School-Aged Children

staying home alone.

how old were they/will they be when you felt/will feel comfortable with them staying home alone.  Even for just a short tri to the store.

Re: staying home alone.

• 12 or 13?  DD is nearly 11 now and while she is very responsible I'm not ready yet. 

• I think it depends on the child a lot. My SS is 14, and there is no way I would have left him home alone at 11. My niece is 11 and was home alone for a couple hours every day after school last year. She is very responsible and also had a neighbor who was always home that she could call with any problems. I guess it also depends on if you are talking about a trip to the store thats 15 minutes, or leaving them for a couple of hours.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter is 9, almost 10. She is not ready yet and I don't imagine that she will be for a couple of years. We have people in our neighborhood who allow their kids (ages 9-12) to come home from school on the bus and be home alone for 10-20 minutes. We have bad, unpredictable traffic. I guess their schedule is very tight. The kids seem to get home on their own okay. I don't know the details.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • imagejustbeachy109:
    Personally, I think 11 is too young and I really wish 6th grade was still in elementary school and not in middle school. There really aren't any other options for us other than me working from 7-4 instead of 8-5 so she is only home alone for a little bit.

Our sixth grade is in elementary school! And our 9th is in middle school. Yay. 

• DD was about 10 1/2 when we first allowed this for an hour or so at a time.  Over the past school year she worked her way up to staying home alone for a couple of hours at a time.  Our neighbor, who does my before/after care is always home when she's here by herself at this point.  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My oldest is eight, so I can only speak from this POV. I think there is a difference between leaving your kid alone in a house, and having them get home alone. I would leave a 10/11 year old home alone while I ran a quick errand. I wouldn't however let them walk home from school or the bus stop alone.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"