Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Can albuterol raise body temp?

I can't remember if this is true or if I'm just making this up.  If it does, then by about how much?

We just gave Liam a breathing treatment and he felt hot a few minutes afterward.  I took his temp and it is up to 100.5.  I am trying to decide whether or not this is the albuterol or if his fever is spiking again (after being gone most of the day).  I am going to check again at 6:15 to see what it is doing.  I have to make a decision about work/daycare by 6:30 so I can make the appropriate phone calls. 

Thanks!

BTW, he was diagnosed as being over the croup but having a possible sinus infection/upper respiratory infection and he's on antibiotics now.  

image image

Re: Can albuterol raise body temp?

• It doesn't have that impact on my son but it makes sense that it would though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been on albuterol my entire life and have never heard of it causing a fever. That being said, i consulted Dr. Google and it can be a serious side effect, but only if it's a very high fever. Is this your LO's first time using albuterol?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just looked it up on Lexicomp, which is the drug lexicon we use at the dental school for any drugs our patients might be on.  I do not see it listed as any of the potential side effects.  My pedi would consider that a low-grade fever though, and would just tell me to keep an eye on it.
  • Oh, and I hope he feels better soon! My LO is dealing with a cough and cold. :-(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also suck at reading and can see now that he has been sick and had a fever before.  I'm sorry.  Sad  I hope he feels better soon!
  • Thanks for the advice.  It was still the same at 6:20 so I went ahead and called out.  I feel like we can't catch a break around here! 

image image
  • My son has reactive airway disease and we haven't given him a treatment in a while, but last cold/flu season he got a lot of treatments of albuterol and it never raised his temp.  You might want to call your pedi if the fever continues. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"