Pre-School and Daycare
Options

What is expected at your LOs preschool...

...not in terms of independence, sharing or behavior...but more along the lines of knowing/writing letters and numbers...  
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg

Re: What is expected at your LOs preschool...

• Options

They only expectation they have is to be fairly well potty trained.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In order to be accepted into the preschool portion of the school my daughter goes to, you only have to be potty trained.  If the child isn't, they'll remain in the early learning division until they are.  As for educational expectations, nothing, really. Preschool is exactly that at my daughter's school; they teach everything (in 3 languages) and it's amazing to see how quickly they learn.  I wouldn't "trust" a preschool that has writing or comprehension expectations for 2 or 3 year olds.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I guess I didn't word my question properly.  

At my sons preschool...they want to see him writing his name by Christmas...if he doesn't he will be considered behind.  Just curious about stuff along those lines.  He only goes twice a week for 3 hours. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    It isn't appropriate to force a 3 year old to write their name.  If they think he's behind, let them.  He's not.  Some will want to, some will try, and others (mine included) will resist even trying.  Don't force it and make him resent writing and school!  Make sure his teachers know where they stand.  There is NO developmental literature that says a 3 year old needs to write their name or they are behind.  In fact, at 3 it should be largely play-based so kids can build foundations for learning.  
  • Options

imagekmhunt11:
    It isn't appropriate to force a 3 year old to write their name.  If they think he's behind, let them.  He's not.  Some will want to, some will try, and others (mine included) will resist even trying.  Don't force it and make him resent writing and school!  Make sure his teachers know where they stand.  There is NO developmental literature that says a 3 year old needs to write their name or they are behind.  In fact, at 3 it should be largely play-based so kids can build foundations for learning.  

This is exactly what I thought...We had our parent teacher conference yesterday and what I gathered from the whole thing is that he is behind with writing and knowing his letters.  I was kind of shocked to hear her say they want to see him writing his name by Christmas!  I, too, thought preschool was just to introduce all of this stuff to him and repeat at home...and then hit that hard in pre-k next year.  Now Iam left all worried about my sons development because he can't  write his name at 3 1/2.  I know different schools have different standards...and he is just NOW becoming interested in this stuff...prior to preschool...there was no way I could get him to sit down and practice learning letters.  

Pregnancy Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    And his teacher suggested being pulled out by a speech therapist because he his L's are W's...stuff along those lines.
    Pregnancy Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    And I don't know if it being a private school makes a difference.
    Pregnancy Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    Do you mean before the year starts or by the end of the year? The school DD goes to is play-based learning. They really emphasize the sharing, creativity, etc. and make it super clear to the parents that while they sing songs and read stories to work on numbers, days of the week, letters, etc., we shouldn't expect them to be at a certain level of literacy or numeracy (is that the word?) at this age.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    His preschool teacher wants to see her students writing their names by CHRISTMAS...if not, she said he will be considered behind.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options

imageLDQAM516:
    His preschool teacher wants to see her students writing their names by CHRISTMAS...if not, she said he will be considered behind.  

that all seems like a little much to me.

I would call around to other preschools in your area and see if they have similar expectations.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

imageLDQAM516:

I would call around to other preschools in your area and see if they have similar expectations.

Thats what I thought...and that is why I wanted to ask on here what other people thought.  I do know another local preschool does not teach them to write their names...I know this because I used to work there...unless things have changed since then.  Like I said...I don't know if it being a private school makes the difference. 

Pregnancy Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    In K3 they only have to be potty trained.  To move on to K4 they are supposed to know how to spell their name out loud and write or trace it.  They are pretty lenient with the kiddos that attended K3 at the school and unless there are other issues they will let them move on to K4.  IMO preschool is more about social education and not academic.  I would look for a new preschool. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

our DD is at a private school and they do work on writing starting in the 4s class (she's in 3s now) but I don't think there's an expectation that a LO would be "behind" if he doesn't do something by Christmas.  That seems silly and arbitrary.  I'd be truly disappointed if a school was actually "evaluating" a child that young.  I would expect a kid at 4 to be able to hold a pencil/crayon and write in a line, circle, etc. and certainly some can write their name, but not all and it shouldn't be a deficiency if they can't at that age. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Honestly, I have no idea if the teacher has set specific "goals" for each kid or what they are. I hope to find out more at parent teacher conferences next month. I do know that since starting in August, DS's writing has improved and he is more interested in pre-reading (letter sounds, etc.). He can write his name and other words (if told what letters to write), but I have no idea if they are expected to do this. I do know that they work with each student at his own pace and just want to see improvement over time. So if a kid comes in with no writing skills, as long as he develops some skills in the right direction, they consider that good. 

But like pps, the majority of this first year is about social and emotional skills.

• Options
    imageLDQAM516:

I guess I didn't word my question properly.  

At my sons preschool...they want to see him writing his name by Christmas...if he doesn't he will be considered behind.  Just curious about stuff along those lines.  He only goes twice a week for 3 hours. 

That is not how my daughter's school works at all, but she is in Montessori, where they encourage kids to learn at their own pace. She is only expected to be potty trained and to be able to put on her own shoes. They are working on 'pre-writing/reading' work right now, which consists of learning the alphabet by the sound each letter makes and making a book with photos that start with each letter (and a place to trace the letters). Her teacher told us that she would more than likely be able to write and/or read by the end of the school year but that it wasn't expected.

