C-sections
Options

Question for those who have had/recovered from a C-section

Hello, I am new and have been lurking for a few days. I am 11 weeks pregnant and have been conslting with my surgeon (for a pre-pregnancy issue) and my OB in regards to scheduling a c-section. I have an issue (not pregnancy related) that I need surgery to correct, but they want to wait until after the baby is born and in order to not exacerbate it, they may decide I should have a c-section.

My EDD is May 26th (not sure when I would have c-section, but let's just say May 26th)... I have a family reunion August 10-12 and I am wondering, based on your own recovery experiences, if you think I would be recovered well enough to travel for 6 hours in the car? I know everyone is different, but I'm just trying to get a general consensus. I am very nervous about having a c-section and about the recovery, but I am also very nervous for what might happen to me/my other issue if I have a vaginal birth. I am waiting to hear back from my surgeon this week to see what he/my OB are recommending.

Thank you so much!

--Danielle :-)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for those who have had/recovered from a C-section

• Options
    I think by that point you will probably feel okay.  We were on a plane to Bermuda in February and had DD in November.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

I would have traveled at 2.5 months PP, even after my 2nd section which was a god awful recovery. I think you will be fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am 7 weeks out and wouldn't have a problem with that car ride.  I could have done it at 4 weeks probably.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would think absolutely by that point.  By 3 months after I was back to pretty much every normal activity that I did before ds.
  • Options
    And, duh, I went on a 12 hour car ride at 6 weeks pp to visit family back home.  I didn't have any discomfort from the ride at all.
  • Options
    You should feel okay at that point. It's not that bad of a recovery. It's the getting up and down that is the most painful. Having a pillow to hold over your stomach helps. Good luck!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you, everyone!

--Danielle :-)
  • Options
    I would have traveled within a month after.
  • Options
    I had a terrible recovery but was completely fine by August (my timeline is nearly identical to yours -- I was due May 28th but my baby was born June 10).  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As long as you have a normal recovery with no real problems, I think you'll be fine! I had a csection with my first baby and the first week was pretty painful, getting up and down etc. I would have been fine in a car two weeks pp I think. Like others have said, you'll mainly have pain when you are moving, so you should be good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You should be feeling back to normal by then.
  • Options
    I say go for it. You'll be okay by then.
  • Options

We went to disney world when ds2 was 8wks old and I was fine. I even carried him most of the time in the baby k'tan around disney world with no problems. I would think you'd be fine that far out.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think you will be okay. We drove to florida at 3 1/2 months pp and I was fine
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

• Options
    Definitely! The first week is the worst as far as pain goes. By the second week your pain will be pretty much gone, but you'll have a lot of soreness and tightness. By a month you pretty much cant tell you had a c section unless you're overworking yourself.
  • Options
    Every recovery is different. I had a really hard recovery and didn't start to really heal and venture out of my own until 8 weeks PP. I think by 2.5 months i would've been "ok" to travel, but would definitely have needed breaks for it. Having said that, I know many women who felt almost normal by 6 weeks PP and were back to their regular routine at 8 weeks.

Good luck!

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Most definitely. I think you'll be 100% by then!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1-2 weeks PP, you feel so much better. 2 months you'll pretty much like normal. The trip shouldn't be any issue for you.
  • Options
    That's about 10 weeks after your hypothetical c/s so yes you would be well recovered and able to travel.  Most doctors release patients to their normal activities after 6 weeks.  Mine did. 
  • Options

We drove 4 hours 4 wks post-c/s and it was just fine.  I just made sure that I didn't get up too fast (from a sitting position) as I was a bit tender still, but it was nothing major. My recovery after DD2 (RCS) was a lot quicker. 

GL!

• Options
    We traveled from California to Oklahoma by car when DD was two months old and I was fine. Taking care of DD was our main challenge during our time on the road.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"