Phoenix Babies
Options

Gateway vs. Banner Desert medical center

Hi! we will not deliver until the end of the year but was curious if anyone has had any experiences delivering at either Banner Gateway or Banner Desert Medical Center....thanks!!
gonnabamommy

Re: Gateway vs. Banner Desert medical center

• Options
    kiki4kiki4 member

I delivered at Banner Desert, and really liked the hospital and the staff.  I ended up with a secondary infection after I went home, and we went to Gateway, as it was closer to our home.  My doctor specifically stated that my son was to come with me, as I was breast feeding, and they gave me such a hard time about it.  The whole experience was terrible, and while Gateway is much newer, I will not go back to that hospital.

BFP 1/19/12 No heartbeat at 7w4d 3rd dose Cytotec 3/1/12
    *PGAL/PAL Welcome*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    I have delivered at both of them. I really loved Desert, it was like a home away from home after delivering 3 babies there. It is older, but the staff is good. I had my last one at Gateway and will have #5 there also. It was beautiful and they have room service. I sort of missed Desert, but not enough to go back. L&D and recovery were great
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Banner Desert is considered the "high risk" hospital since it has the best NICU in the East Valley. However, in my experience, they tend to treat everyone like they are high risk since that is what they are used to. If you are healthy and low risk and want a birth with less intervention, I would go to Gateway.
  • Options

I had my 3 at Desert.  It was fine and my only complaint is the small recovery rooms.  Literally, the door hit my bed everytime it was opened with my 2nd baby!

I was looking at different options for this delivery and toured Gateway.  Though it was new and had lots of boutique features (even though a relaxing walk through the OB garden in mid-August was less than appealing!) I didn't think it was very warm or comforting...it reminded me of delivering a baby at IKEA.

We are going back to Desert.  I guess I'm a creature of habit.

• Options
    I delivered at Desert in July and really happy with my experience.  With an induction and recover time, H and I were there for 5 days.  The recovery room was small, but the staff was great.  They also have room service and the cafeteria isn't bad.
  • Options

A good friend of mine had her little girl at Banner Desert roughly three months ago.  Her LO ended up with MRSA which she passed to her mother via breastfeeding.  My friend ended up having to have a MRSA-infected abscess removed from her breast.  It was never proven but her doctor believes her LO picked up the infection at the hospital.  Just a heads-up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I will say that Gateway is a beautiful hospital and newer.  However, they do not have a high risk doctor or a NICU.  Keep in mind that even with the most normal uneventful pregnancies, things may happen unexpectedly and I sure wouldn't want to delivery someplace that would not have the resources to take care of emergencies with me or my child. I would choose Banner Desert over Gateway anyday. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"