Boston Babies
Options

St. Elizabeth's Complaint - any shared stories?

I'm about 4 months along in my pregnancy, and I have been to St. E's now at least 6 times for routine blood work and ultrasounds, and the "tour" of their labor and delivery area.
It has been horribly underwhelming.  It seriously induces anxiety to try to navigate the hallways and elevators and uninformed/rude/condescending staff members and medical staff.  I was planning to deliver there because my doctor is really caring and only works out of this hospital, but as my doctor says, this is supposed to be a happy time in your life.....going to St. E's or thinking about heading there for the biggest medical event of my life does not bring happiness, just dread.
As my husband says, they simply have a service delivery problem.  I say they have a complete lack of customer service and always seem too busy to care.  I have had important phone messages unreturned, at least a 45 minute wait each time for both of my scheduled appointments, a 5 minute tour of the labor area that I drove 30 minutes to get to, and serious delays with getting the reports from my diagnostics back to my doctor so we could review them.  
Also important to note is that I think I would like to try to have a natural delivery, but all of their practices, and their 39% c-section rate indicate that is not their priority.  
I plan to change doctors and hospitals (most likely Newton-Wellesley), and I feel like I needed to share my experience with other expecting moms in the hope that this will save someone else some time and stress in making their decision.

Any shared stories, or words of encouragement?

Re: St. Elizabeth's Complaint - any shared stories?

• Options
    My cousin had a similar experience at St. E's and switched to Newton-Wellesley, where she had a wonderful experience. Altho she was bummed to leave her OB, she ended up finding a new doc that she loves. Bottom line: altho your OB is a huge factor, you depend more on the nurses and support staff just as much, if not more. I would recommend switching. Hope that helps and good luck with everything!!!
  • Options

I must tell you that I had a very pleasant experience at St. Elizabeth's despite a very unpleasant situation.  My water broke at 34 weeks 2 days so my son would be delivered early.  I was set up with Pitocin to get things moving and all and all it took 36 hours before he was born, naturally.  No one EVER mentioned c-section to me.  I was consistently checked on and tended to throughout part 1 of our ordeal.  And it had nothing to do with my doctor because he apparently was out of town and NEVER came to check on me or check in until the day of my discharge.

Because of the early delivery my son was admitted to the NICU.  For the most part the doctors and nurses were terrific.  If my son had been born anywhere else he would have been transferred to Children's because of the Level 3 care needed.  I was able to stay at St. Elizabeth's even after being discharged because they had room and I needed to be close to my son (I live 20/25 minutes away.)

Anyway, being at St. Elizabeth's made a very difficult situation as easy as it could possibly be.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a friend who delivered at St. E's with no complaints.  Although I am a FTM (and haven't had the baby yet), I highly recommend Newton-Wellesley.  Before becoming pregnant we had used the hospital for other services (both the ER and my husband's back doctor).  I can't say enough good things about the hospital.  Plus I am also hoping for a natural birth and I know that they have many things that other hospitals do not (birthing balls, jacuzzi tubs, squatting bars, etc.).  I am seen at Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley and they periodically have a "meet the providers" night at the hospital and found it to be very informative.  They will have your birth plan in your medical record, so they know what you want before you even show up. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have nothing to share on St. E's, but if you do decide to switch, Mt Auburn is my recommendation.  Granted I havent really looked around much.  I am a nursing student and I did my maternity rotation at Mt Auburn. I was there for 6 weeks and I loved it.  They are very supportive of any birth plans.  They just underwent  some major renovations.  It is also where I plan on giving birth.  The only thing they dont do is water births.  They have tubs for laboring in, but dont do the birthing in there.

Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I gave birth at St. E's and had a great experience with my VBAC there. They were extremely caring and supportive there but then again that was 6 years ago so things may have changed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have had 2 complicated pregnancies both with St. E's and I can't say enough good things about the hospital and staff. I could go on and on for days but I loved it there and my labor and delivery went great and the fact that they are a smaller hospital made me feel like I was the only one there getting care. Sorry you have not had such a great first impression.

• Options
    if you have the option i would choose NWH over St E.   I had my baby there and the experience was great.  My friend did not have a such a great birth at st E.:(  maybe you could go for a tour of the other places and then decide!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't know anything about St. E's, but I nearly wound up delivering at MGH (long story) and was in the L&D ward there for 3 days, and loved it.  My friends who have delivered at Newton-Wellesley have all had wonderful experiences.  In fact my good friend is a NICU nurse and very familiar with L&D at different hospitals in the area, and when I told her I was pg she immediately suggested delivering at NWH.

I delivered at Salem Hospital which was also good, but probably not a convenient location for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"