Potty Training
Options

4th week and not sure if we should continue

We are in the 4th week of potty training DS who will be 2 in Oct and have only had 2 days that were accident free. It isn't rare to have 3 accidents in a day. We still put a pull-up on him for naps and bedtime and he sometimes wakes up dry. He only sometimes tells us when he has to go so we have to try timing it right and putting him on when we think he has to go. He isn't hesitant about pooping on the potty like a lot of kids are so I think we are lucky in that department.

My question: Do we stick with it and wait for a breakthrough even though there are still a few accidents every day?

Re: 4th week and not sure if we should continue

• Options
    what is your method? I completely got rid of diapers(no pull ups either) and that is when it really changed after two days of just barely making it to the potty she started indicating and after a few days of that she started doing it on her own. Don't give up It sounds like its going well. By the way my dd just turned 2, it sounds like they are on similar routes...

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options

At 3-4 weeks in, I thought DS would never, ever get it.  I used pull ups during naps and night, and sometimes in public too if I wasn't going to be able to deal with changing a whole outfit. 

I'd stick with it.  I think what you're going through is normal!  Now it's been almost 3 months and DS only has rare accidents, and only uses a pullup at night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you are doing great - exactly like my DS and he is 2 in 3 weeks.  The only difference is we don't use a pull-up for naps, only bedtime.  I was disillusioned into thinking DS would be potty trained in 3 days.  My mom told me to give him 2 weeks, which we did, and at that point it was still a major struggle.  

So in the end, I guess it's going to take more like 2 months, and I'm ok with that. They are still on the young side for potty training, but there is no way we would go back to diapers at this point (even with 3+ accidents a day!).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Given that he is just 2, I would stop and hold off at least another 6 months. He isn't ready.

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"