Pregnant after IF
Options

IUI question from ttc boards

Hi girls, congrats to all of you, i hope to join you one day in the near future, however grimm it looks now.

I have been ttc for #2 for over a year and have had 2 failed clomid cycles with trigger, i am seeing a new RE in Dec and am going to try IUI, i wasn't doing it before because of the cost and really i thought the clomid alone was going to do the trick. A co-worker revealed to me that she got pregnant all 3 times on her 1st IUI, so i am hopeful.

Just wondering how many of you went the IUI route and how many rounds of it. I am 39 and don't want to waste my time if i should really be thinking of IVF and save my money from doing IUI's i was told it could be about $2500 a cycle and IVF is $11,000

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: IUI question from ttc boards

• Options
    I got pregnant on my 3rd IUI but it was the first IUI with injectables.  With clomid I only ever had 1 mature follicle even with 200mg of clomid.  I think having several mature follicles is what made IUI #3 successful (we have MFI though).

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I got pregnant with IUI with injects on the first round. I have DOR, so since age was a factor, my RE said IUI would possibly work, if not, then IVF would be our best bet. Good luck with a new RE!
    Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did 3 IUI's and each was about $400 (not including meds which are covered for us).  We gave up on them due to cost and ended up getting pregnant on just injectables and TI.  Good luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

IUIs didn't work for us (we did 3, 2 w/CC and 1 w/injects/acu), but it depends on your dx (which it looks like is unexplained/AMA?).  The last RE we did an IUI with thought that she could get us pg with additional rounds, but the main advantage of IUI over TI is if you have some MFI or a hostile cervical environment, which it doesn't sound like you do. 

FWIW, if I was 39 (just as I did when I was 34), I don't think I'd waste a lot of time and money on IUIs, but that's just my 2 cents...  GL!

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    IUI #1 with injectibles worked for me. We're OOP for everything, and drugs alone were $3000.
    Me: 30, Dx Unexplained/hypothalamic amenorrhea
    DH: 31, normal!
    April/May 2011: Menopur + Ovidrel +TI = BFN
    Oct 2011: Menopur + Hcg +IUI = BFP!
    Beta #1 (13dpiui)= 129.7, Beta #2 (15 dpiui)= 305
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome!
    My Blog

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I think your chances of success are heavily dependent on your diagnosis, if you have one.

We tried two unmedicated IUIs to start, bc we are dealing with MFI, both BFNs.  We were successful on the first clomid IUI, but I miscarried.  We were successful again on our next clomid IUI cycle after my m/c.

Good luck to you!  I think the IUI vs. IVF conversation is something that you have to have with your RE.   Ultimately, even if everyone on this board got pregnant on their first IUI, that doesn't really mean anything for you.  I would speak to your RE about your concerns and decide from there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

First I am sorry that you are dealing with IF issues. I know how hard, stressful and heartbreaking it can be.

We tried for a full 2 years - one year working with RE for testing, surgery etc. then 2 rounds of just clomid. Then we did one round of IUI with clomid and injections and got pregnant on that first IUI round. We were lucky that our insurance covered much of the IUI but would not have covered any of IVF if we needed it.

OUr Re had recommended that we go straight to IVF from Clomid,  but we were not convinced as well as that insurance would cover the majority of IUI so we wanted to at least give it a try first. I am so glad that we did! 

Good luck!

imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options

I got pregnant on IUI #1 combined with Clomid and an HcG trigger shot, but as other PPs have said, it depends upon your diagnosis.  I had 3 mature follicles and am pregnant with 1 baby. 

It only cost us around $500 (injectables would have made it much more expensive). You may want to ask if your RE recommends a few Clomid/IUI cycles before moving on to injectables, to save on costs.

I was 32 when I got pregnant, but had some hormonal imbalances (see siggy) and a blocked tube.

Good luck to you!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC Since April 2010
    Dx: Hypothyroid, High FSH, Low progesterone, Blocked left tube
    BFP 5-2-11; m/c 5-9-11
    July 2011: 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI #1 (7/13) + Progesterone = BFP!!
    EDD: 4/04/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My first IUI was a BFN and my second IUI cycle I got pregnant prior to the IUI (we thought I hadn't O'd and cancelled the cycle). We used Clomid both cycles.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Options
    I got pregnant on my second IUI that was actually being monitored by an RE.  We were also using injectables.   I definitely think it is worth it!
  • Options

Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through IF.  It totally sucks! 

I got pg on my first IUI using femara and trigger.  DH and I also talked for a long time about whether we should go for IUI or IVF first because for us (unexplained IF), the chances were a lot higher for us to get pg on IVF.  We decided to do IUI first because it was less invasive and we could see how I responded to the meds.  Luckily we didn't need to go any farther.

I wish you all the best on your IF journey, and I hope to see you here on this board soon!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"