Washington Babies
Options

Failed my glucose test

If you failed your glucose test, please help! I failed by quite a bit too so it's not like I just barely failed. I have to do the 3 hour test this week but mostly I'm just worried that I did something to cause this.  I've been trying not to gorge myself on too much, I've gained less than 10 lbs at 29 weeks,

What if I fail the 3 hour test?  If you failed the 3 hr test, how did you control it and how big was your child?  The whole thing is so overwhelming to me. 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12

Re: Failed my glucose test

• Options
    The one hour test is designed as a screening test, so lots of people will fail that and still pass the 3 hour just fine. I don't have personal experience with the test, but if you fail the 3 hour, the first step is usually just diet. You will get (or should get!) lots of education about what to do. But I wouldn't worry about that until the 3 hour is done, you will likely do just fine!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy it wasn't that bad, just A LOT more appointments and monitoring.  Let me say that you did nothing to cause this, I know I didn't.  I never ate healthier than when I was pregnant, and like you gained very little weight.  I still had GD. 

The three hour test you stay at the lab and they do 4 different draws.  If you go to the PACLAB in Bellevue (I see that is where you are from) they have a special room for you to sit in with a couch.  I slept between draws.  Be sure to bring stuff to do though because it is boring.

For me, when I failed, I went to a nutritionist and then began going to Eastside MFM and saw a nurse there that helped monitor my blood sugar levels.  You will also have non-stress tests a lot toward the end and more ultrasounds all to make sure the baby is doing well.  At the end the non stress tests actually were kind of cool because they were telling me when I was having contractions.  Took a little of the guess work out of wondering if something was just a weird pregnancy pain or an actual contraction.  

My daughter came out great!  Though I did get induced at 40 weeks on the nose due to GD (they don't like you to go too far passed your due date) my daughter is healthy and happy.   She weighed 7lbs 8oz.

Our first little one is getting big!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Number two

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I failed the one-hour both times. The three hour isn't super fun, but it wasn't as bad the second time as I thought. Four blood draws, one bottle of glucose. They gave me a room to lay down in at the lab. With Collin, I passed it and he was 7 lbs. 13 oz. I have heard that if you fail the three, if you manage what you eat (sugars, carbs, etc.) and keep your blood sugar in check, you can easily have a not-large baby (7-8 lb. range).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I failed the one hour but passed the three hour with Max. I won't lie, the three hour sucked, but hopefully you will pass it and be done with it! I would eat lots of protein and not much sugar the day before you take it. If you do end up with a GD diagnosis, I have a friend who recently had that, and it was really well controlled with diet. I don't remember his exact weight, but I know her son was 7 pounds and change. She is very petite and very fit, it really can happen to anyone!

Good luck, I hope you pass the three hour!

Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options

I failed the 1hr and passed the 3hr. The 3hr sucked a lot -- I spent the first hour feeling vertiginous, the second hour bored out of my skull, and the third hour increasingly lightheaded and disoriented -- but I tend to be pretty sensitive to blood sugar fluctuations.

But even if you DO fail, make sure to get your actual numerical results, so you can figure out what your ACTUAL risks are. There was a fantastic study done in 2008 that actually correlates blood glucose numbers with pregnancy outcomes; you are likely to find it pretty reassuring. :) Link is here:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0707943#t=article

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I failed it, and so did about 1/3 of my friends when they were pregnant.  I was originally told not to eat anything the morning of the 1-hour, and later my midwife said I should have eaten something high-protein, like eggs or peanut butter, but avoid any white starch.  I did pass the 3-hour test.  If you fail, they'll give you a nice set of guidelines about eating healthy, and you should stick to them as well as you can.  In the meantime, don't stress about it - it's not that big of a deal if you are careful with your food.  Hugs to you, mama!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"