Natural Birth

non-pain related meds and labor

This seems like a silly question, but I'm making a what-to-pack list and wondered: if you have regular medication you take, or even your vitamins, did you take them while you were at the hospital/in labor?  I have a perscription that I'm supposed to take every day, but if I missed a day (or two) at the hospital it would not be a big deal - I miss a day every once in a while and it's not the end of the world.  I'm just wondering if I should even bother trying to remember to pack it or just get back on schedule with it once we're home.
imageimage

Re: non-pain related meds and labor

• I'm not sure how important your medicine is, but I would take it with you just to be safe. You never know what can happen in labor. If you need a c-section or have other complications you could be staying at the hospital for 5-7 days or even more. If you can't or shouldn't miss that many days of your meds, it would be good to have it with you just in case. I'm sure the hospital could provide you with whatever you need, but it would probably cost a lot more on your bill!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• I'd pack it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd take it, but make sure you tell them you are taking it. All of my meds were dispensed-including my vitamin. They didn't really want me to bring anything in. Not that they can really stop you. Just make sure whatever you are taking they are aware of so that they can be mindful of any drug interactions.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagepepomntpat:
    I'd take it, but make sure you tell them you are taking it. All of my meds were dispensed-including my vitamin. They didn't really want me to bring anything in. Not that they can really stop you. Just make sure whatever you are taking they are aware of so that they can be mindful of any drug interactions.

this.

you can pack it in advance in a pill box. just make a copy of the label and put it all in your bag. then you won't have to worry about packing it at the last minute and maybe forgetting. 

• I got my thyroid medication with my other pills in the morning in hospital (ibuprofin, prenatal vitamin, stool softener). If it's noted in your chart, you should get it from the hospital. They like to be in control while you're there.

That said, begging for an Advil sucked. I hate the hospital. They were overbusy / understaffed and it took a lot of asking for me to get anything around there. 

• My doula joked that I had a completely med free birth, because I was pushing at the time I had asked her to remind me to take my allergy pill.

I didn't bring a pain reliever because everyone said the hospital would give me that. I wish I had because it took for GD ever to get a nurse to bring me some and the charged something like $20 per tylenol. It was silly. Also, my MW said they'd give me stool softener and no one ever did. 

So, I would bring whatever meds you want to take. Like PP said, make sure what you're on is in your file so there's no possible interaction problem.

• imagetokenhoser:
    That said, begging for an Advil sucked. I hate the hospital. They were overbusy / understaffed and it took a lot of asking for me to get anything around there. 

This this this!  L+D at the hospital and OB-team care was pretty good.  In post-partum, let's just say I deeply resented begging for ibuprofens and colaces that never showed up.

Even better.  I refused percocets (perc + motrin = violent vomiting for me).  When I demanded ibuprofen, they told me to wait because "well, we like to space out the tylenol from the motrin".  NOT ON PERCS, NURSE!  Seriously, isn't my medication record supposed to be noted on a chart?  If there's a next baby, I'm totally petitioning to get the hell out of post-partum as fast as possible.

Although I had asked a friend about this.  She said it was hospital policy to ONLY administer medications like that on demand.  I guess to minimize unnecessary dosing unless strictly timed administration was critical to efficacy. 

Great, opiods are handed out by default and ibuprofens are rationed like sudafeds.

But I digress.  Take your meds, let them know.  Administer yourself unless there is the potential for drug interactions.

• I'd bring your stuff. I still needed my Zantac for heartburn. It was easier to just bring it than try to get something from the nurses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"