Illinois Babies

Great Expectations class at Prentice

Did anyone take this class?  Did you find it useful?  Was it all about different pain management techniques, or did it give you info regarding infant care, etc?  Thanks for any feedback - we're just worried it may be somewhat useless given my plan to use as many epidurals/pain meds as they'll give me.  ;)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Great Expectations class at Prentice

• We just took it last week, and my plan is the same as yours : Get her out safe & and pain free! It was informatational. And they show you a natural birth video, and another one where the woman gets an epidural. After watching both I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting drugs. It was worth it if this is your first. My husband learned a lot too.

• I agree that it's very useful for both parents to attend (it makes Dad realize just how much we go through!) You get a great booklet that I found useful after my little guy was born. I had a scheduled c-section and had specific questions/concerns, and the instructor was very accommodating and reassuring. We took the one-day class which went by pretty fast.

If you're looking for info on infant care, they do have a separate class led by a pediatrician. I thought it was good -- and you get a free copy of the book Baby 411 (which was my baby bible for the first few weeks!) 

Good luck -- hope all goes well for you!

• Loading the player...
  • I delivered both of our LOs at Prentice and had an amazing experience both times.We took the Great Expectations class and found it helpful because it gave us a good idea of what hospital policy and procedures are like...epidurals, triage, visitors, moving from L&D to postpartum, etc. We wanted deliveries with minimal interventions, medications, etc and the class was very respectful of that as well as those in the class that wanted epidurals so you they will spend sometime discussing all of the options available.  It is SO IMPORTANT to discuss your preferences with your OB/MW before the birth and with the L&D nurses once you arrive...as long as you have your OB/MW permission you get what you want at Prentice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, all!  My SIL was telling me that it was all about Lamaze etc, which she found somewhat useless.  I was hoping that the hospital procedures would be covered, and I was also hoping that they would show a few videos of what to expect.  It is our first, so I think we need all the education we can get.  :)  I'll keep the class we're scheduled for, and probably add an infant care and cpr class as time permits.  Thanks much for the advice!
  • Hi, my husband and I took the class. To be honest, it was informative, but not really useful. The tour of the hospital was nice, but also unnecessary as you will be taken to all the rooms you need to be in during labor. I had an epidural, so I didn't use any of the pain management techniques. I did use the breathing technique before my epidural, but you can learn that from a youtube video. My best advice is to mention you want pain meds the second you get into Triad. That way they will arrange to have it administered asap. Make sure to register with the hospital before labor. You do not want to file out med forms when you're in pain. As for the class again, it's informative and an experience for both of you and husband. My husband personally felt it was a waste of time and money. He felt that we could of spent that money for other baby related stuff. Either way, best of luck you and your family.  Smooth delivery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"