May 2011 Moms

Table Food

When do you plan on starting table food? I know some of you are doing baby led weaning, how is that working so far? Tell me your solids plan for you LO! My SIL told me she started chicken and other table foods at 6 months with my niece, just wanted to see what everyone else is doing! Thanks! 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Table Food

• We are doing BLW and it is working really well! The trick is to give soft-cooked large pieces that they can grasp and it can stick out above a closed baby fist, cooked/steamed with no salt. Lila loves broccoli, sweet potatoes, and bananas. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am doing BLW as well and it is working really well.  I love it thus far.  He has gagged a few times, but nothing serious.  He has had sweet potatoes, carrots, bananas, and avocado.  

I cut the food into steak fry type shape.  He is actually getting good at even getting what is inside his fist by opening his fist and eating what is stuck to his hand.  It is too cute.  I also noticed that he is able to take bites and chew much better only a week and a half into solids.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We tried avocado last night. More avocado got onto his arm, high chair strap, and clothes, but some eventually made it into his mouth region. I think he *might* have gotten a taste of it.

I never realized before how dang slippery avocado can be! I'll try tomorrow with something a bit easier to grasp.

He seemed to enjoy squishing it around, though, and he was thoroughly intrigued by it. When he finally did manage to pick it up, it went straight to the mouth (but didn't make it b/c he squeezed so tightly it was a soap-bar effect thing). 

• imageMcAllie5:

We tried avocado last night. More avocado got onto his arm, high chair strap, and clothes, but some eventually made it into his mouth region. I think he *might* have gotten a taste of it.

I never realized before how dang slippery avocado can be! I'll try tomorrow with something a bit easier to grasp.

He seemed to enjoy squishing it around, though, and he was thoroughly intrigued by it. When he finally did manage to pick it up, it went straight to the mouth (but didn't make it b/c he squeezed so tightly it was a soap-bar effect thing). 

I got this tip from another board...crush up some Rice Krispies or other mild cereal or crackers and roll the avocado in it to make it grippy. Another way is to keep the skin on, but it doesn't work as well.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAnneShirleyBlythe:
    imageMcAllie5:

We tried avocado last night. More avocado got onto his arm, high chair strap, and clothes, but some eventually made it into his mouth region. I think he *might* have gotten a taste of it.

I got this tip from another board...crush up some Rice Krispies or other mild cereal or crackers and roll the avocado in it to make it grippy. Another way is to keep the skin on, but it doesn't work as well.  

That's a good tip! I tried the skin on, and that's the only way he could even kind of pick it up, but it was still very slippery. He was trying so hard; I felt bad.
  • I am totally in support of BLW, but we are not doing it (for no other reason than I knew I had to read up on it before really doing it, and I don't have time, energy, or desire to read another book... ha ha)  SO -- we decided to do traditional(?) introduction of purees. 

We decided to start with wheat cereal, which I totally did not think I would do.  But, I had a box on hand from a friend, and my avocados that I bought were NOT getting ripe, so I just decided to dive in with cereal one day.  We did a few days of cereal & breast milk.  We then did cereal/avocado for a few days, and then today introduced avocado/banana. Later this week, I'll probably make a batch of squash, and that will be the first of many foods I'll make & freeze.  Well, we also have applesauce in the freezer from earlier this fall. 

The actual feeding part is going pretty well!  Pretty messy... just how it should be :-)  I can't get LO to keep his thumb out of his mouth when eating, so that just adds mess (but helps keep the food in & get down, I'm sure!)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"