May 2011 Moms
Options

LO had an eye appointment today

He was really good about it all.  The dr was able to get most of the tests done that he needed to.  Apparently he is nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in his other. The dr said he will most likely need glasses. It's crazy that they can tell these things so early. He doesn't go again until he is 3, at which point they will confirm if he needs glasses.

It makes me a little sad that he may not be seeing clearly.

Has anyone else taken their LO to the optometrist yet?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: LO had an eye appointment today

• Options

I have not, but I have a girlfriend with 2 boys that both wear glasses. One is 5 and the other just turned 3.  I know she felt similarly to what you are feeling. 

Do you mind if I ask what made you guys decide to see the optometrist?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

In Canada its suggested that babies see an optometrist at 6 months, as well as OHIP covered at that age. My eye dr told me to make sure I get LO checked out right at 6 months of age because I had eye surgery at 3 years old and the condition could be hereditary. I wanted to make sure LO's eyes are healthy (which they are). The dr didn't feel LO inherited my condition (thankfully), but said he wouldn't be in the clear until 3 years old.

I have horrible, horrible eyesight. Dr says it's the equivelent of a 70 year olds eyesight Sad

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNeverEnoughTime:

In Canada its suggested that babies see an optometrist at 6 months, as well as OHIP covered at that age. My eye dr told me to make sure I get LO checked out right at 6 months of age because I had eye surgery at 3 years old and the condition could be hereditary. I wanted to make sure LO's eyes are healthy (which they are). The dr didn't feel LO inherited my condition (thankfully), but said he wouldn't be in the clear until 3 years old.

I have horrible, horrible eyesight. Dr says it's the equivelent of a 70 year olds eyesight Sad

Interesting!! Glad to hear your LO's eyes are healthy.  That's good news!  I personally think little kiddos with glasses are just about the cutest things ever, but I'm biased by my friends 2 boys :)

• Options

Sorry to hear your LO might need glasses. They have such cute options these days, though. My good friend has a 4.5yo DD and she doesn't need glasses, but asks her mom to buy her "accessory" glasses anyway!

I had my own eyes examined a few weeks ago, and my optometrist actually recommended bringing my son in at 6 months old, also. He does an initial eye exam for free. I think he said it was more to look for proper development and to check for any eye disease more than to check the LO's vision.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
  • Options

imagemelpatbat:
    I had no idea babies should see the optometrist.  Weird since DH and I were there last week with DS discussing OHIP covering the cost in Ontario for people under 20.  He never even mentioned that DS should have been checked too.

hmm, that is weird.  They are covered at 6 months, and then every year after.

• Options

I think it would make me sad, too.  Sorry that you are dealing with this.  Both of my kids went to the opthomologist for different reasons.

DD went because she had a patch of dark pigment in one of her irises - everything checked out fine

DS went (at 2months) because his pupils are 2 different sizes - eye health is okay - just different sized pupils.  He may grow out of it...

Good luck. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"