Eco-Friendly Family
Options

NBR - Disgusting Dandruff

I have the worst dry, itchy flaky scalp in all the land! I've tried medicated shampoos, all natural oil shampoos, tea tree oil, just not washing (gross, I know, but I'm desperate!) and a number of other tricks, but nothing seems to help at all. Any other suggestions? Thanks! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR - Disgusting Dandruff

• Options
    Did you try and apple cider vinegar rinse? It helps my husbands, but doesn't completely make it go away :(
  • Options

Any chance of an allergy (food or contact)? Any vitamin or nutrient deficiency?

Make sure you are getting lots of hydration and healthy fats in your diet. I also agree with pp about the vinegar rinse might help too. Good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try washing your hair with a tblsp of baking soda in a cup of water. Massage genty all over your scalp and rinse really well. Follow with a tblsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. Pour all over, let sit for a minute and rinse. I've been doing that for a month now and my hair is in great condition ad I'm down from washing it every 2 days to every 3-4 days already!! DH just tried the baking soda tonight for the first time as he basically gets cradle cap on his scalp. The BS exfiated all the build up of dry skin that was on his scalp and he said it felt heaps better. Hopefully it will clear it for him over time. Sorry about spacing, on my iPhone!
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imageMelissaMiso:

Make sure you are getting lots of hydration and healthy fats in your diet. I also agree with pp about the vinegar rinse might help too. Good luck

I would echo this. I find I get scalp issues (and skin issues) when I've eaten too much dairy or sugar. Also, if you were using medicated shampoos, depending on how long it's been, your skin may still be trying to rebalance. 

• Options
    imageSoyager:
    imageMelissaMiso:

I would echo this. I find I get scalp issues (and skin issues) when I've eaten too much dairy or sugar. Also, if you were using medicated shampoos, depending on how long it's been, your skin may still be trying to rebalance. 

DS and I both have food allergies, and because I EBF I'm already basically down to rice, beans and veggies. I hope I'm not allergic to anything else! I haven't used the medicated shampoo in a few months. I've been using an organic tea tree shampoo that isn't really helping at all. I might try the baking soda and ACV. Thanks for the tips, ladies!  

• Options
    Have you considered the possibility that it could be psoriasis? I have psoriasis of the scalp. I probably have had some form of psoriasis for a very long time but it really didn't flare until after the birth of my ds. It was so bad that I was experiencing scarring alopecia. I have to use prescription meds to control it. Psoriasis can be triggered by too much sun, hormone imbalance, too much sugar, certain foods, stress, etc.... 
    <Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    Along the lines of possible psoriasis- my dermatologist friend rx'ed me Nizoral (shampoo) and Clobex (topical cream for around the hairline) and mine has completely gone away!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

wife to joe 2.2.08. mama to noah 9.5.09.
    After multiple m/c's, a MTHFR diagnosis and the Lord calling both of our hearts in the same direction, we're adopting!
    theluckiest
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    If it's that bad, it might be psoriasis or eczema. You might consider doing an elimination diet to see if any food changes lead to improvement. Also, I was always told to not go to bed with wet hair when mine flared up, so if you shower right before bed, that might be making it worse.
  • Options
    Mine has been bad off and on for years. This time of year it always seems to get worse. Apple cider vinegar works for me. I started using it when I was pregnant with DS.  I saturate my hair and scalp, leave it on for a few minutes, rinse and shampoo as usual. I repeat and do a second treatment a few days later and then I don't need to do it again for about at least a month. I do smell a bit like a salad on vinegar days though Stick out tongue.
    Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"