Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

d&c - totally under or conscious sedation?

Surgery scheduled for Monday and I have up until then to decide, but was given the option of concsious sedation or going completely under. What did you do and what was your experience like? I had conscious sedation when I had my wisdom teeth removed and it was a pretty easy recovery and I don't remember a thing. On the other hand, the only other time I've been put completely under was when I had my tonsils removed and that was harder coming out of (had chills and vomiting when I was waking up). Based on these experiences I think I'm leaning more toward conscious sedation. My only reservation is whether I would be aware of anything, which I would not want. I wasnt with my wisdom teeth but am not sure if that's something I want to risk with something so emotionally painful. On the other hand, general anesthesia is more risky and that makes me a bit nervous too. Thoughts, experiences?
BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.

Re: d&c - totally under or conscious sedation?

• I was under general anesthesia.  No way would I have wanted to just be sedated.

The only issue I had was that it irritated my throat and I had a somewhat sore throat for a few days.  It wasn't a big deal, I just felt a little hoarse and scratchy. Coming out of it wasn't bad, I was just babbling about stupid stuff and coughing a little bit.  My discharge sheet said they gave me both Zofran and Reglan in my IV during surgery as a precaution against nausea from the anesthesia--if that was an issue for you in the past, I'd ask if you can get some anti-nausea meds.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Normally I would recommend being completely under. I've been put completely under for my D&Cs and like you just sedated for things like wisdom teeth. There were bits and pieces that I remember from my wisdom teeth though, which would be why I'd never go that route with a D&C. But I also never had trouble with general anesthesia. I'm not sure I am of much help. Does your doctor know of the chills and vomiting you had with your tonsils, does he think he can do anything differently to prevent that?

good luck!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • I was put totally under. if you have issues with being sick, just tell them and they shuld be able to give you something. i was sick after my wisdom teeth, but never for any other surgeries i have had. i think it may have been from the amount of blood i swallowed. i have heard some not so pretty stories about the sedation D&C's & i told my dr if i did it, i did not want to be awake. i donw want to hear or feel anything... its hard enough going through this i think.

either way, make the eicision that is right for you. T&P's! 

9/11/2011 BFP#1 , 9w3d MMC, 11/9/2011 D&C

2/7/2012 BFP #2, CP 2/11/2012

8/19/2013 BFP #3 1st Beta 12DPO 166 PG 15.5 2nd Beta I was told was great (need #'s still) Stick Baby Stick!!!

9/12 u/s measuring 7w1d HB 137!!! Grow Baby Grow!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I had conscious sedation and it was just a very emotional and physically uncomfortable experience.  If you have the option, and completely just my opinion, go completely under.  I had the choice of going with conscious sedation Wednesday or wait until after Thanksgiving for an appointment so I could be under full anesthesia and waiting that long was out of the question for me so I took the Wednesday appointment.
    BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am also having one tomorrow and I have decided to go completely under, I want to have no memory at all.
  • I was completely under and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I def didn't want to be awake knowing what was happening to me. I woke up with no memory of what had happened and that was perfectly fine with me...When I woke up I was EXTREMELY nauseous but they gave me a shot and it took it away within seconds...see if they have something for nausea, which I'm sure they do, and then it shouldn't be an issue. Good Luck.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• I was completely under as well.  I was terrified as it was my first time under a general, but it went very well for me (praise God).  No nausea or other issues at all.  If you had issues with the last general, I would (as PPs said) ask for meds to prevent those problems this time.  They have meds for everything now, which is pretty crazy.  Anyway, I have read some things on here about conscious sedation and emotionally hard experiences, and I think I would just rather be out, but that's only my opinion.  What is right for you is right for you!  Thoughts and prayers as you decide.

• I had general anesthesia....I wouldn't have wanted moderate sedation. I think you have to make the best decision for you, based upon your own experiences, but I wanted to be completely asleep with no chance of remembering anything of the d&c.

For those who don't know the difference, "conscious" or moderate sedation typically consists of you getting two medications through an IV. One is typically a pain medication (when I used to do these sedations it was typically Fentanyl) with a benzodiazepine (such as Versed). This medication doesn't make you fall asleep (though you might get drowsy), but it makes you not care, and hopefully not remember, what is going on. I guess with the D&C,  I was so traumatized by the m/c in general that I wanted absolutely no chance that I would be aware of what was going on.

GL OP, and I am so sorry for your loss.

EDIT and PS: if you have had problems with nausea, tell the anesthesiologist this and they will give you an anti-emetic while you are sedated so you don't get sick. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know this is so hard, I just had one yesterday. I, too, was completely out and greatful for it. It's painful enough losing a baby, you don't want any memories of it. I came out perfectly fine and was able to leave the hospital within 2 hours. I woke up this morning feeling perfectly fine (physically). I'm still a little emotional, but I think that's to be expected. Good luck with whatever choice you make. I'm holding on to the fact that the holidays are coming and it's such a happy time, so hopefully we'll begin to feel better :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had moderate sedation and had a good (as good as can be given the circumstances!) experience. They gave me enough Fentanyl/Versed that I didn't remember a thing, plus I wasn't nauseous afterwards (which I was the last time I had general). I personally would not want to have general b/c of the risks involved. I too had the concerns about not being "out" enough, but it worked out well for me. GL with your decision! Sorry for your loss! :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"