June 2012 Moms

Is Sleepytime Tea safe?

I've tried to do some research on the subject, but haven't come back with any solid medical opinions, so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has any knowledge on the topic. Does anyone happen to know if Sleepytime Tea from Celestial Seasonings is safe to drink right now? I read on the website that it was caffeine free, but didn't know if anyone has gotten the red light on it. 

Re: Is Sleepytime Tea safe?

• If it's an herbal tea, it's something you're supposed to avoid as a rule, unless you've talked with your dr. If you have concerns about anything, my first reaction would be to call your OB. I wouldn't risk it until then, but that's just me!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I believe Sleepy Time is predominantly camomile. I asked my doctor about drinking camomile and she said it was fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • https://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-drink-herbal-tea-during-pregnancy_1246852.bc

This may bring you some piece of mind.

I still drink my teas. Peppermint tea helps with an upset stomach and camomille is calming. I do drink sleepy time tea before bed when I'm wound up. Moderation.

ETA: I also have a "pregnancy blend" tea that was given as a gift. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageamberlynnr7:
    If it's an herbal tea, it's something you're supposed to avoid as a rule, unless you've talked with your dr. If you have concerns about anything, my first reaction would be to call your OB. I wouldn't risk it until then, but that's just me!

What part of herbal tea are we supposed to avoid?  My doc didn't say anythign about this... and I drink a lot of (decaffinated) tea.

• According to some websites chamomile is still up in the air.  My doctor strongly suggested that I avoid it as they believe that it has been liked to mc's during the first trimester.  They also said to avoid rose hip, hibiscus, lemongrass, and raspberry leaf during the first trimester as it can also lead to mc's during the first trimester.  Apparently these herbs can either cause your cervix to soften or your uterus to contract.  Most peppermint teas and most caffeine free herbal teas use rose hip and hibiscus as the primary base.  I have found that the organic section has a few peppermint teas that are solely peppermint leaf.

Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • According to my doctor, she said that it is completely safe.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I discussed this very topic with my OB. She looked up the different ingredients. She thinks it's safe in moderation although most herbs haven't been tested during pregnancy. She said if I need to relax and need a good night sleep once a week, take it but not more than that just be extra careful.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • In addition to the chamomile, Sleepytime contains lemongrass, which some say should be avoided during pregnancy.  

Many of the herbs used for teas, when taken in large or medicinal amounts, can potentially stimulate the uterus and induce miscarriage. These include anise, catnip, chamomile, comfrey, ephedra (called ma huang in traditional Chinese medicine), European mistletoe, hibiscus, horehound, Labrador, lemongrass, licorice root, mugwort, pennyroyal, raspberry leaf, rosemary, sage, sassafras, stinging nettle leaf, vetiver, and yarrow. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"