Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Medela pump in style vs freestyle?

I'll be pumping at work & exclusively breast feeding. Which pump do you suggest? What are the main differences? 
BFP#1 10/5/09 | Heartbeat 11/1/09 | D&C 11/24/09 (no hb)
BFP#2 02/18/11 * Beta@15dpo=215 * @18dpo=698 * @20dpo=2337 * @25dpo=10,931 * DS Arrived October 24, 2011
BFP#3 08/12 | D&C 9/12 (no hb)
BFP#4 Due May 1, 2014 Stick baby stick!

Re: Medela pump in style vs freestyle?

• Options

Here is a comparison on the Medela site.  One of the main differences is that the PISA pump is attached to the bag where as the Freestyle can be removed.  The Freestyle has different breastshields and more bells and whistles like a display and memory.  It shows that only the Freestyle is hands free but you can easily make the PISA hands free by buying a special bra.

ETA: For me, the extras of the Freestyle weren't worth the higher price.  I really like my PISA.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    Thank you! The hands free was really tempting. Good to know the bras do the trick too. 
    BFP#1 10/5/09 | Heartbeat 11/1/09 | D&C 11/24/09 (no hb)
    BFP#2 02/18/11 * Beta@15dpo=215 * @18dpo=698 * @20dpo=2337 * @25dpo=10,931 * DS Arrived October 24, 2011
    BFP#3 08/12 | D&C 9/12 (no hb)
    BFP#4 Due May 1, 2014 Stick baby stick!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageiggy.d:
    Thank you! The hands free was really tempting. Good to know the bras do the trick too. 

You're welcome!  They have a lot of good ones on Amazon.  Just search pumping bra.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    I like the pp post thought the price of the freestyle was just too much. The freestyle is smaller and digital but really is that worth 100+ dollars? To me it wasn't. I really like my Pisa. I think it does and excellent job and really like the bag it comes with. I paid $205 for mine and I thought that was a pretty good deal.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options

If you are pumping only at work the PISA would be suitable...

However, I EP'd with twins, and it was difficult to tend to them with the PISA because the bag had to come with me, and it was most often attached to the wall (I never used batteries for it)

At 5 months I bought a Freestyle and it totally improved my quality of life because I was able to play with the babies, or wash dishes or put on my makeup while pumping. I really enjoyed the portability of it and it is so much more compact if you are using it for traveling.

Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I have the freestyle because I got it on an insane sale (less than $100!) but I would not have paid the extra $100 for it over the PISA if I was paying regular price.

The only real benefit IMO is the size/display. I like having the timer on it, and it's easy to carry around from room to room. (If I'm careful to not spill I can walk around the house while I'm pumping.)

I never even attempted the crazy handsfree contraption that came with it. Get a handsfree bra, it will be worth every penny (I forgot mine at work today and I'm cursing myself!). The battery pack is nice (so I can easily pump in my car, or when I'm not near an outlet wherever) but I'm fairly sure you can do that with the PISA too.

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I have the free style and did a lot of pumping at work in cramped tight spots, no outlets. I loved this pump. I even mastered pumping on my commute home....I know, so bad! I bought the "spare parts kit" and extra breast shields so that I never (well only once) got caught in the situation where parts were left at home! Luckily I work at a hospital with a lactation store and was able to purchase the spares! I think I have 3 sets total. I used the wipes for quick cleanings at work and then did the steam bags at home. Great products all around! good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"