Washington Babies

Breastfeeding Supply Question

So by this time in the evening, I'm only getting about an ounce of milk total when I pump, after a feeding. Is this normal? During the day I can get anywhere from 1-2 ounces on each side after a feed. Should I be trying to increase my supply? The dr and nurses told me pumping after feeds would increase my supply, but I don't pump after every feed. I am feeding every 3 hours tops and he always seems content and happy after he eats. What do you think? I'm going to call a Lactation Consultant tomorrow, but wanted to see what your guys' thoughts were. If it helps to know, I exclusively bf'd Emma and nursed for 2 years and had no supply issues.
photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Breastfeeding Supply Question

• Sounds completely normal to me.  When I was pumping, I definitely got more in the am than at night.  No idea why...   If you are feeding him and pumping after, I don't think you have to worry about your supply at all.  If you were pumping exclusively then it might be a problem.  Remember, their stomachs are super tiny in the first few weeks and they don't need much breast milk. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Doesn't sound bad to me either. Are you trying to build up a stash? I was also able to pump more a month or two after birth...when there was milk to get flowing. But in general we just EBF'ed.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally forgot to add that M had dropped down 10.5% of his body weight so we had to do extra feedings with supplementing using extra breastmilk.at his 2 week appt, he had only gained 2 oz in six days and his pedi asked me to see lactation just to make sure my supply is fine. He's got plenty of poops and wet diapers but I'm worried that I'm not making enough to help him grown. P.s. I'm typing from my phone, so sorry about any formatting and horrid spelling :-)
    photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I could only dream of getting rthat much after I nurse. I don't have a supply issue, but K did have a latch issue which made her lose weight. She's a sleepy kid, so I had to fight to keep her awake enough to eat and latch correctly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As long as you are nursing him on demand and letting him decide how long to feed, he should be fine. Babies are much more efficient at getting milk from the breast than a pump. At 2 weeks, your supply is just getting established and his tummy is the size of a ping pong ball. Try not to be worried (which I know is so hard with a newborn), make sure you are getting enough to eat and drink. And trust your instincts. If he seems happy and satisfied and has enough wet and dirty diapers, that tells you he is getting enough. Do see the LC and make sure his latch is perfect. But keep feeding him and he will grow.
  • It's really normal to have lower milk production in the evening. Your prolactin levels are highest as you get REM sleep and then decrease throughout the day. You should make the most milk in the morning and less before you go to bed.
  • Yep, as others said, totally normal! We had to do that supplementing routine with Max too, it is so exhausting and stressful. If he is having lots of wet and dirty diapers though I bet he is on the right track. I would just keep up the frequent feedings and not worry too much about pumping at this point. Hang in there, I know it is so hard!
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • That seems like a pretty good amount of milk to be getting after a feeding, especially with such a little baby.  If he seems full and content, plus you have some left over, I think you're fine!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"