I cannot believe they would expect that of a three year old, especially when he is going part-time. I would not be comfortable with that at all.

• Options
    imageLDQAM516:
    imageKathrynMD:

imageLDQAM516:

Thats what I thought...and that is why I wanted to ask on here what other people thought.  I do know another local preschool does not teach them to write their names...I know this because I used to work there...unless things have changed since then.  Like I said...I don't know if it being a private school makes the difference. 

All the preschools around here are private pretty much (one public option) and only a few of the very "academic" focused ones would require writing on a timeframe like that.  I personally would not send my child to a school where they would be deciding she was "behind" on something so arbitrary.  I prefer a play-based curriculum for preschool (3 and 4 year olds).   

• Options

Depends on the age. In the 3 y.o. class, they start learning numbers, shapes and colors. They aren't expected to know any of it prior to starting school. They don't learn letters (writing or recognition) until the 4 y.o. class.

My girls' preschool is very "learn through play" oriented though.

• Options

That sounds really off to me. A three year old to write their name? I would also not be comfortable with this level of expectation and probably start exploring other options if you can.

My DS's  school does not have these sort of expectations although he is in a montessori school. The class consists of 2 1/2 - 6 year olds, so some are writing their names and some are not.

• Options
    They wanted DD1 to be able to write her name last December. That was a little silly to me because she's a July baby and one of the youngest in the class. She wasn't interested then, but became more interested during the summer. She actually was spelling her name correctly for awhile, but now she's stopped. I'm sure they'll be complaining to me soon about it, but oh well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLDQAM516:
    And his teacher suggested being pulled out by a speech therapist because he his L's are W's...stuff along those lines.

Really? I think that is still perfectly normal for a 3 y.o. to have speech issues. I thought the age to start worrying about that was closer to 5 or 6.

• Options

Thank you for all your input...it solidifies that Iam not crazy for thinking the way Iam.  Unfortunately, we live literally in the middle of nowhere so this private school really is the only school around we want to send our children to.  Iam just not going to force him to do anything I do not feel he is ready for yet...and if that is an issue with the teacher...then there will be an issue with us.  

And to the PP about his language...I thought the exact same thing...family and friends seem to think that is a bit early as well.  The teacher just said they want to catch anything before it becomes a habit...but in my mind...he is still figuring out his language so he has a ways to go before anything is a habit.  

My husband and I both agree it is ridiculous to put a strict timeline on a child so young. 

Pregnancy Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    DS is at a private montessori. They expect them to participate in activities and share, no concrete goals for letters or numbers were given.
  • Options
    For DS's 3 yo class, they just have to be potty trained.  They don't even introduce writing until the 4 yo class and even then, it's just that...and introduction.   There aren't any requirements he has to fill.  It think it's asking a lot for a 3 yo to write,
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

At DD's preschool they teach #s, letters, colors, shapes, days of week, months of year....Spanish, etc, etc. But no child is EXPECTED to learn them by a certain time. Each child learns differently, especially at this age.

I guess goals are important, but strict goals like that are a bit much at 3 y.o. IMO.

DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    imageLDQAM516:

Thank you for all your input...it solidifies that Iam not crazy for thinking the way Iam.  Unfortunately, we live literally in the middle of nowhere so this private school really is the only school around we want to send our children to.  Iam just not going to force him to do anything I do not feel he is ready for yet...and if that is an issue with the teacher...then there will be an issue with us.  

And to the PP about his language...I thought the exact same thing...family and friends seem to think that is a bit early as well.  The teacher just said they want to catch anything before it becomes a habit...but in my mind...he is still figuring out his language so he has a ways to go before anything is a habit.  

My husband and I both agree it is ridiculous to put a strict timeline on a child so young. 

You and your husband are in the right frame of mind and that teacher is a bit crazy.  It sounds to me like they are trying to push themselves and the kids in order to be a selling point (which strikes me as odd "in the middle of nowhere" since it seems to a more competitive thing).  DS is in private preschool and while he is learning his letters, there are kids there from 3-5 so she shapes the lessons to eat child.  Right now he's mostly working on tracing and signing his ABC's (or so it seems to me from what he brings home, tells us).

The speech thing is downright crazy!  Articulation is not considered an issue until they are 6!  No ST worth their salt would work with a 3 year old on articulation "issues".

• Options

DD's preschool last year introduced a new letter each week and had them do craft projects and show & tell related to each letter, but they didn't emphasize writing - at some point near the end of the year they helped DD write her name on something she brought home, but they weren't working on it regularly with her.  She started writing the letter A in the spring, but I don't know if that's because it's the first letter of the alphabet, the first letter of her name, or both.  I know they did help kids in the four-year-old class write their names.

This year DD is in a new preschool (we moved) and is learning to write her name - she doesn't have all the letters down yet but she's pretty close.  The kids trace over their name every day when they start school.  I expect she'll have it down in a few weeks, but I'm sure she wouldn't be considered "behind" if she didn't.  Her teacher specifically told us that she works on pre-literacy skills but doesn't push them to read or write before they're ready.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I teach K in public school, and it is completely developmentally inappropriate for them to expect a 3 year old to be able to write their name. Fine motor skills are not even fully developed in children at that age, I think it is fine if a child is expressing an interest in trying to write their name, but they should not consider anyone behind- they are too young!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"