Indiana Babies

Grandma Shower

My mom's friends are hosting a "Grandma Shower" for her in a couple weeks.  I'm invited as well and am trying to come up with a creative gift to give her (but I seriously lack in creativity).  Any ideas?  These will be her first grandchildren, so needless to say, she is beyond excited.
Owen and Olivia born on November 2, 2011 at 30.5 weeks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Grandma Shower

• I have never heard of a Grandma shower before. How do they work? Do they get gifts for the baby to use at their house or something?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebrithil:
    I have never heard of a Grandma shower before. How do they work? Do they get gifts for the baby to use at their house or something?

Yes, apparently it is to give her gifts that she can use when the babies are at her house.  I seriously think she will have more stuff than me (kinda silly in my opinion).  People are giving her a pack n play, high chairs, car seats, etc.  I'm not sure all that's necessary!

Owen and Olivia born on November 2, 2011 at 30.5 weeks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe check Red Envelope for a special occasion gift, or what about a birth stone ring or pendant for a necklace? You could do a pic of the ring or give her the chain since you can't positively know the birth stone yet. I'll keep thinking...
  • What about books for different ages to keep at her house.  My mom had hers after DS was born.  We gave her a name charm for her g'ma bracelet.
  • i was just looking on etsy and saw some cute gifts.

you can go to etsy.com and in the search button type "grandma gifts"  a lot comes up...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any ideas that haven't already been mentioned, but I have to say that the content of this post was significantly different than the initial image that popped into my head when I read the subject "grandma shower". ewww ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemarleysmom:
    I don't have any ideas that haven't already been mentioned, but I have to say that the content of this post was significantly different than the initial image that popped into my head when I read the subject "grandma shower". ewww ;)

Hahah!!  

• There was talk about a grandma shower for my MIL.  I was annoyed, because they wanted me to buy HER a present for ME having a baby!  I would just get books or toys.  Toys are a pain to carry back and forth IMO.  MIL bought a pack'n'play to keep at her house and I was outraged.  We spent $100 on one to take when we are traveling, including going to her house.  $100 is a lot of $ to me, and I feel like she threw my $ down the drain.  We basically only travel to their house and my dad's.  Sorry I ranted a bitEmbarrassed
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
  • Sorry, double post
  • There was talk about a grandma shower for my MIL.  I was annoyed, because they wanted me to buy HER a present for ME having a baby!  I would just get books or toys.  Toys are a pain to carry back and forth IMO.  MIL bought a pack'n'play to keep at her house and I was outraged.  We spent $100 on one to take when we are traveling, including going to her house.  $100 is a lot of $ to me, and I feel like she threw my $ down the drain.  We basically only travel to their house and my dad's.  Sorry I ranted a bitEmbarrassed
  • Okay, I don't know what happened, bump fart. Sorry!

• imagecmhicklin:
    There was talk about a grandma shower for my MIL.  I was annoyed, because they wanted me to buy HER a present for ME having a baby!  I would just get books or toys.  Toys are a pain to carry back and forth IMO.  MIL bought a pack'n'play to keep at her house and I was outraged.  We spent $100 on one to take when we are traveling, including going to her house.  $100 is a lot of $ to me, and I feel like she threw my $ down the drain.  We basically only travel to their house and my dad's.  Sorry I ranted a bitEmbarrassed
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagecmhicklin:
    There was talk about a grandma shower for my MIL.  I was annoyed, because they wanted me to buy HER a present for ME having a baby!  I would just get books or toys.  Toys are a pain to carry back and forth IMO.  MIL bought a pack'n'play to keep at her house and I was outraged.  We spent $100 on one to take when we are traveling, including going to her house.  $100 is a lot of $ to me, and I feel like she threw my $ down the drain.  We basically only travel to their house and my dad's.  Sorry I ranted a bitEmbarrassed
  • Weirdness for me too!  Sorry!

Yeah, I have to admit my first reaction to this was that I hope my mother never ever hears of such a thing as a Grandma shower.  My mother and I are not very close and she has done a lot of hurtful things to hog the spotlight on important days for me in the past (my wedding when it was "All about her", etc).  So I'm already honestly dreading telling her I'm pregnant.  So I share your pain cmhicklin. 

Good luck finding a Grandma shower gift!  I'm wondering if there's anything that only you could give her, like a coffee mug with the u/s pic on it or something like that?

• imagecmhicklin:

My Momma got a pack n play for her house too. And I plan on having my own. I'm glad though because even though I do plan on having mine for the same reasons as you, it's one less thing I have to worry about loading up and packing to her place. I just figure it'll make things a little more convenient. But think of it this way, the less wear it has on it the better of a resale value you'll get or the better hand-me-down it will be! 
    As far as buying her a present I probably would have done something smart and made it a gift all about me or something. haha. A three-opening picture frame would be perfect. A spot for Momma, one for Daddy, and one for baby. (or u/s) hahahaha 

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"