Austin Babies
Options

How do you say it? clicky

So, I am annoyed by what seems to be the local pronounciation of New Braunsfels....just curious what you do.[Poll]
Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

Re: How do you say it? clicky

• Options
    OMG, it makes me want to jab eyeballs when people say "Braunsfels".  THERE IS ONLY ONE 'S', people!  It's pronounced "Braun-fels".  Nothing else is acceptable. 
  • Options

imageKittyFX:
    So, I am annoyed by what seems to be the local pronounciation of New Braunsfels....just curious what you do.

Its actually spelled (and pronounced) New Braunfels- there is no "s" after the n.We always laugh our asses off at people that put the extra s in there.  My grandma was the worst she would say "New Brunsfields."

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejoyco:
    OMG, it makes me want to jab eyeballs when people say "Braunsfels".  THERE IS ONLY ONE 'S', people!  It's pronounced "Braun-fels".  Nothing else is acceptable. 

Phew.  Glad to know I say it right. I always wondered if I was right or not. 

Given how Austinites love to change the pronunciation of many street names...  Menchaca vs Manchack, Burnit vs Burnet, Parmer vs Palmer (Palmer is just downright wrong), etc, etc, etc.  Although, being a native Austinite I use all the "traditional" Austin pronunciations.  :)

IMG_1749_2
  • Options
    Except that there really is a Parmer and a Palmer...
  • Options

imageAustinAggie01:

maybe so, but in the case that I've heard it the person was talking about Parmer not Palmer.

IMG_1749_2
  • Options

Ugh, this annoys the crap out of me!  Come on, people.  Can't you read?!

ETA:  It annoys me when people say it wrong, not your post annoys me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I always say it wrong.  I know where the S is but I just can't make my mouth say it.  Then I get all self-conscious about it and can't remember which way I'm supposed to say it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSpanishbeauty:

Menchaca vs Manchack

This one alway fuucked me up.  I don't know why it always caught me off guard (when reading it, etc.) but it did.  And seeing as how I'm from Houston and there is a popular street called Kuykendahl (pronounced "Kirkendoll") I don't know why it was so hard for me to get that a street could have a whacked out pronunciation.

• Options
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageSpanishbeauty:

Menchaca vs Manchack

This one alway fuucked me up.  I don't know why it always caught me off guard (when reading it, etc.) but it did.  And seeing as how I'm from Houston and there is a popular street called Kuykendahl (pronounced "Kirkendoll") I don't know why it was so hard for me to get that a street could have a whacked out pronunciation.

I love hearing people pronounce Kuykendahl for the first time. :) 

• Options
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageSpanishbeauty:

Menchaca vs Manchack

But the street *IS* pronounced Manchack.  I went to school at Crockett, which is on Manchaca.  There's a little city/town/? called Manchaca and IT is pronounced Menchaca.

• Options
    imageMrsRosie:

imageAustinAggie01:

O.M.G. My coworked says "Palmer" for "Parmer" all the time and it makes me crazy.

My aunt does this. It is extremely annoying when she's attempting to give directions and refuses to clarify if she means Parmer or not. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagejoyco:
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageSpanishbeauty:

Menchaca vs Manchack

But the street *IS* pronounced Manchack.  I went to school at Crockett, which is on Manchaca.  There's a little city/town/? called Manchaca and IT is pronounced Menchaca.

I went the Menchaca Elementary which is said Men-cha-ca.  But the street is spelled exactly the same but called Man-chack.

correction... not spelled exactly the same, but close.  It's spelled Menchaca, but said Man-chack.  Still doesn't make any sense.

IMG_1749_2
  • Options

My MIL pronounces it New Braunsfels and sent me an email today with the subject "New Braunsfels". I nearly died. DH sometimes says it with the "s" and sometimes doesn't. I'm trying really hard not to correct every little thing he does lately so I am trying to let it slide given it is probably his mom's fault really that he cannot remember which way to say it.

Curious where this comes from though, like who is more likely to put the "s" in there since it doesn't really seem to be a local thing. The 2 people I know that consistently do it were from east TX initially so maybe it has roots there. I don't know but it soooo bugs me. (and then for her to spell it out wrong in the email- omg!)

