Food Allergy
Options

Fast food and milk allergies

DS has had a reaction to something I ate and I believe I have narrowed it to some food from Sonic. I had a grilled chicken wrap only meat, lettuce and tortilla.  I also had an order of medium fries. I know Mc Donald's fries have a milk coating,but Sonic doesn't show on the website that their fries contain milk allergens. Anyone else had milk issues with Sonic?

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Fast food and milk allergies

• Options
    it could have also been the meat and / or wrap.  I honestly wouldn't trust a fast food place for a milk allergy.  did you tell them you're allergic to dairy and to please check the ingredients?
  • Options
    Agree with PP.  Lots of wraps/breads have dairy in them.  And it might have been hidden dairy like casein, not specifically "milk" in the food.  I always went by the motto, "if I don't know what is in this, I don't eat it."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

fyi I don't think you are correct about McDonalds fries having a milk coating. My DD has a severe milk allergy and has never had any problem with McD fries. I, of course, specifically checked that they don't contain milk.

Correction: So I just went and re-looked up McDonalds fries ingredients and omg they do contain milk! I can't believe it - She's been eating them for probably 2 years, never with a reaction. They don't have a "milk coating," but they do contain "natural beef flavor which contains hydrolyzed milk as a starting ingredient". I'm wondering if she has never reacted because it is hydrolyzed? Either way, I'm going to start avoiding them until we talk to her allergist. Thanks! 

• Options
    imageWYEngTeacher:

fyi I don't think you are correct about McDonalds fries having a milk coating. My DD has a severe milk allergy and has never had any problem with McD fries. I, of course, specifically checked that they don't contain milk.

Correction: So I just went and re-looked up McDonalds fries ingredients and omg they do contain milk! I can't believe it - She's been eating them for probably 2 years, never with a reaction. They don't have a "milk coating," but they do contain "natural beef flavor which contains hydrolyzed milk as a starting ingredient". I'm wondering if she has never reacted because it is hydrolyzed? Either way, I'm going to start avoiding them until we talk to her allergist. Thanks! 

My DS is allergic to milk as well (previous anaphylaxis event) and he does fine with McD's french fries.  It's the only fast food place we go to and has saved us a few times when we were traveling.  I'm not sure why he doesn't react to the hydrolyzed milk but I am so thankful he doesn't!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    OMG, McDonald french fries have milk? WTH. I never would have known that. That is why I love checking with you ladies on this board, I learn so much!
  • Options

I never trust a fast food place.  Even if the food you order is "safe", there's so much risk for cross contamination.

For the fries- maybe because it's cooked at such a high temp it changes it?  That's crazy and awesome that the kids can have those. 

• Options
    It could be a cross contamination issue as well.  Lots of fast food places use one fryer for everything so while the fries don't contain milk they could have been fried in common oil with something that does.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My daughter who does have a milk allergy HAS had a reaction to McDonald's fries! Then recently we tried Burger King fries because they did not have milk as an ingredient, and she also had a reaction to those.  Crazy!!!
    BFP #1 3/99. DD born 12/24/99 BFP#2 8/2008. Missed miscarriage found at 11 weeks, Emergency D&C 10/31/08 BFP #3 1/29/09 Natural miscarriage 2/14 BFP#4 4/24 DD born 12/14/09 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"