High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Allergic reaction to 17P injections?

Wondering if anyone else has had a problem with these?  I started 8 wks ago and was fine (I'd done PIO, so no big deal), but the last few weeks the injection sites got itchy (like really bad bug bites) and last week's blew up into a full fledged goose egg.  It itches like crazy.  I don't know if there was something different about my 2nd 4-wk vial or if my body is just wigging out.  Anyone else had a negative reaction?  If so, what did you do?

I've got a call into my nurse/OB to see if they can alter the compounding oil or if we should stop.  I'm a little concerned as I don't have an epi pen and they are getting progressively worse each week...

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Allergic reaction to 17P injections?

• Options
    Eeks! Well that's no fun.  I haven't had any reactions, but I'm only on my 4th week.
    Arrived 4.5 weeks early due to PROM
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Cerclage placed @ 21w6d due to CI (IC)
  • Options

I don't have the welts this go round, but they do itch like a b*t*h.  My last pregnancy on the 17P the whole time I took them i got welts and itched.  The doc suggested a hydrocordone allergy medicine to help.

Same this go round I told the doc and that's what she suggested.  Hope this helps 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't start getting bug bite like bump until the last 4 injections, but cortizone cream helped wonders.
  • Options
    I have had allergic reactions to progesterone for a long time.  I had to do 2 injections a day for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy because I am an IVF pt and had hives all over then and then I had to start P17 at 16 weeks and the hives started all over again.  Zyrtec works so well when I start breaking out in welts and also massaging the injection area helps for a knot to not get formed.  Good luck, also some nights I will do Benadryl instead of Zyrtec and it works well too.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PCOS 2006-2008 Clomid and Metformin all BFN cycles 2008-2009 3 IUI's all BFN Feb 2010 IVF hyperstimulated April 2010 FET#1 BFP with twins m/c at 8 weeks Sept 2010 FET#2 BFP with Brody and Harper born at 22 weeks from IC May 2011 FET#3 BFP with singleton, cerclage placed at 13.5 weeks Neelie Grace born 37.5weeks on Jan 4 2012
  • Options
    I too have had a few reactions like that.  I had one that swelled so bad I couldnt even sit on that butt cheek.  I would definitely tell your doc.  My nurse and case manager both wannted to know every time that happened.  I am 32 wks tomorrow.  i have had 16 shots and we have 5 left!
  • Options
    Yep! It sucks to be walking around scratching your butt!! My OB said to use benadryl cream.
    image image

• Options

I barely started mine on Monday and it is a tiny bit itchy. I am wondering if it's just going to get worse. I feel like I have a marble on my cheek lol

• Options
    Ask them to compound it with a different oil.  The same thing happened to me and using olive oil made a world of difference.
  • Options

Are you allergic to peanuts?  I am an could not take the shot cause thats what is used to make the oil that the med is suspended in. 

If you are they can switch you to pills, which did not cause any reaction for me. There also is other ways like a vag insert that can be used. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"