Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Have you had a D&C?

So it is only my first day on the board, but I am trying to make a decision. My gut is that I want to let this happen naturally, but I am not sure I have it in me to wait it out. I'm also very worried about being out of work so long and delaying the start to the healing practice. So if you've had a d&c, please share. Are you happy you did it? Did you have any complications? How did it go? Did insurance cover it? Thanks for any info.
August 2015 January Siggy: Favorite Mean Girl

*BFP #1 9/10/11 Natural m/c 11/1/11 at 11 weeks, 5 days*
*Diagnosed as unexplained infertility*
*BFP #2 12/6/14 after IUI#2 Hopeful! EDD 8/14/15*

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Have you had a D&C?

• I'm so very sorry for your loss.  It's such a hard decision to make between the two. I decided on a D&C right away because I wanted to get it over with and start to heal emotionally.  The doctor recommended it because the baby was 9 weeks and I was almost 12.  It had been in there almost three weeks without a heartbeat and I couldn't stand the thought of that.  Everyone is different, so you need to make the decision that is right for you.  

I hate being put under and surgery scares me, but I didn't want to wait it out.  I wanted to get my life back and go back to work.  The D&C was an easy procedure and I was home 3 hours after I got there.  The recovery was pretty painless too, some mild discomfort.  I went back to work two days later.  I have an HMO and my insurance covered it.  Again, it's really your decision and what makes you more comfortable.  There is no right way or answer.  So sorry you have to go through this.  **Hugs**

• Hi there!

First off, I'm so sorry you are here with us having to go through this. This board has been so helpful to me though so maybe you can find some comfort here as well.

I had the D&C on Friday, Oct. 14 and I feel good with the decision. It was a very hard day emotionally -but for me personally it also brought a sense of closure. I liked the idea of beginning the process of getting things "back to normal" so we can try again in a few months if we choose. I had a blighted ovum and was still feeling pretty queasy all day which was hard knowing that there was no baby anymore.  This pregnancy was a surprise for us so the roller coaster of emotions from being shocked to excited to bummed left me wondering what it would be like to wait it out and I just wasn't sure it was for me.

Also, I teach First Grade and the thought of possibly being at work when things began honestly terrified me. My husband was great and was able to be right there with me until the surgery began and he was right there when it was over. There was some moderate bleeding that night but nothing extreme. There wasn't really a lot of pain but I lounged on the couch with a heating pad the next day. I didn't have any complications but did end up getting a UTI the next Monday which was not fun.

At the end of the day it is a personal decision on how you go about it. I'm happy with my decision but know that a lot of people have been happy with their decision to wait it out as well.

HUGS! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a D&C with my last miscarriage.  I wanted to just let it happen naturally, but once I started bleeding it got really bad really fast (going through a double pad every 15 minutes or so) and I went in for an emergency D&C.  I was already dilated by the time I got there, so it was actually only a "C", sans the "D &".  It was too late to get any effective pain killers, so it was moderately painful, but otherwise over quickly.  I recovered exactly as expected, and conceived again 3 months later (and just lost that one).

Insurance covered all of it (unless I have another bill coming that I'm unaware of), we have fairly comprehensive insurance (my DH has a State job), so not sure if that applies to everyone.

I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow, but I think I will try going natural again this time, I want to avoid any scarring on my uterus from multiple D&Cs.  Good luck to you, its definitely a personal decision. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First of all, I am so sorry for your loss....I was supposed to be a May mommy too Sad

I had a D&C a little over two weeks ago and while I am by no means "happy" that I chose it (frankly, I wish none of us had to chose any of these), it was the best decision for me. I had a "missed m/c"; which means the baby had been dead for over a week and my body hadn't started miscarrying naturally yet by the time we had the u/s and found out. Knowing that my baby had died, and that it could take weeks for my body to "get with the program" and then the fact that I would possibly be at home alone when the baby came out....I just couldn't handle that.

