Military Families

Can I just vent for a minute?

I'm a lurker and need a minute, hope you don't mind.

In July 2010 DH went to AT, but came home through the Red Cross because his mom had a stroke.  He was paid like he stayed the whole time which I knew wasn't right, but his unit told him to keep the money since he was making up drill in October.  October drill got cancelled by the unit because a deployment was "happening soon," and they'd have AT then.  I KNEW it wasn't right that we kept the money but every person he talked to in his chain of command (and whomever they sent him to in finance/hr/etc) told him he wouldn't have to pay it back. He never had a single $1 come out of any drill weekend between then and now.

Fast forward to when this deployment has actually started this fall.  His November paychecks have been docked a total of $2100 for "debt," which is the money from AT they now are saying he has to pay back.  Thankfully, we aren't hurting financially because of this since we have some money saved.  Its just frustrating that he went to so many people that told him not to worry and now we have to.  I don't mind paying it back, it was never ours to have, but couldn't it have been done slowly over a few months? Ugg, the military makes me pull my hair out sometimes!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can I just vent for a minute?

• Ugh. That does suck. It would have been nicer had they let you give it back in the first place or through repayment plans. Good thing you have savings!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • They took the amount in a lump sum? OUCH! Usually(and by that I mean in my experience) if the amount is high like that they will take little by little out until the full amount owed is paid.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Ouch is right!  Sometimes if you go in person to finance(not the people he talked to before) they'll work out a payment plan.  This is why the military/government finance statement is,"Slow to pay, quick to take." If they owe you money then you'll wait,but you owe them by golly you'll pay by the next pay period.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsS2203:
    Ouch is right!  Sometimes if you go in person to finance(not the people he talked to before) they'll work out a payment plan.  This is why the military/government finance statement is,"Slow to pay, quick to take." If they owe you money then you'll wait,but you owe them by golly you'll pay by the next pay period.

My experience with Finance is exactly that.  After they pulled something like that on me and my DH, we now just put any "extra" money in savings because they will come back for it and they will try and take it all at once.  I've never had them be "gentle" and take back small amounts.  They usually take it all and give you a no pay due.  They are awesome like that.  At least they won't touch any allotments he may have set up directly through MyPay. We have our rent allotted that way so we won't be left homeless because the Army messed with our pay.  

Sorry you are experiencing this. They absolutely take their sweet time paying you back, hardly ever the whole amount, but the second they are owed, they move quickly!!  

• Thanks.  I'm just glad we are smart about money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"