Multiples
Options

NT Scan...to do or not to do? Looking for opinions.

I'm just curious as to how many of you opted to do an NT scan and how many didn't and (if you don't mind sharing) why you decided for or against it.  I know that I would never be able to go through with an amnio or CVS, so if the results of the NT scan come back bad it won't do anything but ruin the rest of my pregnancy, but then on the other hand I feel like if there may be something wrong I'd like to be somewhat prepared.

I have the scan scheduled for next week, but I'm so torn on what to do...

Re: NT Scan...to do or not to do? Looking for opinions.

• Options
    i had one done.. basically the only reason i did it was to find out the sex of the baby. the dr i go to is the only one that does the nuchal scans and so far he has been 98% correct on the sex.  good luck on your decision.
  • Options
    Even though they are less conclusive with twins, we opted to do all the non-invasive testing (multiple rounds of b/w and NT scan) and were glad we did. I'm for knowing what I can about what's going on in there, and while I had no plans to do the invasive testing, if we had gotten different results, we may have considered it. The NT scan gives you a great look at the babies, if nothing else. GL deciding.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageneckrcx2:
    i had one done.. basically the only reason i did it was to find out the sex of the baby. the dr i go to is the only one that does the nuchal scans and so far he has been 98% correct on the sex.  good luck on your decision.

I did it because we wanted to be 100% fully prepared.  Termination was never an option for us, but if something was or could be wrong, we wanted to know and be able to educate ourselves.  You might change your mind about the cvs if something did show up, though the odds are in favor of not having to do it.

PP mentioned finding out the sex... I know our NT scan was done at 11 weeks, and they wouldn't guess as to the gender.  At 14 weeks, they guessed (and she has a very high "guess" rate), and they guessed WRONG.  We thought we were having 2 boys for about 6 weeks, and it's actually 2 girls.  So my advice to you is to not put much stake in that guess if they will do it for you. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 7/11/09 TTC #1 Since 05/10
    BFP #1 09/20/10 Natural m/c 10/05/10
    BFP! #2 04/21/11... Beta 16 DPO: 437, 18 DPO:1446 Ultrasound 6w6d TWINS!
    Annabel & Sophia Born 11/28/11 at 34w6d
    BFP #3 10/4/16... Beta 13 DPO: 145, 15 DPO: 367 12/1/16 It's a GIRL!

• Options

NT scans are, to me, super easy and super harmless.  If you get a higher-risk, I personally would definitely consider the amnio/CVS because you would get a diagnosis and be able to actually prepare.  It's hard to prep for a "maybe," you know?  but even if you don't do those, the NT is just such an easy way to get a vague idea to help.  

Also, the NT measurements can tell the docs more than just the risks of Downs and the other trisomies -- they can also tell your doc if there are other things to watch for (TTTS in identical twins, etc.).  We opted not to do the bloodwork part b/c we were already getting an amnio for something else -- you could definitely opt out of the bloodwork and just get the measurements.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    we did it really just for the opportunity to see the babies Big Smile
  • Options

imagekthappy76:
    Even though they are less conclusive with twins, we opted to do all the non-invasive testing (multiple rounds of b/w and NT scan) and were glad we did. I'm for knowing what I can about what's going on in there, and while I had no plans to do the invasive testing, if we had gotten different results, we may have considered it. The NT scan gives you a great look at the babies, if nothing else. GL deciding.

Us too!  I was coming off RE care where I was getting an U/S every week.. my Ob did one at the initial visit at 9 weeks and then I had to wait until the NT scan.  I was dying!

I'm always of the mindset that I rather know if something is wrong.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We didn't have them done for our boys and didn't plan to with the girls. However, when we went for our consultation with the perinatologist, he ordered one for that same day because he said that for identicals, there's some correlation between the NT results and the eventual risk of them developing TTTS. If your twins are ID, that's another reason you might want to do it.
    ~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Options

imageMamaCrystal:
    We didn't have them done for our boys and didn't plan to with the girls. However, when we went for our consultation with the perinatologist, he ordered one for that same day because he said that for identicals, there's some correlation between the NT results and the eventual risk of them developing TTTS. If your twins are ID, that's another reason you might want to do it.

Yeah we didn't know until AFTER the scan, and the doc was really pleased.

I do wonder what the biological connection is, though!  She said the thinner the NT measurements, the less likely they are to get TTTS -- but that they didn't really know why. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We didn't because we read that false positives are a lot more common than finding actual problems, and I didn't need reason to worry. That said, at that point we still thought we were pregnant with a singleton, so we could have had a few extra months to prepare for twins if we had opted for more testing early on!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We did just the scan can't do b/w with 3. Wanted idea of sexes they would not guess :(. But I had older half brother with downs. So rather know but would not terminate anyways. Just wanted to be prepared. We would have maybe done CBS or amnio not sure never had to make choice. 
  • Options
    I chose not to do one. My doctor gave me the speech that if we were unsure at all what we would do if something abnormal came back then to do it...but if we were Positive we wouldn't do anything then dont do it.  I went through IVF and arleady get stressed out easily and the last thing i wanted was to be stressed or worried if something came back wrong....ESPECIALLY cause I would not do anything to get rid of the pregnancy.  My mom also had one done w/ my little sister and they told her my sister was going to be downs and my sister was born 100% fine, so with all the false positives it's not worth worrying myself. So overall I was happy with my decision :) IT's all personal choice though of course!
  • Options
    We did the scan, but did not do the bloodwork that accompanies it because the scan showed no reason for it, and apparently the bloodwork isn't always reliable with multiples.  We did it for a couple of reasons.  First, insurance covered it.  Second, in some cases, termination would havee been an option for us.  (We discussed that before every getting pregnant).  In terms of getting a gender guess, we did get one, but we are about 13 weeks 2 days or so at the time of the scan.  He ended up being right.  Our scan went well, but 3 weeks later, the first of a series of potential issues showed up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"