't have the panicky feeling.  I hated the paralyzed feeling too but really it's kind of an assurance that the meds are working which is definitely a good thing during surgery!

• Options

that's a good point about being assured the meds are working!

My dr. said it is unlikely that i'd have a VBAC unless the stars align (small baby, go into labor naturally before due date, no issues with low fluid)... I think she was trying to be realistic and not get my hopes up? (Although I also get the sense that she's just generally a fan of c-sections).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was very worried about this, I had a planned C Section due to size of the baby so I had time to talk to the anesthesiologist about it beforehand. They couldn't give me anything before the baby was out, but they said that if I started freaking out they would give me something as soon as he was out in my IV. I didn't freak out but they did give me something in the IV anyways which completely relaxed me and I was awake but things are a bit of a blur, I don't remember them stiching me up or anything, just remember being in recovery..it lasted for a few hours in recovery too, and when they wheeled me to NICU to see DS. It was actually probably a good thing that I had it b/c DS had some unexpected health problems and was taken away quickly, and it helped me relax. Don't know what it was, but i'm sure if you talk to your OB they would know.

GL, and a planned C is very different from an emergency one from what I hear. It was very calm and controlled.

M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • Options
    Also, I think for me just knowing that they could put something in the IV that would work almost instantly if I needed it calmed me down.
    M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • Options
    I had my DS 3 and half years ago and I'm pregnant again and am having a repeat c-section, I freaked out when I had my DS I tried to sit up and was having a panic attack because I couldn't move from the neck down....so they gave me somthing to knock me out...and they woke me up when he came out...but I couldn't stay awake it was awful!! I hope I'm able to stay calm this time but I'm not looking forward to another c-section!! I really don't like not having control over my body it freaks me out!  So I know exactly how you felt!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

I have had 2 planned csections. Both times I had a hard time with that feeling. It made me dry heave and hyper-venilate. Maybe ask if you can have something to help calm your nerves? 

I will work through it without because I dont want post op recovery room time to be any longer than it has to be but if you are having that hard of a time thinking about it then maybe you would want something or to be knocked out completely?  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had the same thing happen to me love, I'm so sorry :( I know it was pretty terrible for me and I looked for a way to make this one less scary for me. My lactation consultant suggested this video to me - good luck mama! hope that helps <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. This is my 3rd c-section and I have so much anxiety about this every night that is all I think about. I wish I could tell you it is easier each time. I know distractions and conversations about other topics help. It is very rough to get through. I hope it doesn't stop you from having another.  I am nervous as heck! I hate when people say "this is your 3rd, it should be a walk in the park" I fell like telling them off. You are right, your brain tells you to get out of there. Good luck! Try to think about that precious baby! 
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. This is my 3rd c-section and I have so much anxiety about this every night that is all I think about. I wish I could tell you it is easier each time. I know distractions and conversations about other topics help. It is very rough to get through. I hope it doesn't stop you from having another.  I am nervous as heck! I hate when people say "this is your 3rd, it should be a walk in the park" I feel like telling them off. You are right, your brain tells you to get out of there. Good luck! Try to think about that precious baby! 
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"