Pre-School and Daycare

Poll: Your DC's favorite soup?

My kids are amazing eaters.... except for soup.

Somehow I guess I missed the window and now they're just not fans of soup.

They used chinese soup spoons at a friends house recently and asked me to get them some so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to get them re-exposed to soups.

So - what's your DC's favorite soup?

As always - extra love for links!!

TIA

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Poll: Your DC's favorite soup?

• DS wouldnt choose soup for his favorite meal, but he will eat it. We like sweet potato soup a lot (topped with cheese and bacon!). Other than that I usually just made a chicken stock based soup with whatever I can find. Throw in what veggies I have and any pasta or rice. No links, sorry. I am not good about following recipes!

Good idea about the spoons!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageVTbride05:

We like sweet potato soup a lot (topped with cheese and bacon!).

I've never even heard of sweet potato soup!  They eat sweet potatoes like they're going out of style so this might be the perfect place for us to start.

Off to google some recipes!

Thanks!!!!! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehowleyshell:

My kids are amazing eaters.... except for soup. 

My ds is the same way. He eats better than any kid (and most adults) I know, but won't touch soup. I think it's because the nanny loved to feed him soup and would make huge pots of different meat + veggie soups and fed it to him practically  every day for two years. I think he's burned out. The only kind I can get him to try now (and he doesn't love it) is chili. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs Manners:
     The only kind I can get him to try now (and he doesn't love it) is chili. 

I've got pumpkin turkey chili on the menu this week for Wednesday.

I was hoping that the pumpkin might mild it out a bit, KWIM?

• DD *loves* squash soup.  Honestly, I usually buy cartons of organic butternut squash soup at Whole Foods to keep on hand for an easy meal. 

No particular recipe, but DD also loves beans, so anything like Pasta Fagioli or Minestrone and she'll eat a ton.  I just don't put as much broth in her bowl.  Definitely a good idea about the spoons!

• imageC.squared:

DD *loves* squash soup.  Honestly, I usually buy cartons of organic butternut squash soup at Whole Foods to keep on hand for an easy meal. 

No particular recipe, but DD also loves beans, so anything like Pasta Fagioli or Minestrone and she'll eat a ton.  I just don't put as much broth in her bowl.  Definitely a good idea about the spoons!

DS is a fellow bean lover.   I made this the other day and he LOVED it.   https://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/11/white-bean-soup-with-ham-and-rosemary.html    I soaked the beans and then made the soup in the crockpot.   It took FOREVER for the beans to soften.   Next time I am just going to use canned beans.

Another fav is Rachel Ray's meatball stoup(too thick to be a soup but too thin to be a stew)    I make it with ground turkey   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/spaghetti-and-meatball-stoup-thicker-than-soup-thinner-than-stew-recipe/index.html

I made this chili a couple weeks ago and he devoured it

https://www.howto-simplify.com/2010/03/white-chicken-chili.html

• imageakayf:
    imageC.squared:

DD *loves* squash soup.  Honestly, I usually buy cartons of organic butternut squash soup at Whole Foods to keep on hand for an easy meal. 

DS is a fellow bean lover.   I made this the other day and he LOVED it.   https://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/11/white-bean-soup-with-ham-and-rosemary.html    I soaked the beans and then made the soup in the crockpot.   It took FOREVER for the beans to soften.   Next time I am just going to use canned beans.

Another fav is Rachel Ray's meatball stoup(too thick to be a soup but too thin to be a stew)    I make it with ground turkey   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/spaghetti-and-meatball-stoup-thicker-than-soup-thinner-than-stew-recipe/index.html

I made this chili a couple weeks ago and he devoured it

https://www.howto-simplify.com/2010/03/white-chicken-chili.html

YAY for links!!

Thank you ladies so much.

They are both HUGE bean lovers so that's a smart place to work from as well.  

Ready or not.... operation "we love soup" commences this week and hopefully by the end of this winter they'll have a new attitude.  I'm thinking adding soup to the menu once a week or so should be a good game plan.  Bonus points for me that soups are easier make ahead or crock pot situations too!

• DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • The ONLY soup my kids will eat is Avgolemono (Greek Egg Lemon Soup).
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • We don't eat a lot of soup in our house - too hot! - but she will eat chili. I serve it over rice, so I guess it's pretty un-soup-like by the time she eats it!.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"