North Carolina Babies

Need help picking out unique girl name!

My first baby is due in 10 weeks. The gender is a surprise, and my husband and I cannot agree on a girls name. We have a boys name picked out, but are really struggling when it comes to girls names. We like unique but not unheard of names. Some names that I love:

Paris | Piper | Tanna | Mia

Hubby's favorite names:

Peyton | Charley | Cayden (yes, all for girls. I like them, but don't see my child being named any of these)

We both agree that we like the name Anden, but we don't love it. We have a huge family (on my side of the family alone, there are about 80 grandchildren) so you can imagine that lots of names are already taken.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Need help picking out unique girl name!

• My picks for a future girl are:

Leighton, Avery, Sierra, Payton

Of course DH is not crazy about any of them Sad

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are several Piper's around here these days (I know of 4 or 5 including mine - although she is called Caroline).

What about Keegan or Kenan?
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• Loading the player...
  • I guess I like more traditional names, so you probably won't care for my suggestions. But some names I'd love to use if I had a house full of girls are Margaret (nn Meg or Maggie), Camille, Astrid, Adelaide, Adele, Evelyn, Ruth (if this baby is a girl, her middle name will be Ruth).
  • Of all your names, the only ones that I like are Mia & Piper. The rest are NMS. The name Anden sounds really awkward to me. 

I prefer more traditional names - my top picks are Rachel, Anna, Caitlyn, Hannah, Kate  - so that probably won't help you:) 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Mia and Piper are super popular right now at least around here, so I don't know that I would classify them in the unique category.

Paris is NMS, to trendy and makes me think of Paris Hilton.

Have you bought a book of baby names? That might be helpful to see them written out and next to other names. 

• What about Mia Charlotte ? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also a more traditional name gal but my cousin just named her little girl Kianna (they live in MI).  Something different I haven't heard before.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with the others, until you are out on the playground or in a preschool/school setting you don't realize how popular names are. All the names you think are unique, most people name their kids!! I can't tell you how many Aubrey's I've met and I wanted to name DD that, and I thought it was super cute, but now I am so glad I went with something more traditional/non popular/non trendy.

It is hard to understand all that until you on on the playground and there are 15 moms all screaming the same name, or people can't pronounce your childs name because of odd spelling. My suggestion would to narrow it down to 2 or 3 and wait until you see the baby before deciding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I may be biased because my DS's name is Peyton, but if you chose that name for your girl, I would probably go with the spelling Payton. I know several boy Peytons and the girls I know with the same name spell it Payton. Good luck deciding!
  • What about Delaney or Darcy? I also like traditional names like Mary or Catherine or Elizabeth. Somehow the traditional name just sound so classy and ladylike to me.

If I ever have a little girl it's a toss up between Delaney Elizabeth or Mary Caroline.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If we were to have another girl, we would consider Leia, Darby or Teagan,

I've always like Payson but since we named DD Preston, using both would be too "cutesy."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Girl P - 11/15/10
  • imagedbertagni:

I agree with the others, until you are out on the playground or in a preschool/school setting you don't realize how popular names are. All the names you think are unique, most people name their kids!! I can't tell you how many Aubrey's I've met and I wanted to name DD that, and I thought it was super cute, but now I am so glad I went with something more traditional/non popular/non trendy.

It is hard to understand all that until you on on the playground and there are 15 moms all screaming the same name, or people can't pronounce your childs name because of odd spelling. My suggestion would to narrow it down to 2 or 3 and wait until you see the baby before deciding.

Very true. My DD is Aubrey. I had no idea how popular it was/going to become when I named her. I still love her name though. :) I like Piper & Peyton from your list. Some other ones I like:

Avery, Blakely, Camryn, Emory, Emerson, Everly (my favorite), Hayden, Kenley, Finley, Braelyn, Devon, Carson, Rylan, Blair, McKenna, Ansley, Ainsley, Reese...but some of these may be too "cutesy"/trendy though... 

• Try the website nymbler.com. You can enter up to 6 names (like the ones you already have on your favorites list) and it will suggest names that you will like based on those preferences.

Good Luck!
    Married 10/16/2004 D 3/25/07 S 10/2/09 M/C 12/20/11
  • nymbler.com is a great site. . .it's where we found our name for our son (who'll be born in 6 days!).

I'll just throw this out there for a girl: Melora

ok, it's my name. a bit strange (but very similar to normal names: Melanie, Laura, etc), barely anyone on the planet with the name, but I get tons of complements on it. I didn't like it until I was older. We used it for my daughter's middle name. 

• Piper~ I like this one.

Paris~ Run far away from this one

Tanna~Not a fan

Mia~ I know a couple and it is a good choice

Peyton~ My favorite of your choices

Charley~ For a girl? 

Cayden~It could work

So out of all your choices Peyton is my vote.

Also, Anden makes me think of And Theeeen.  No And Then!  So yea, not a fan.

• imageaubreysmom1:
    imagedbertagni:

I agree with the others, until you are out on the playground or in a preschool/school setting you don't realize how popular names are. All the names you think are unique, most people name their kids!! I can't tell you how many Aubrey's I've met and I wanted to name DD that, and I thought it was super cute, but now I am so glad I went with something more traditional/non popular/non trendy.

Very true. My DD is Aubrey. I had no idea how popular it was/going to become when I named her. I still love her name though. :) I like Piper & Peyton from your list. Some other ones I like:

Avery, Blakely, Camryn, Emory, Emerson, Everly (my favorite), Hayden, Kenley, Finley, Braelyn, Devon, Carson, Rylan, Blair, McKenna, Ansley, Ainsley, Reese...but some of these may be too "cutesy"/trendy though... 

Camryn is a great name :)  We also didn't find out the sex and if we had a boy we were going to name him Cameron. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• I feel like Piper and Mia are extremely popular.  If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Mia is ranked high on popular name lists.  I don't care too much for the others either.  A great place to seek opinions and ideas is the baby name board here on the bump.  I was on there tons when we were trying to figure out a name for #2.  My girls are Rosalyn June and Lydia Laura.  The MNs are family names and we were pretty set on those and just found first names that would go well.  I (obviously) love both!  I also really like Vera, Ivey, Ruth, Lucy (although this is getting popular, I think), and Marilyn.
  • One of my friends just used Emmeline and her name is Turner...both I like and think are a little different for a girl. GL!
  • Before we found out we're were having a boy, my husband and I threw around Tatum for a girl.  I still think it's pretty cute and different!
  • Karrigan or Anystin?
  • imageBean&Don:
    Karrigan or Anystin?

As in Nancy Kerrigan or Jennifer Aniston only spelled like a toddler decided on the spelling?

• imageECUPirate04:

imageBean&Don:
    Karrigan or Anystin?

As in Nancy Kerrigan or Jennifer Aniston only spelled like a toddler decided on the spelling?

LOL! I was sitting here looking at Anystin and could not figure out how to pronounce that one! I can't imagine a professional having a name like that 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"