Baby Showers

Birth announcement etiquette

Hello all:  I have tried to find the answer to this question and I can't.  Although not about a baby shower I thought since this is where the etiquette ladies are I would check here.

We are planning on sending out baby/birth announcements once the baby arrives.  Family, friends and some co-workers would be receiving announcements.  My question is:  Are you supposed to send announcements to everyone that attended your wedding?  I have been told that as these people celebrated your union they would care to be informed of when your baby arrived.  (I ask this because both my parents and my husband's parents invited some of their friends to the wedding and I would need to re-obtain the addresses as I lost them after the wedding thank you notes went out.)

Thanks in advance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth announcement etiquette

• I don't know about the etiquette of this, but I would think that birth announcements should be sent to anyone you're still in touch with from your wedding and the people who are in your life now. Mine was 5 years ago, and we're not in touch with some of those people anymore. They come off the list. Others will get a birth announcement.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageearlysun:
    I don't know about the etiquette of this, but I would think that birth announcements should be sent to anyone you're still in touch with from your wedding and the people who are in your life now. Mine was 5 years ago, and we're not in touch with some of those people anymore. They come off the list. Others will get a birth announcement.

I agree. A lot of people, especially of older generations, receive birth announcements and think "I should send a gift". So if I was of this school of thought and received an announcement after not having heard from you since your wedding, I would just think it was a ploy for gifts. So I would just stick to people you are close with, are at the very least in contact with.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't have to send announcements to everyone that your invited or attended your wedding.  We asked our parents if there were any people that they wanted us to send announcements to.  They didn't want everyone who was invited to the wedding and they ended up adding people that had not been invited.  We sent out over 90 which I thought was a little ridiculous and then had to order more for MIL.  She decided there were work people who needed them too.
  • I asked our parents who would want to get one and sent those. Other than that, I went with friends and family.
  • I plan on sending mine to family and friends that I am in contact with and a handful of people that my mom is requesting I send one too.
  • Your wedding and having a baby are two seperate events. Send baby announcements to those you think woud want to know. As others did, we asked our parents if they had people they'd like announcements sent to and we included them. But it had nothing to do w who was invited to our wedding. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I sent mine to everyone I send Christmas cards to (almost all came to our wedding many, many years ago).  Even our immediate family send cards to each other...I know some don't.
  • I wouldn't worry about the ones from the wedding if they were not at the baby shower.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • We use the Christmas card list.   We looked at the list from the previous year and based it off of that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the ppl that were invited to the baby shower would be a better list to go from .. considering you're obviously still in touch w/all those ppl ..
    image Visit The Nest!
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"