North Carolina Babies

Overnight PTing

Im trying to figure out when is the best time to tackle this. Nap times are no prob and havent been for a while.

But this boy wakes up SO wet every morning, & yes Im limiting his fluids. Nothing after dinner but a sip or 2 of water when brushing his teeth. Still hes soaked.

If your LO is night trained how did you go about it? & do they get up in the middle of the night to pee or really early in the morning? Im guessing this could last another year but Im okay working on it for another year. 1 diaper a day is still better than almost 10! Stories or exp?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Overnight PTing

• DS isn't potty trained yet, but from what I know - night training isn't something you can "do." It just happens. Some kids are really heavy sleepers and will be bed wetters. Not sure if that helps, just my .02
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Ashley was always a very heavy wetter at night. A couple months before Peyton was born, I decided just to go cold turkey with her because I figured I would rather deal with changing sheets, etc before he was born than after. So I put her in panties and she did not have an accident, I was shocked!! The only time she has wet the bed is when she got sick, that probably has only happened twice. So my advice is to go cold turkey, no pull ups etc because it worked great for us. I have friends that have 4 year old still wearing pull ups at night, I never went that route. I realize it may not work for everyone, but Ash was a heavy wetter and still had no problem holding it overnight. Best of luck to you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • We also went cold turkey with Natalie.  She did great for the most part.  Maybe a handful of accidents in bed over a few months but it was only about 2-3 times.  I really don't think how wet they wake up now will be an indication of whether they can night time potty train.  They know they have the diaper on so there is no reason for them to try holding it.  With Natalie, she just started holding it.  I would have to go up the minute I heard her wake up to make sure I got her to the potty on time for the first few months and occassionaly I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to take her but overall, it was a pretty quick training process for her.

I say go cold turkey and give him a chance to figure out that he needs to hold it now.

Good luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Connor is 4 and still wets at night.  From my understanding it is quite normal for them to NOT be fully night trained until 5-7 years old.  He is a super heavy sleeper at night and even when we tried the cold turkey route he slept right through it and didn't even notice until he woke up in the mornings.  For us, it's still pull-up at night for a while.
    image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • imageVivianLee:
    Connor is 4 and still wets at night.  From my understanding it is quite normal for them to NOT be fully night trained until 5-7 years old.  He is a super heavy sleeper at night and even when we tried the cold turkey route he slept right through it and didn't even notice until he woke up in the mornings.  For us, it's still pull-up at night for a while.

And boys may be different than girls too. PT was so easy with Ash, I am sure I am going to have my work cut out for me with my DS ;-)

• imagelah1177:

imageVivianLee:
    Connor is 4 and still wets at night.  From my understanding it is quite normal for them to NOT be fully night trained until 5-7 years old.  He is a super heavy sleeper at night and even when we tried the cold turkey route he slept right through it and didn't even notice until he woke up in the mornings.  For us, it's still pull-up at night for a while.

And boys may be different than girls too. PT was so easy with Ash, I am sure I am going to have my work cut out for me with my DS ;-)

You won't know how he does until you give it a try :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageraceyrae:
    imagelah1177:

imageVivianLee:

You won't know how he does until you give it a try :)

Very true! I let him walk around after bath without his diaper on and (knock on wood) he has never peed. I am hoping it is a sign of things to come ;-)

• Thanks guys.....we'll see how brave I get. Maybe on a Thurs night Ill start and see how the weekend goes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My oldest will be 6 in Dec., and he still wets heavily at night.  Last time we tried the cold turkey thing was right after he turned 5.  2 weeks of me changing the sheets multiple times a night.  Ugh.  We're moving to NC soon, and I'm waiting until after the move to try it again.

I also have an almost 4 year old.  Also not dry at night yet.  I'm trying not to get frustrated.

I'd try going without the pullup for a few nights to see how it goes.  For some kids, the pullup is a crutch, and for others they sleep too deeply, and/or their bodies just aren't ready to hold it all night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"