South Florida Babies

sleep help

Nico has never really been a good sleeper. He didn?t sttn until he was 9 months old, and even when he did, I could hear him through the monitor wake up several times at night, sit up etc and then lay down and fall asleep. He?s also a very light sleeper and even with a sound machine, he wakes up with any noise in the house. About a month ago, we transitioned him to a toddler bed. The change went pretty smoothly at first.  We kept the same routine as with his crib. We would sit on the chair together, read a story, sing a couple of songs, say good night and leave him in his bead wide awake.  In the middle of the night, II could see on the monitor that he would wake up a couple of times and walk towards the door but would change his mind and run back towards the bed and lay down on his own.  About 2 weeks ago, we went to California for my sis in laws wedding and Nico stayed at my mom?s for 5 nights.  Since we have gotten back, it has been miserable! It takes him about an hour to fall asleep every night and only if one of us is in the room with him. He also wakes up in the middle of the night and comes out to our room. One of us will usher him back to his bed and then the crying starts- he doesn?t want us to leave him alone. Honestly, I have no problem hanging with him for 5 or 10 minutes, but it?s been taking him 2 or 3 hours to fall back asleep during these night wakings. We are exhausted. We have tried locking him the room but he will cry and scream hysterically at the door. I let him do that for an hour but didn?t feel comfortable letting him any longer, so I gave in and laid down with him. Anyways, so sorry for the long story. We really need some help! Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Also, I?m now stressing what will happen when the baby is born. I plan on keeping her in our room for at least 2 months, but with Nico being such a light sleeper, I already know he?s going to get up every time she cries.  Any tips on this issue?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: sleep help

• Sleep issues can be so frustrating! Kids are creatures of habit and routine, so it seems that Nico's routine was altered a bit by spending time at grandma's. ;) I would just stick to the routine you had before the trip. Reassure him, perhaps use a rewards system to get him to fall asleep on his own. When Big E was learning to fall asleep on his own in his new bed, I used a step-wise approach - laid next to him for a few days, then I sat in the sofa next to the bed, then I would stand by the door, then outside the door...you get the picture. ;) I always reassured him and would tell him "I am sitting right outside your room, don't worry mommy is here!" This would work pretty well for some reason. 

Big E is a pretty light sleeper too and I thought that for sure he would wake up whenever the baby would awaken.  In the first few months we really didn't have too much of an issue. If the baby would cry, I would pick him up right away so there wasn't much noise to wake Big E up. As the baby got older, we would let him cry a little more so that he would learn to put himself to sleep. Most of the time there was no issue with Big E waking up but on a few occasions he did  and we would just guide him back to his room, reassure him, and he would fall right back to sleep. 

Hope Nico finds his routine and goes to sleep on his own soon. That way mommy can get some sleep before baby comes along! ;)  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"