March 2011 Moms
Options

Solids

Do any of you feed "2nd" foods yet? I tried looking it up and it seems like everyone says something different. The foods themselves say for "sitters" but I don't want to give DD something she's not ready for.

Re: Solids

• Options

We started solids at 6 months, and my LO seems to be doing fine with most foods. I tried giving him some Fage Greek yogurt the other day, but I don't think that he is ready for it yet and it may have given him the runs. I am praying that I can try again in a few weeks and that it is not an intolerance to dairy. I am going to try meat fairly soon as well.

Fortunately, I did make some Baby Dahl which has turmeric, onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and other spices, and he loved that to death. So I think we may start spicing things up a bit now.

I mostly do BLW with him (the sitter spoon feeds since she is not comfortable with BLW), so I am not really sure what foods are in which stages. 

• Options
    We started feeding the "2nd" foods at 6 months.  We did 1st foods months 4 and 5
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've just started doing some of the 2nd foods with DS.  :)  He has had a lot of variety now so I think trying some new things or mixing things he has already had will be fun for him.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't really get the whole stage two thing. I thought it was just a texture difference? Can anyone explain or provide a link?

DD's first solids were runny purees. I've made her purees thicker and have given her some finger foods - cooked pears, bananas, puffs. She has a pedi appt. today so I plan to ask about meat and dairy. I plan to wait until 8m for dairy (not milk, but yogurt and/or cottage cheese, etc.).

I can't fathom pureeing meat, it just grosses me out too much, so I will wait on that until she's ready to feed herself small pieces of boiled chicken and such.

That's all I've got! :)

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageskio:

I don't really get the whole stage two thing. I thought it was just a texture difference? Can anyone explain or provide a link?

DD's first solids were runny purees. I've made her purees thicker and have given her some finger foods - cooked pears, bananas, puffs. She has a pedi appt. today so I plan to ask about meat and dairy. I plan to wait until 8m for dairy (not milk, but yogurt and/or cottage cheese, etc.).

I can't fathom pureeing meat, it just grosses me out too much, so I will wait on that until she's ready to feed herself small pieces of boiled chicken and such.

That's all I've got! :)

The texture is hardly different but they mix more into each one. Like apples,oatmeal, and cinnamon is one food. Some of them have granola or grains, or other things the first foods don't contain. 

• Options
    DS has been getting 2nd foods for probably 6 weeks now.  He likes them, but I can't get him to take the next step with puffs/mum mums/finger foods, etc.  It seems he likes to pick everything up and put it in his mouth, except for food :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I make her foods and haven't really done anything differently.  She isn't ready for finger foods yet, but she's getting there (starting to move her jaw, pincer grasp forming).  I still puree everything, but I make different combinations and she's eating more now.  I don't really know what makes a food "second level" either.  I just plan to move at her pace and not sweat it until after 12 months.  

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options

imageCutieBean79:
    I make her foods and haven't really done anything differently.  She isn't ready for finger foods yet, but she's getting there (starting to move her jaw, pincer grasp forming).  I still puree everything, but I make different combinations and she's eating more now.  I don't really know what makes a food "second level" either.  I just plan to move at her pace and not sweat it until after 12 months.  

Isn't the jaw moving the cutest thing ever??  I love that DS "chews" when he sees me chewing my food. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

The only difference between 1st and 2nd foods is the container size and the variety. There's no textural difference.

DS has been getting 2nds for probably 2 months - and he's eating finger foods like bits of waffles, puffs and frozen pancakes already. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"