Manchaca, town or street I've always called "man chack".  How are you guys with Guadalupe? I never pronounce the e.

Palmer is only for Palmer Events Center right? Otherwise the street is Parmer.

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • Options
    This place is weird.
  • Options
    imageMrsBeckO:
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageSpanishbeauty:

Menchaca vs Manchack

I love hearing people pronounce Kuykendahl for the first time. :) 

I can't tell you how many times I was giving people directions to my house growing up and I would hear "well, I found this road called KY-Ken-Doll, is that what you meant?"  LOL  I grew up right off Kuykendahl.  

• Options

imagemcurban:
    This place is weird.

True dat.

• Options
    imageKittyFX:

My MIL pronounces it New Braunsfels and sent me an email today with the subject "New Braunsfels". I nearly died. DH sometimes says it with the "s" and sometimes doesn't. I'm trying really hard not to correct every little thing he does lately so I am trying to let it slide given it is probably his mom's fault really that he cannot remember which way to say it.

Curious where this comes from though, like who is more likely to put the "s" in there since it doesn't really seem to be a local thing. The 2 people I know that consistently do it were from east TX initially so maybe it has roots there. I don't know but it soooo bugs me. (and then for her to spell it out wrong in the email- omg!)

Manchaca, town or street I've always called "man chack".  How are you guys with Guadalupe? I never pronounce the e.

I grew up in the SA area, and down there we said the e in Guadalupe- but pronounced as an "A"(long A) sound. As in the Gualdalupe river (in New Braunfles).  Here though the e is silent- as in the street name.  I still always pronounce the e as an "A" (long a) and have to try to remember not to when I am talking about the street name in Austin.

And I have never heard anyone pronounce Parmer, the street, as Palmer. That would be so annoying.

• Options
    imageSpanishbeauty:
    imagejoyco:
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageSpanishbeauty:

Menchaca vs Manchack

I went the Menchaca Elementary which is said Men-cha-ca.  But the street is spelled exactly the same but called Man-chack.

correction... not spelled exactly the same, but close.  It's spelled Menchaca, but said Man-chack.  Still doesn't make any sense.

The street is spelled MAnchaca.  Like I said, the city is called MEnchaca.  Not the same.

• Options
    This reminds me of a girl I used to work with who had just moved here and could not get "Parmer". She also would say "buddha" for "Buda" (no matter how many times I corrected her. She was also one to say "Burnette" for Burnet. Which I kind of get that one, I think I may have put the wrong emphasis on Burnet when I first moved here too. I don't understand how she just couldn't change her ways though. She would repeatedly say them wrong after being corrected by her coworkers time and time again.
  • Options
    imageKittyFX:

The river is Gwad-a-loop.  The street is Gwad-a-loop-eh.  At least, that's how I say it.  The river is in my town so I hear it a lot.  :)  To hear Cooper say it, though, it's Wad-a-woop.

• Options
    imagejoyco:
    imageKittyFX:

The river is Gwad-a-loop.  The street is Gwad-a-loop-eh.  At least, that's how I say it.  The river is in my town so I hear it a lot.  :)  To hear Cooper say it, though, it's Wad-a-woop.

I think they are both Guadaloop and both Manchack. Just looked on Google maps and don't see a spelling of Menchaca.

Anyway....my work here is done. Thanks for a successful post ladies.

• Options
    imageKittyFX:
    imagejoyco:
    imageKittyFX:

I think they are both Guadaloop and both Manchack. Just looked on Google maps and don't see a spelling of Menchaca.

Anyway....my work here is done. Thanks for a successful post ladies.

ah, I was confused by the school then.  The school is indeed called Menchaca.  But the town, anyway, is pronounced Men-chack-a.  The street is Man-chack.   Don't get it twisted.  

• Options
    imageSpanishbeauty:

imageAustinAggie01:

maybe so, but in the case that I've heard it the person was talking about Parmer not Palmer.

It actually was supposed to be Palmer (like the city in Alaska) but a typo caused it to become Parmer. I don't remember where I picked up this useless tidbit of info but on really old city maps you can see it labeled Palmer. Being from Alaska it took me forever to get that it was Parmer not Palmer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"