May 2011 Moms
Options

Babies Around Sick People

When LO was first born, I would not let him NEAR anyone who was sick. I am still the same way now - If someone is sick, I don't want him around them.

Am I overreacting to things? Or should I not worry as much, as he is 5 1/2 months now. I know he will get things, but I would like to put it off as long as I can!

Re: Babies Around Sick People

• Options
    No I don't think you are overreacting. I'm the same way and will continue to be this way all the way through her toddlerhood.I mean I'll let her close to family but just ask that they not get too close to her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you're overreacting, so am I.

I'm a self-proclaimed germaphobe anyway. 

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not a big worrier about germs.  I think at some point you have to accept that kids are germy little things and they will be exposed to a lot of crap, especially from other children.  By this age, they have a much better immune system than they did as newborns and they've also had some of their shots.  There is a big difference between a 2 week old spiking a fever and a 6 month old.

I mean, if someone is like "hey I have strep throat" we aren't going to hang out with them.  But if some other kid has a runny nose, meh.  God only knows what my 3 year old and her friends have exposed my baby to.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:

I'm not a big worrier about germs.  I think at some point you have to accept that kids are germy little things and they will be exposed to a lot of crap, especially from other children.  By this age, they have a much better immune system than they did as newborns and they've also had some of their shots.  There is a big difference between a 2 week old spiking a fever and a 6 month old.

I mean, if someone is like "hey I have strep throat" we aren't going to hang out with them.  But if some other kid has a runny nose, meh.  God only knows what my 3 year old and her friends have exposed my baby to.

This is my attitude as well.  

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    I'm starting to relax about it.  Like a PP said, it isn't like they are 2 weeks old. They're going to get colds, etc eventually.  It is all part of building up their immune system.  They're going to be exposed to everything once they are in daycare and school anyhow.  However, I'll steer clear of anyone with something serious...strep throat, fevers, stomach flus, etc.    
  • Options

imagebluesapph:
    I'm starting to relax about it.  Like a PP said, it isn't like they are 2 weeks old. They're going to get colds, etc eventually.  It is all part of building up their immune system.  They're going to be exposed to everything once they are in daycare and school anyhow.  However, I'll steer clear of anyone with something serious...strep throat, fevers, stomach flus, etc.    

Yep.  There is evidence that exposure to everyday dirt and germs helps kids build more robust immune systems and lowers their risk for allergies and autoimmune disorders later in life.   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:

imagebluesapph:

Yep.  There is evidence that exposure to everyday dirt and germs helps kids build more robust immune systems and lowers their risk for allergies and autoimmune disorders later in life.   

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Germs are bad.

The end.

Stick out tongue 

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Options

A baby we see have a date with each week got hospitalized yesterday for a respiratory infection. :(  She wasn't obviously sick when we saw her, but I've been watching mine like a hawk.  

I will avoid people who are obviously sick, but we're not going to shut ourselves in either. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LO is not in DC, we only go to story time once a week and he doesn't even "play" with other kids, we have once-a-week play dates with friend and her baby, yet DS has had three colds in a little over a month. What I mean is, even if you try to keep them away from germs, germs will find you. But I don't think you are overreacting.

• Options

We aren't seeking out ways to get sick, but DH is a teacher so he's brought home 2 colds in the last month. Thus, I don't see any point in refusing to visit someone like my brother just because there's a cold in his house. I'm going to end up occasionally miserable no matter what I do. No point in also becoming a hermit.

Things are also often contagious before there are symptoms. The only way to stay well is to never have any human contact.

• Options

Adellel!  I have missed you! 

I try to keep sick people away too, but she has had her first cold this week. :(  She got it from me so now I have mommy guilt.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for all of the responses!

I am not being a hermit or anything... it all stems from my mother watching my LO during the day, then my sister wanting to bring over my sick nephew while LO is still there. I ended up going to get him. I know he is going to get exposed to things, but if I can prevent it, I just feel better doing so.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"