Infertility
Options

Any insider tips for pre- or post-ER?

I'm thinking this is pretty straightforward, but I thought you might have some helpful suggestions.  Thanks :-)

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
Baby boy Henry born 2015.
Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.

Re: Any insider tips for pre- or post-ER?

• Options

I know I am a first-timer, but I wish I had brought some of those disposable heating pads for the ride home. The nurse gave me one for the car, but we had a long drive in rush hour and it was pretty miserable. The nurse also told me to make sure to fill the pain medication script immediately, even if you don't feel bad. It's better to have it if you need it. Also, I wish I had thought to prepare a couple of meals in advance. Good luck!!

ETA: DH thought of another one! I had an afternoon appointment, so I got up really early and ate a high protein breakfast. The surgery scheduler warned us that afternoon appointments have a much higher rate of nausea and dehydration, so I took it seriously. Drink and eat for as long as you can so you don't feel really weak after all is said and done!

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options

Having just done this, one thing is quite fresh on my brain: don't try to take vicodin on an empty stomach (or a stomach holding just a few cookies and apple juice) unless you know you can handle it. I asked for it right after I woke up because I was in fairly significant pain. I got sick almost immediately. Heating pads, on the other hand, are great companions!

Warm socks-- I wore wool ski socks. That did their job well! 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I just made sure to eat lots of fiber (help with digestion) and salty foods (help with the bloating).  Also stock up on Gatorade. I was fortunate that I wasn't in very much pain.  It wasn't any worse than the worse AF I've had. 

Good luck with your ER.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I did fine with the Tylenol afterwards.  Get lots of rest that day, and try to eat anything too heavy or spicy. 

Good luck!  You'll do great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hey AmCheri!  Good luck with ER! Hoping for a fantasic ER and fert report for you.  Post ER tip.. gatorade and a heating pad!!!  Keep us posted hun and everythings crossed for you.
    ***SAIF & PAIF Welcome***

TTC since November 2008; me - poor egg quality,hypothyroidism,missing beta 3 integrin;
    DH - some MFI;

1 month clomid plus timing - BFN;
    3 months clomid + IUI - BFN BFN BFN

IVF #1 Nov/Dec 2009 - BFP - c/p;
    IVF #2.1 Jan 2011 - Converted to IUI - BFN;
    IVF #2.2 March/April 2011 - ER 3/23/11: 12 retrieved, 8 mature, 3 fert-ET 3dt 3/26/11: 3 embies - BFN;
    IVF #3 May 2011 - ER 5/19/11: 20 retrieved, 10 mature, 9 fert-ET 5dt 5/24/11 3 embies - BFN;
    Switched RE's for IVF #4 (CCRM) Oct 2011 - Surprise BFP before starting IVF #4!
  • Options

Thanks for all of your ideas. I'll definitely have a heating pad ready to go and a pantry well stocked with Gatorade.  :) I love the warm, comfy socks suggestion too. Nervous!! 

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    I had some cramping for about 2 days, but it was bearable. I second the heating pad, that helped.
  • Options
    I don't have any tips, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options

I second the suggestion to have dinners made ahead of time! Last time, I didn't have anything planned, and DH wasn't so great at planning and preparing meals - we ate take-out for a while! This cycle, I spent Sunday afternoon cooking and freezing meals so that we would have something to eat during the ER/ET week.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

- For my ER they said not to wear nail polish on your hands, because it can do something to affect the monitoring machines. 

- Avoid ibuprofen.

- Eat whatever they give you in recovery. You'll probably have fasted for a while before and it's good to get some blood sugar and liquids in. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink prior to my ER, so I had a late night snack the evening prior. 

- Post ER make sure someone's around to help you out. Last time I could tell I was about to pass out after getting up too quickly and it really freaked my DH. This time I felt good enough to go out to lunch directly after.

- We bought new DVDs and just vegged out.  

- Rest up and take care of yourself!  Good luck! I hope it goes well for you and that you have a quick recovery and healthy eggs / embryos. 

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"