Georgia Babies
Options

did you tell names before the baby arrived?

We did with Elliot but I am debating not telling friends and family with this baby.  It is a family name and it is a love it or hate it name.  I don't really want to hear the opinions.

I kind of already discussed it with my mom and she said, " you can't call her that.  you have to use a nickname." (That was a little unlike my mom.)  She then added, "You can name her whatever you want we will love any name you choose."   Dh and I aren't into nicknames.  We picked the name we picked for a reason.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: did you tell names before the baby arrived?

• Options
    We only told close family some of them made some negative comments about the name which kind of annoyed us.  If we ever had another baby I wouldn't even tell family the name.
  • Options
    We told.  If anyone didn't like it, they kept it to themselves.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We told though I'm inclined to keep it a secret if/when we have another. No one really said anything, but that's just where I lean right now...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did not tell last time and have not to this time. We picked the names we wanted to use and did not want opinions. People seem to be less inclined to comment after the name is already set. Plus, we find out the gender and tell people so we like to keep something a surprise.
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • Options
    We did with ds but did not with dd and it seemed to really annoy everyone, but I didn't care. We didn't know what we were having anyway and had 1 girls name and 3 boys names going to the hospital - luckily it was a girl because I know no one would have liked 2/3 of our boys names!
  • Options
    We did my last pregnanacy, but I don't think we will this one.  LIke pp's have said, I really don't want opinions.  (that disagree with mine, haha!)
  • Options

imageslwprincess:
    We told.  If anyone didn't like it, they kept it to themselves.

This.  Our name was pretty traditional though, so most people either liked it, or were pretty neutral about it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsKLB:
    We did not tell last time and have not to this time. We picked the names we wanted to use and did not want opinions. People seem to be less inclined to comment after the name is already set. Plus, we find out the gender and tell people so we like to keep something a surprise.
    This. We did the same thing for both our girls. Maybe we are mean, but we enjoyed tormenting all the grandparents and making them wait to find our the name. Lol. It drove them nuts. Personally, I liked the surprise (for everyone else).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    No.  As much as I would like to say I don't care about other people's opinions, the negative comments / opinions would have annoyed me (esp while pregnant!).

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I told. I kind of liked knowing what ppl had to say about the name.  I mean, the kid is going to carry it around forever so you might as well be prepared for what rest of the world thinks about it.  Or at least that was my attitude towards it.

and Andrea, now I really want to know the 2/3 boy names you were thinking about using, haha.

• Options
    I told only a select few people and I didn't tell anyone the nicknames.  We did not tell our parents because I didn't want to hear any negative comments.  We really only told my best friends.  
  • Options
    as soon as we decided we told everyone. if anyone had any comments they could suck it. people have negative comments about everything, and i tried not to let it irk me too much. plus i worked for a place that monogrammed or personalized everything, so i wanted to get a bunch of stuff with his name on it before i left anyways.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I got lots of you can't call her "Polly"....but I ignored that.  People will make fun of any name and well, we loved the name before she was born and we love it now and it suits her.  Besides, its super-cute for a little girl.  Its a nickname and she has a more "grown up" birth certificate name, but we named her what we wanted and ignored people's criticism.
  • Options
    We told once we decided also, which was somewhere in the third trimester both times I believe. I knew we woud not change our minds (we have a very hard time agreeing on names) so we let the opinions roll off our backs :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Options
    We were fairly open about it with all our kids (family and friends knew, but I didn't blast it all over FB or anything like that until after the baby was born).  Certaintly to each their own, but my feeling on it is that I don't like to be all "yes, we've decided, and no we will not tell you what it is" with the people we love most...almost feels like playing a game with them, and that doesn't feel right to me.  We did have more traditional names picked out, so perhaps that colors my opinion a bit because we didn't get any negative feedback. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    I didn't tell.  I wasn't interested in hearing everyone's opinions.
  • Options
    with the first we found out the gender and told everyone the name.  we got a lot of weird looks from people and it was annoying as all hell.  the second time we didn't find out the gender but I think we did share the names.  with the third we did not find out the gender and we did not share names.  I liked keeping it all a secret.  getting comments from people is all kinds of annoying, no one says anything after the baby is born (at least to your face).  if that is the reaction you already got from someone, then I wouldn't tell the name.
  • Options

We were no fun to talk to about names.  We didn't know the sex and we didn't share our name choices with anyone except my BFF.  Privately, we rotated through names to see what we liked.  We even waited for a bit after DS was born to announce his name (much to the grandparents' frustration)

• Options
    Heck no. We didn't tell with DS even though his name is about as vanilla as you can get. Oppinions are like...well you know. ;)
    Team Green for #2! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Shmoo is growing up! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageKerrin:
    I didn't tell.  I wasn't interested in hearing everyone's opinions.

Ditto.  Although we didn't finally pick the name until she was born.  I have a superstitious thing about not naming the baby until he or she arrives.

Baby K ~ born July 1
  • Options
    For each kid we already had a boy and a girl name ready when I went for the gender reveal so from that day forward if anyone asked we told.  In addition, we were so comfortable and did not care what people said. Luckily we didn't have really any backlash but if we did it didn't matter.  Do what makes you comfortable.
  • Options
    We didn't share names with family and friends for any of our children.  In all fairness, we choose 3 names and do not decide on the final name until the baby arrives. So technically, we don't have a name to share.;)  
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"