Late Term and Child Loss

? PTSD ?

Just wondering if anyone else was diagnosed with PTSD? If so, what are your symptoms? Do you know how long it last? Does one symptom go away and then another? Do they bounce back and forth? 

My main symptoms are insomnia and when I do finally get to sleep (with sleep aid all too often) I have night terrors. I have nightmares that I don't think you ladies even want to hear about. They are absolutely disgusting, graphic and terrifying. They have gotten a lot less, but they still happen from now and then. I have a couple smaller symptoms but nothing really worth getting into. 

Anyone else have PTSD? Care to share your symptoms? How long do they last? I guess it is safe to say it is different for everyone.  

Re: ? PTSD ?

• I don't think I do, but I think DH does.  He was with Adam when he choked, he saw the whole thing happen.  He doesn't talk about it much, but he had nightmares, reliving that.  I'm sure he probably does.  He also has insomnia.  We're almost 10 months out from our loss.  You're right, I'm sure it is different with everyone and I'm sure it changes in intensity, severity, and frequency.  I don't know if this is PTSD related , but I became scared of everything for a long time.  I didn't want to be upstairs in our home cuz I felt like there was a weird energy up there.  My fear was pretty paralyzing.  I still have some of that, but it's gotten a lot better.  I went through periods of panic attacks also.

imageimageimage
  • I have dealt with insomnia and panic attacks since I lost my twins. I'm also much more fearful of something bad happening all the time and sometimes that makes dh crazy because I never used to be like that.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• Loading the player...
  • I have not been diagnosed but I have very vivid dreams. I had my first good dream a few nights ago, but the majority of my dreams are horrible and I wake up screaming.
    Avery Alexander Napaluch born sleeping October 24, 2011 at 32 weeks.
    He was 4lbs. 9oz. and 17&1/2in. He was absolute perfection.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Mommy and Daddy love and miss you Avery.
  • I haven't introduced myself to the board yet, but I lost my twin daughter to a birth injury that happened during the delivery in May and I started seeing a therapist within a month of my loss.  My therapist almost immediately diagnosed me with PTSD - my twin son was in the NICU still for a week after we lost my daughter and anytime the elevator stopped on the floor she was on I would shake.  For a long time I would pick at my skin and have nervous ticks without realizing it.  Those were some of the immediate effects - now I pretty much can't drive near the hospital or the route we took when I was in labor because I get flashbacks.  The flashbacks to the delivery and that first week in the hospital are horrible, but they are getting less vivid.  I can't "call upon" them anymore if that makes sense - they still come out of nowhere sometimes, but I can't bring them up on my own anymore it seems like.

I have full blown panic attacks, and like you I have really horrible, otherwise unimaginable nightmares.  When I wake up startled in the middle of the night and my husband wants to know what happened, I just can't bring myself to tell him.  They are beyond haunting.  Weekly therapy has helped me tremendously, and while there are times I wish I could be on medication my psychologist is hesitant to recommend it because she feels like this is something I need to experience, or else it's going to just come up latently if I push it down with medication.  

It's been almost six months and when I really sit down and think about it there has been improvement,  but it's hard to tell when you are dealing with both grief and PTSD.  I feel like when I'm "grieving" I am still present and can verbalize what's wrong, but when I'm having an episode of PTSD I'm totally out of it and can't function sometimes.  

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I both hate and appreciate the thought that I'm not alone with some of my symptoms of PTSD related to my daughter's loss and my twins' delivery. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"