Minnesota Babies
Options

St. Joe's vs. St. John's?

Hi ladies,

I can't make my mind up about which hospital to deliver at.  My midwives are of no help as all they keep saying is, "they're both nice!"  Gee, thanks.

Anyone have personal experience with either?  Good, bad?  

TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: St. Joe's vs. St. John's?

• Options

Did you go and visit them?

I delivered at St.Johns and loved it!  The roooms are newly remodeled and nice and I had great nurses : )

• Options

Thanks, Mill1229!  I was able to see a little video online for St. John's showing the rooms, etc., but the one for St. Joe's won't load. :(

I haven't visited them yet, but our baby classes start in two weeks and we're doing one at each hospital.  I'll definitely tour them both while were there.

Really appreciate your response! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I delivered at St. Johns with my first and loved it there. Seriously didn't want to leave. The nurses were really nice and the rooms are probably the largest I've seen compared to other friends who have delivered at other hospitals. My friend just delivered at St. Johns last week with her 2nd and delivered at Methodist with her first. She loved St. Johns! We can choose between St. Joes and St. Johns too. I don't know much about St. Joes but it's just a little faster drive for us to go to St. Johns and the parking is a little easier so after touring there before our first we decided to go with St. Johns. If you choose St. Johns we may be there at the same time:)

Good luck!

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered both DDs at St John's and loved it there. Am planning on delivering #3 there too. Nice, quiet facility, great nurses, large rooms, decent enough hospital food.
    Wife to an amazing man and mom to three darling girls!
  • Options

I am delivering at John's, mainly because it will be easier and closer for my family to get to. I work at Joe's and would definitely deliver there, but it will just be easier for my northern suburb residing family to go to John's to visit us. Really either would be great, you'll get a feeling for where you would prefer when you visit them i'm sure.

What classes are you taking? I went to schedule ours and it looks like they changed the way they do the classes.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ilovebijou - that's hilarious!  I was confused until I looked at your ticker!  I'll just ask every mom as I walk the halls if she's on the Bump. ;)

FannieRae - you're the first person to mention the food.  Everyone tells me about how much prettier St. John's is.  Food is definitely important to this preggo!  HA!

Akstanl - I guess classes are now done through Amma Maternity.  I ended up doing a bundle thing where you got a discount and chose the "Preparing for Childbirth," "Baby Care Basics" and "Breastfeeding" classes.  It also looks like they do a natural childbirth class, which I'd definitely be interested in, but I couldn't see anything past December when I originally scheduled my classes. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered both my girls at St. Joe's and loooooved it. Both time did NOT want to leave. The nurses are great, the labor and delivery "ward" is very quiet and the rooms are nice and  big. 
  • Options

imagealy&ky:
    ilovebijou - that's hilarious!  I was confused until I looked at your ticker!  I'll just ask every mom as I walk the halls if she's on the Bump. ;)

FannieRae - you're the first person to mention the food.  Everyone tells me about how much prettier St. John's is.  Food is definitely important to this preggo!  HA!

Akstanl - I guess classes are now done through Amma Maternity.  I ended up doing a bundle thing where you got a discount and chose the "Preparing for Childbirth," "Baby Care Basics" and "Breastfeeding" classes.  It also looks like they do a natural childbirth class, which I'd definitely be interested in, but I couldn't see anything past December when I originally scheduled my classes. 

Wouldn't that be funny if all 3 of us were there at the same time. Those are the same classes I wanted to take, I will have to get on that and get scheduled. Have you had any of the classes yet?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Sally - did you labor in their water birth tubs?  Do they let you if you're not doing a full-on water birth? 

Akstanl - my classes start 11/7 and I think my last one is in early December.  They ended up moving my 11/7 class from St. Joe's to St. John's.  I'm wondering if there weren't enough people signed up so they combined them?  I know I'm taking them early, but I didn't want to deal with them over the holidays and possible bad weather.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I actually had two scheduled c/s but when I had done my tour they showed me the water births rooms and if I remember correctly they said you can labor and give birth in the tubs if the room is available. They only have one waterbirth room though.
  • Options
    Oh!  I didn't know they only had one!  Ok, thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think you'll be happy at either. They are very similar in a lot of aspects. Not as "plush" as Woodwinds, but they get the job done. The rooms are nice and big since you stay in one room the entire stay of labor, delivery, and recovery. I had both my girls at Joe's because that is where my doctor delivers and it is very close to home. The parking ramp can be a pain, but you get vouchers for free parking from the nursing station/desk. The food is room service style. You just call the number whenever you're hungry and order from the menu and it is delivered about half an hour later. I loved not having a set meal time.

They do only have one water birth tub, but every room has a nice deep tub you're welcome and encouraged to labor in if you wish, as well as for soaking after birth.

Also, I don't think you're taking your classes "early" at all. Maybe they are offered more frequently with the switch, but I remember feeling like I was taking mine early too. The next series of classes would have put me really close to my EDD and I definitely wanted to have them done in case I went into labor early.

imageimage
  • Options

imagealy&ky:
    Akstanl - my classes start 11/7 and I think my last one is in early December.  They ended up moving my 11/7 class from St. Joe's to St. John's.  I'm wondering if there weren't enough people signed up so they combined them?  I know I'm taking them early, but I didn't want to deal with them over the holidays and possible bad weather.

It looks like we'll be in the same class starting next Monday night. That was the only time/day/location that is going to work for us. Then in mid-December we have a Saturday Breastfeeding and Baby Care class.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageakstanl:

imagealy&ky:

It looks like we'll be in the same class starting next Monday night. That was the only time/day/location that is going to work for us. Then in mid-December we have a Saturday Breastfeeding and Baby Care class.

Oooh!  Yay!  Excited to meet you! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

NoBeautyQueen - thanks so much for a great response!  This is my first so I have absolutely no clue what to expect or what is typical.  I like the idea of "room service!" :)  And thanks for the tip about the free parking.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"