Physically, the d&c was pretty easy. I had general anesthesia, so all I remember is going into the OR and then waking up with my DH sitting next to me. I was pretty sleepy and out of it that night, and had some cramping and bleeding for a while...I am still intermittently spotting some, but not much.

It's a tough decision, and I don't think there are any "wrong" choices, I think you just have to do what is right for you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have (sadly) experienced two D and C's in the past 6 months. The first was done in a surgical center, I was completed under anesthesia. I don't remember a thing. Mild cramps on the first day, bleeding for about 5 days. My period returned about 4 weeks later. My second D and C was in an outpatient center. Less anesthesia but recovery was the same. Still waiting for my period to return. For me, a D and C was the best option for my physical and emotional health. However, whatever decision you make is the right one. Take care! (((HUGS)))

Missed miscarriage D&C May 2011, Missed miscarriage D&C October 2011 Expecting a baby girl in 2013!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Lots and lots of hugs to you during such a difficult time. I would have had a May baby too.

I had a D&C yesterday. I went in to the ER for heavy bleeding and found out I'd went through the majority of the process naturally but a very large clot was blocking my cervix and causing me a lot of pain and bleeding. My doctor went ahead and performed a D&C to lessen my discomfort. 
    The process was pretty simple. I was put under general anesthesia and woke up in the recovery room a little while after. I've had some cramping and bleeding today. Mostly I'm still pretty tired and 'out of it' from the anesthesia. 

My insurance covered all of it but my $200 ER copay. I will also add that everyone in the ER was extremely understanding and comforting. The nurse took the time to sit down on my bed and rub my back while she explained what was happening to me. Having so many kind people really made the situation a little easier.

I don't think there's any wrong decision in a situation like this. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My fetus measured 6 weeks on the ultrasound, so it is definitely taking my body a bit to get with the program. If it doesn't happen tonight, I think I will call to schedule a d&c. I need to move on and get back to my students.
    August 2015 January Siggy: Favorite Mean Girl

*BFP #1 9/10/11 Natural m/c 11/1/11 at 11 weeks, 5 days*
    *Diagnosed as unexplained infertility*
    *BFP #2 12/6/14 after IUI#2 Hopeful! EDD 8/14/15*

BabyFruit Ticker
  •  I am very sorry for your loss. I know it isn't easy going through. October 27th, I learned I lost my baby. My doctor gave me the choices natural or D&C. I decided to go ahead with a D&C because I saw the baby.. it didn't grow at all and plus I have an 18 month old that I take care of by myself.. so a natural would just put a lot of stress on me. I went in that night on the 27th to have something that starts with an L put in to dilate my cervix since I wasn't bleeding & my cervix was still closed. It didn't hurt, it was just embarrassing..VERY embarrassing. They gave me pain med. to take home.. it just felt like bad period cramps. Then I came in the next morning and had my D&C. It only lasted 45 minutes, I was in recovery for maybe an hour. I was put to sleep of course. The pain that I had was worse period cramps, the kind that make you throw up. As of now, I'm still taking my pain meds and still bleeding.. and have clots. I'm glad I went through with it because of the stress it would have had on me.. and my baby was already off in a better place. I hope everything goes okay for you.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hi--

I had a D&C in late August after my 8wk US revealed just a sac but no baby. The procedure went well but then I developed an infection. They saw that there was retained tissue so I had to have a second D&C a week later in the first week of September. Both were performed in office. I am doing fine now and looking forward to trying again in December. 

TTC 6/23/11, BFP 8/7/11, Missed m/c and D&C#1 8/30/11, Infection D&C#2 9/6/11
  • I have had 2 D&E's and it has been the right decision for me both times. It is a very personal decision. I choose to do it that way because I didn't want to wait. Patience is not a virtue of mine. I wanted to move on asap! I had no complications. Insurance covered both of mine...Unless you have a deductible that hasn't been met or co-insurance I wouldn't see why it wouln't cover at least most of it. I would call them if you are concerned or talk to your doctor's office about it.
    ~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL