Military Families
Options

Joining an "officers wives club"?

Would you recommend it? There's one in the area we're going to and I'm intrigued, but also I'm a little...threatened? Insecure? Not sure the word. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Joining an "officers wives club"?

• Options
    I'd say try it out.  Some clubs are awesome with women who are warm and caring and understanding.  Some clubs are full of whiny snobs.  Check it out and if you don't like the women, for whatever reason, run like the wind!
    Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'd recommend it. I'm on the board of ours and I love it. Try it out - if it's not for you, it's not of you. You haven't lost anything. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd say try it. When we were overseas I joined and loved it. You had half and half with what you got though. Half the women were awesome and the other half you knew to stay away from. The president was amazing as well. I think if you have a good board it can be lots of fun.

Try it and go with your gut!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just like any other club, it all depends on the membership.  I have been in amazing, to indifferent to bad ones. 

Give it a handful of meetings and see what happens.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

It's worth a shot! You'll never know unless you give it a try.

FWIW, I had similar thoughts before I went to my first OSC function. I ended up loving it. I met some lifelong friends and had some amazing times. I even ended up on the executive board for 2 years.

Sure, there were some catty, snobby women. But you'll have those in any circle! I just ignored them and befriended the rest of the ladies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would give it a shot.

I have always participated in our squadron OSSG (officers spouses support group).  It has always been a fun way to be involved in the command, meet people, stay connected to the squadron while they guys are gone, etc.

I have been involved with 5 different groups in one capacity or another (ranging from being the President of one group to just going to major holiday functions with another) and have had a mostly good experience.  One of them was a little more competative/catty... but it was really only two or three people who poisoned the whole atmosphere.  On the by and large I have met wonderful friends - some that I can honestly say I will keep in touch with forever. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

I would. I did it once because we were newly married and I wanted to make friends/get to know the area. It was a good experience, although I didn't make any close friends.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    Luckily where my FI is stationed, they have 3 clubs (Officers, Enlisted, and a general Spouse's support group.)  I only joined the general group because I'm not a fan of being around just "Officer's wives,"  I much prefer to be inclusive than exclusive.   
  • Options
    i like our officer wives club. it is a lot of very seasoned wives and retired wives but they do bunco and tea once a month and a meeting once a month as well. only bad thing is that they met when I am at work so I cant go anymore but it was fun while I could attend. why not try it out and see if you like it!

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    I joined one club and overall it was a really fun experience. I was the webmaster for the club website and met a lot of really great ladies. Like any group you can either be really involved or just try it out. Our club had one monthly official function, lots of sub groups like kids play, bingo, etc. It wasn't gossipy and people didn't even know spouses ranks with the exception of the base commander etc. I would say give it a shot you have nothing to lose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"