Babies: 9 - 12 Months

could you be a surrogate?

I know I couldnt do it.

There is NO WAY I could carry a baby for 9 months and give it up. I understand that it isnt your baby from the begining but I still dont think I could do it.

whats your opinion?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: could you be a surrogate?

• i could but only to my sister.  She has a heart problem and had to have open heart surgery at 35.  By her drs, it is highly recommended that she not get pregnant.  So for that reason, i could for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP 7/6/09. M/c at 10w5d (8/14/09). Had D&C 8/19/09.
  • For my sister, yes.

MAYBE for my SIL. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, but I'd prefer it be a couple I don't know beforehand. I wouldn't use my own eggs, though. 

I've had lengthy discussions about it with my friend who was a surrogate for a gay couple. I know everyone's different and would feel differently but she says it's much different than carrying your own child. She is still in contact with them and gets updates/pics of the little boy so I'm sure that is fun, too. She's planning to carry another baby for them early next year (they tried twice this year but one didn't take and one was a chemical pregnancy so hopefully third time will be the charm).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PP's, that if it was for one of my sisters. I am a miserable pregnant person.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehcmamm1:
    i could but only to my sister.  She has a heart problem and had to have open heart surgery at 35.  By her drs, it is highly recommended that she not get pregnant.  So for that reason, i could for her.

if i had a sister i would make this exception

• DH says never, I say maybe for my potential future SIL.  She is 23 and may need a hysterectomy soon.

• Only for my sister.  I dont think I could bring myself to do it for a stranger. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would love it. Pregnancy was good to me Smile
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I could never ever do it. I admire people who could be so selfless. They wouldn't be able to pry the baby away from me after I had it.
  • For my brother and his wife yes. They've been through hell and I would do it for them in a heartbeat.
  • imageJerkStore213:
    I could never ever do it. I admire people who could be so selfless. They wouldn't be able to pry the baby away from me after I had it.

see this is me!

• I'd like to say that I would if it was for someone who I was close to who couldn't carry a baby on their own for whatever reason.  Absolutely for my sister, but that won't be necessary since she already has two.  I can't even imagine how difficult it would be though.
  • If I could handle the pregnancy physically, absolutely.  But I can't so booo.
  • Only reason I'd get pregnant again would be for my immediate family. My health is at too big of a risk to carry a child for someone else.

Even if my health while pregnant wasn't a concern, I am not sure that I could do it for logistical reasons. So much time is invested in prenatal and postnatal care (thinking along the lines of c/s)... my lifestyle couldn't support that. It's hard enough to plan for having a child of my own.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Like others have said I would do it for my sister. Having a baby is an amazing experience and I wouldn't want her to miss out on it if she couldn't get pregnant.
  • For my sister or my SIL, yes.  For anyone else, probably not. 
  • Maybe for an immediate relative, but no way for a stranger. I don't think I could be that emotionally unattached to the baby to never get to see it again (if that is what they chose).
  • I could. I really enjoyed being pregnant, it didn't start to affect my life until 3rd tri either time, but I know I can't handle raising a third baby. That doesn't mean that I think it would be easy to give that baby to its parents after it was born, but when I think about how easily I was able to have and complete my family (we got pg on our 2nd cycle off birth control each time), it doesn't seem fair that others have that much trouble, so I would do what I could. 

My SIL and BIL have been trying for over a year and are just starting down the road of interventions. She has a bunch of underlying medical issues (at 22!) and the sad thing is, I don't think she would accept my offer if I offered to be a surrogate for her. 

• I've never really thought about it... I think if it weren't my egg I would probably be able to remove myself emotionally from the situation enough to do it. I don't like being pregnant though so they'd really have to be something special ;)
  • I've thought about it but I don't think I could emotionally do it for someone unless I knew them personally.  I would love to be able to do something amazing like that for someone else.
  • For a family member or close friend, absolutly.  For a stranger?  I dont think I could.  I would worry too much about if the kid is well cared for, and all.
  • imagebuffaluffagus:
    Whereas I think I only could for a stranger. I wouldn't want the constant visual reminder my body carried my nephew or niece.

I'm with you thought it would be cool to walk around a la Phoebe and tell strangers "I'm pregnant with my brother's triplets!" 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"