Pregnant after 35

NT vs CVS? Do i have to choose? UPDATED

Hi ladies,

So I had my first appointment today, saw the heartbeat and the ultrasound, and everything looked good.  The doctor asked me if I wanted to do the NT plus bloodwork tests, and I said yes.  So I booked that for day 1 of week 11 (optimal week to do the test). 

Now my friend is telling me that b/c I'm doing the NT scan then, I won't be able to do a CVS if the results are bad b/c there won't be enough time, and I'll have to wait to do an amnio at week 15.  (CVS is b/w weeks 10 and 12.)  Her doctors office, apparently, tells everyone over 35 to go straight to the CVS b/c the mere fact of their age is going to mean they are not going to get great nuchal results. 

I hadn't realized there was a timing issue and thought that we'd do the NT, see the results, then proceed to a CVS (which I was leaning towards doing.)  Now I'm freaked out that I've eliminated the possibility of doing a CVS at all. 

Obvs this is a question for my doctor's office, but its almost 5 and I left a message but won't get a call back until tomorrow.   

Thoughts anyone?  How long did it take you to get the NT scan plus blood work results back?

Thanks!

Update:  Thanks for all the help ladies!  I talked to my doc, and she said the results take about a week, and they can get me in same day for the CVS if they need to.  So, it'll be tight but there's time.  So, I'm proceeding with the nuchal.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NT vs CVS? Do i have to choose? UPDATED

• The ideal time to do a CVS is 10-12 weeks.  That's why we did our NT at 11w1d, so we would have enough time to get it done if we wanted to.  Make sure you have the bloodwork done at least a week ahead of the ultrasound so they can give you your results right away.  Otherwise, if you don't have the blood drawn until the day of the NT, you won't have complete results available in time to decide on the CVS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks, Elf!  I believe they did the blood draw today; they took about 10 tubes and the nurse came in with 2 extra different tubes that they needed for me, I believe b/c of the NT test.

The ultrasound portion is scheduled for 11w0d. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know about the timing because CVS was never offered to me, but I am floored by the statement "the mere fact of their age is going to mean they are not going to get great nuchal results".  I had the NT scan only and my results were great.  I am 37.  There are many women on this board that have great results after the NT.  True, it's not diagnostic, just odds, but I am disturbed by that generalization at that office.

It took me a week to get everything back, but I did the b/w the same day that I did the ultrasound.  I wasn't given the option to do it ahead of time, but I didn't ask about it either.

• I am also 37 and had good NT results.  With my first at 35, same good NT results.
  • I would just make sure some of the blood that was taken is for the NT. I was given a take home kit for early NT blood work that was to be done at week 9. It was a prick your finger and blot on a card type thing. That way the blood work results would be in at the time of the NT scan leaving time for CVS if desired. In the end we decided to skip the NT altogether and go straight to CVS as I knew I needed more than odds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doctor asked how aggressive we wanted to be with testing, and then he made recommendations based on my answer.  One of my friends (41 at the time) opted to not do any testing, I opted for a medium level (NT and labs followed by the 2nd tri labs a few weeks later).  High level testing would be straight to the CVS or amnio for those that don't want just the odds. 

My doctor's office would only do the bloodwork on the day of the scan (and I had to go back a 2nd time to get the actual NT measurement as the little one wouldn't move to the right angle):  they wouldn't do the labs until the 2nd ultrasound a week later, and it took about a week to get the results.

Many, many women on here have had results come back better than expected for age, so I think that office's attitude is a bit surprising...  If you are already leaning towards CVS though, it might be best to just do that instead.

Me: 41, DH 43 TTC #1 since 8/09 CP 10/09.
    3/11 Clomid-Ovidrel-IUI #1-progesterone= BFN.
    5/11 Femara-Bravelle-Ovidrel-IUI#2-progesterone=BFN.
    6/11 Femara-Ovidrel-IUI#3-progesterone=BFP!
    Beta #1 7/1: 39. Beta #2 7/5: 301 U/S 7/19 - saw HB!!
    EDD 3/12/12
    DD born 3/5/12
    Baby #2 Beta #1 12/16: 439.  Beta #2 12/18: 1240
    EDD 8/22/15

• imageaurora1974:

I don't know about the timing because CVS was never offered to me, but I am floored by the statement "the mere fact of their age is going to mean they are not going to get great nuchal results".  I had the NT scan only and my results were great.  I am 37.  There are many women on this board that have great results after the NT.  True, it's not diagnostic, just odds, but I am disturbed by that generalization at that office.

Same here. My friend had her second baby recently at age 40 and never was told that either.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• imagesheilatakesabow:

Hi ladies,

Now my friend is telling me that b/c I'm doing the NT scan then, I won't be able to do a CVS if the results are bad b/c there won't be enough time, and I'll have to wait to do an amnio at week 15.  (CVS is b/w weeks 10 and 12.)  Her doctors office, apparently, tells everyone over 35 to go straight to the CVS b/c the mere fact of their age is going to mean they are not going to get great nuchal results. 

Thoughts anyone?  How long did it take you to get the NT scan plus blood work results back?

Listen to your doctor, not your friend. Lots of women over 35 have great NT results. I have had two over the age of 35 and both have given me very long odds of any problems. 

See if you can have your blood work done before the scan so that they can give you your full risk profile at the time of the scan. Then if you aren't happy with your odds, you can schedule a CVS immediately. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was given the choice. We had 2 miscarriages before this pregnancy though and my doctor indicated most women in that scenario don't choose to go with the CVS because of the risk. However, I did the NT scan at exactly 11 weeks and had my results by 11w 4d. They were great. But if they weren't I still would have had time for the CVS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"